Powerlet Outlet - Tracer 900

3 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

No, you misunderstand.  I mean, walking away while the gear you're wearing is still plugged in, so it yanks the plug out.  Does it pop out easily, or is it likely to damage things?  This is a problem I have with SAE plugs actually, as I often find them very tight and unwilling to just separate easily, and I'd be very sad if I damaged my rather expensive heated jacket liner by stepping away from the bike while plugged in.

Or pulled the bike off it's kickstand.

ahh... I gotcha :)    So I have a springy coiled cable on mine and if I do walk away without unplugging... which does happen...  there is enough resistance to let me know before it pulls on the bike/jacket too hard.   Also there is a clip on mine that I have clipped (to keep a button to turn it on and off accessible) that also would unclip well before it could do damage.  Powerlet are by design tight and hold in place very well.   So... either get a cable/wire to make that easier to realize when you leave it plugged in, get a wire that ahs an easier disconnect barrel plug somewhere in the middle if you are concerned about the connection to the Powerlet.   

2 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

ahh... I gotcha :)    So I have a springy coiled cable on mine and if I do walk away without unplugging... which does happen...  there is enough resistance to let me know before it pulls on the bike/jacket too hard.   Also there is a clip on mine that I have clipped (to keep a button to turn it on and off accessible) that also would unclip well before it could do damage.  Powerlet are by design tight and hold in place very well.   So... either get a cable/wire to make that easier to realize when you leave it plugged in, get a wire that ahs an easier disconnect barrel plug somewhere in the middle if you are concerned about the connection to the Powerlet.   

Ah yeah.  Kind of defeats the purpose for me, as I've already got existing barrel plugs and SAE available externally.  I'd just like to unify all my external power connecters to one that's reliable and safe, but it's important to me that it can disconnect easily.  I'm not super keen on chaining connectors.  

Not a slight on the product at all, mind you: a firm connection is a good feature for a power connector in many circumstances.  Just not what I'm looking for.

9 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Ah yeah.  Kind of defeats the purpose for me, as I've already got existing barrel plugs and SAE available externally.  I'd just like to unify all my external power connecters to one that's reliable and safe, but it's important to me that it can disconnect easily.  I'm not super keen on chaining connectors.  

Not a slight on the product at all, mind you: a firm connection is a good feature for a power connector in many circumstances.  Just not what I'm looking for.

Yeah the Magcode stuff you mentioned earlier is better if you want a quick break kind of connection.  But I am curious how they handle wind, turbulence, water, etc... for a long period. 

31 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

Yeah the Magcode stuff you mentioned earlier is better if you want a quick break kind of connection.  But I am curious how they handle wind, turbulence, water, etc... for a long period. 

Supposedly well; it's a pretty strong magnetic connection.  But that's the thing isn't it?  Be a big investment getting a port and a couple connectors just to discover that they pop off at 120kph.  

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/22/2021 at 7:21 PM, piotrek said:

Side of bike sockets are PSO-001and PSO-007 with a boot and a spacer available (here) and probably elsewhere. The socket on the dash can be had from Amazon (here). I had to enlarge the bracket opening just a bit, and spliced the socket it into the OE plug AUX circuit. The others are off switched power elsewhere.

Do you have a photo of where you placed the side socket. Did you use the Powerlet mounting bracket they offer?

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, MrClean731 said:

Do you have a photo of where you placed the side socket. Did you use the Powerlet mounting bracket they offer?

Not sure which one you mean... the front-left or rear-right. In each case I just drilled in plastic and secured the socket using backing washer and nut supplied. The only additional parts I used were the a rubber spacer and a 90deg boot on the right side socket. Let me know and I can snap the right photo.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

10 hours ago, piotrek said:

Not sure which one you mean... the front-left or rear-right. In each case I just drilled in plastic and secured the socket using backing washer and nut supplied. The only additional parts I used were the a rubber spacer and a 90deg boot on the right side socket. Let me know and I can snap the right photo.

Photo not necessary. Thank you for further clarification.

• 6 months later...

so I have a powerlet male to cigarette female converter.   but until I get to winter and tear down the Tracer I would like a cigarette male to powerlet femal converter.  I cannot find one.  does this item exist?  I really want to use my GPS but it has a powerlet male connector and as noted I do not have time to tear apart the front dash area to change out the factory OEM cigarette connector.  I need a converter for short term use.

never mind found it

Edited by Rdecae81