MT09 (FJ) Tracer Steering Wobbling

Hello ,
Has anyone Reported this Problem to Yamaha ?
This is a huge Problem , im going to try to report this here in Portugal,
if this does not change , i am giving the Bike away...
Already had at least 8 Bikes , and never seen this before...
Some Help from you Please...

Thanks...

• Premium Member
Hello , Has anyone Reported this Problem to Yamaha ?

Thanks...
I will suggest that you tighten up the suspension settings, set sag, and lean forward at speed. You will not notice it nearly as much if at all.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Hello , Has anyone Reported this Problem to Yamaha ?

Thanks...
I will suggest that you tighten up the suspension settings, set sag, and lean forward at speed. You will not notice it nearly as much if at all.
I've tried all of that and all the possible suspension configuration without the expected results, it improved something but not enough to allow me gain confidence in the bike at higher speeds and driving faster >:D I've talked with the vendor and they didn't do anything. It only resolved with a steering damper that y bought. If you will report the situation to Yamaha Portugal, then let us know the result. In other countries, like france and italy there is also some complaints in the foruns... 

Same here Milton. I have resolved to keep the aggression down as much as possible.
My steering damper just about keeps it under control, but I cannot ride the bike to its limits with confidence.
Whilst it is frustrating, I still think that the bike is great for normal spirited riding.
On a ride yesterday with some other bikers, I had just got past a fireblade around a left hander, and when returning to my side of the road I caught the white line while cranked over to the peg feelers. The resulting weave was very uncomfortable and difficult to get back under control.

Many bikes that I have ridden will often get a wiggle when under the same circumstances, but they sort themselves out fairly quickly, this bike doesn't. If you try to slow down quickly whilst in a weave it will often make the problem worse. I have found the best way is to brake hard with the rear brake to help slow down without loading up the front.

• Premium Member
That's helpful Scuff - I really do not ride aggressively although I do like to make spirited progress. On the occasions that I did get the weave I did not feel that it got out of control. I know that the situation you describe would have been much closer to the limit than anything I've done. But your advice re the rear brake is helpful.

• Premium Member
I'm quite a few thousand miles on since commenting at the beginning of this thread. I still have not induced more than the one nasty moment and that was after hitting the rev limiter in 4th gear. Like @ULEWZ I tend to lean forward under hard acceleration which seems to be a significant factor, especially with the size of my belly flopped onto the tank.

I use the rear on this bike more than any other since the fairly similar TDM850 I had from 1996-9. On that bike I wore the rear pads out quicker than the fronts. This is at relatively slow speeds around town on my commute and at higher speeds on open roads, with the aim in both cases to reduce loading the front as @scuff says. Again this will lessen any misbehaving by the front suspension.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Dont know if it will help other but on my bike i set sag to 2" in front and 1" at rear.
The screen at lowest position, the seat sits at lowest position to.
Not optimal for my length but the bike is steady as a rock to 227km/h 141mph, havnt driven her faster... Still pulling thou.

Guest branthopolis
have anyone swopped out the dunlops with more capable tyres? and see if it is because of the tyres?
Nothing wrong with the tires..        If you haven't already done so, have your suspension properly set up....for YOU..   Measurements have to be taken..  Instructions can easily be found via Google.  You'll need a friend to assist you..     Letting a few PSI out of the tires will help as well..   Stock pressure is for a full maximum load...  If you are riding solo, you probably have WAY TOO MUCH air in your tires.. Unless you weight 400 lbs.. 

• Premium Member
have anyone swopped out the dunlops with more capable tyres? and see if it is because of the tyres?
I replaced the stock D222 rear tire with a Dunlop Roadsmart2 tire and do not have a problem with grip. I found setting up the sag and tightening up the rebound helped loads. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

previous I was on 36/40 psi; adjusted the suspension. it was much better but still face the issue at times.

i'm currently on 34/36 psi; have not really got chance to test it out.

let's post our suspension settings for comparison?

front preload: 6 lines (towards soft) (standard 16 mm;     4.0 mm ~ 19.0 mm;      4.0mm being hard ~ 19.0mm being soft)
front rebound: 9 clicks (towards soft) (standard 7 clicks;       1 ~ 11 clicks;     1 being hard ~ 11 being soft)

rear preload: 3 (towards soft) (standard 4;       1 ~ 7;        1 being soft ~ 7 being hard)
rear rebound: factory stock

weight of rider: 152 lb / 69kg
single/2-up: solo
tyre psi: 34 / 36
tyre make / model: factory stock

front preload:
front rebound:

rear preload:
rear rebound:

weight of rider:
single/2-up:
tyre psi:

Guest branthopolis
previous I was on 36/40 psi; adjusted the suspension. it was much better but still face the issue at times. 
i'm currently on 34/36 psi; have not really got chance to test it out.

let's post our suspension settings for comparison?

front preload: 6 lines (towards soft) (standard 16 mm;     4.0 mm ~ 19.0 mm;      4.0mm being hard ~ 19.0mm being soft)
front rebound: 9 clicks (towards soft) (standard 7 clicks;       1 ~ 11 clicks;     1 being hard ~ 11 being soft)

rear preload: 3 (towards soft) (standard 4;       1 ~ 7;        1 being soft ~ 7 being hard)
rear rebound: factory stock

weight of rider: 152 lb / 69kg
single/2-up: solo
tyre psi: 34 / 36
tyre make / model: factory stock

front preload:
front rebound:

rear preload:
rear rebound:

weight of rider:
single/2-up:
tyre psi:
As light as you are, you are probably getting closer to a more reasonable tire pressure for you.

Instead of burying this data many pages deep in an old thread, why not start a new thread, if there isn't already one, that is focused on people JUST posting their setup data to make it easier for people to sift through and try to find something to try as a baseline...  (in lieu of just doing it the correct way)

Hi everyone!
This wobbelingwobbling isn't fun at all...
Actually I been thinking of selling but I try a steering damper first.
Gpr, ohlins, Toby.
I know nothing about steering dampers.

Which brand is the best?

• Premium Member
Hi everyone! This wobbelingwobbling isn't fun at all...
Actually I been thinking of selling but I try a steering damper first.
Gpr, ohlins, Toby.
I know nothing about steering dampers.

Which brand is the best?
GPR seems to be the best integrated damper. I have one, but I am not sure I really need it with my suspension modifications. 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)