Side Cases Max Weight/Speed?

I'm enjoying the poo out of my first bike with hard luggage.  But I've noticed inside, there are stickers warning:

• Don't exceed 80mph with these cases
  • Weight not to exceed 20lb in this cases (or 22ish, I can't remember off-hand)

I regularly exceed 90 (on a closed course, naturally), at least for brief periods of time, especially when cruising open desert (on a closed course, naturally).  Can these boxes really not withstand 81mph?  What is the issue?  Can they shear off from wind force?  Are road bumps at that speed just liable to crack/break the mounts or...?  Does anyone know the deal, for real?  FWIW I've definitely (on a closed course, naturally) done 90+ with these cases on and they didn't explode or turn to snakes or anything weird like that, so I just wanted some additional thoughts from the gallery.

As for the weight, I haven't yet challenged the 20lb limit, but has anyone else tested this?  Is it just a really conservative estimate, or should I be seriously careful about putting 20lb in my side cases?

Thank you, new Tracer friends!  ❤️

They won't explode at 100+ (closed course of course) but a top box may cause a tank slapper.. Depending on wind the top box on mine will cause a wobble that could progress into a tank slapper - typically starts around 110 but depends on wind as to if it will start there or closer to 130 (closed course).

20lbs is no big deal either but most of my heavy stuff is in bags on my pass seat.

• Thumbsup 2

2 minutes ago, mellow said:

... top box may cause a tank slapper..

The previous owner was kind enough to include a steering damper for me!  I'm still debating whether I want a top case or not.

3 minutes ago, Steverino said:

The previous owner was kind enough to include a steering damper for me!  I'm still debating whether I want a top case or not.

I prefer the functionality of a top box that I use 100% of the time vs the need to go over 100 or higher which is a very low percentage and not much functionality...  The Tracer is not a fast bike, but it's a quick bike and that quickness is more than enough for my adrenaline needs.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I had my FJ09 accidentally up to 112 MPH indicated when the front started to wobble.

Luckily I was able to slow quick enough to avoid a tank slapper.

BTW, Joe what's the make and size of your bag that you mount on the rear seat?

My Kona water proof that I bought through  a group buy on the ST site about 10-11 years ago, gave up on me. One of the seams just parted and that was all she wrote.

That bag was just a little too long and made it difficult to open the side cases. I need something that about 20" long so that it won't lay over the side bag locks.

6 minutes ago, jimster said:

Well I had my FJ09 accidentally up to 112 MPH indicated when the front started to wobble.

Luckily I was able to slow quick enough to avoid a tank slapper.

BTW, Joe what's the make and size of your bag that you mount on the rear seat?

My Kona water proof that I bought through  a group buy on the ST site about 10-11 years ago, gave up on me. One of the seams just parted and that was all she wrote.

That bag was just a little too long and made it difficult to open the side cases. I need something that about 20" long so that it won't lay over the side bag locks.

There's a couple really good options.  I bounce back and forth between the Dry Spec D38/D28 combo

But, in AR I had these much more affordable bags:

FG Torrent bags

Edited by mellow

2 hours ago, mellow said:

They won't explode at 100+ (closed course of course) but a top box may cause a tank slapper.. Depending on wind the top box on mine will cause a wobble that could progress into a tank slapper - typically starts around 110 but depends on wind as to if it will start there or closer to 130 (closed course).

20lbs is no big deal either but most of my heavy stuff is in bags on my pass seat.

Agree, 129mph (closed course) top box, gets a bit wobbly😂

• Thumbsup 1

1 minute ago, fjrpittsburgh said:

What constitutes a fast bike @mellow?

lol.. obviously a judgement call, and a grey area... a quick bike can be fast up to 100/120... then it's not that quick but is getting faster, just doing it slower than some other bikes lol

A fast bike may not be all that quick but has a high top speed.

In the end, doesn't really matter much... buy what you can afford that gives y ou passion for this hobby.. and try not to kill yourself or others.

Yeah,  I got you.  After Ivan's flash, top speed on the tracer is 145 mph in 5th gear and 165 mph in 6th gear.  That's only 20 mph slower than the Hayabusa's top speed.  I'd say the Tracer is quick and fast.  I also have an FJR.  Those 1300's are smooth, powerful and fast.  I guess one man's fast is another man's almost fast.  LOL

• Like 1