Belt Drive??

BVEBRAD

I was wondering if anybody has attempted or succeeded in converting the FJ/Tracer from a chain drive to a belt driven machine.  I have researched this but have yet to find any mention of a belt drive setup for the bike.  I wish Yamaha would offer a shaft drive version.   

Brad
Selbyville, DE

Don't think I've heard of one but it would be interesting. While Buell demonstrated belt setups that work well on a high power sport bike they were integrated designs. Belt width, routing, pulley placement all take real estate which would offset some of favorite aspects of the bike. Need to deal with tensioning. Anything can be done with enough time and money and fabrication but that would definitely be a "because I can not because it makes sense" project imo :) 

• Thumbsup 1

I test rode both the FJ-09 and F800GT.  One of the reasons I ended up with the F800GT was the belt drive.

In reality, a belt drive doesn't add any more weight or complexity.  It's a geared pulley in front and a geared pulley in the rear.  Just like a chain and sprockets.  With 41K on my F800GT, I'm still on the original belt.

There's advantages and disadvantages to a belt.  First, you don't have to think about it.  There's no lubing or adjustment once installed.  As a commuter, you park the bike in the garage dripping wet from the ride home.  Go out the next morning and ride away.  A belt drive though isn't a good idea for a bike that gets taken off-road a lot.  I'll bet most FJ09/Tracers never go off road though.  But the design allows for it.  And Yamaha I'm sure, thought of that.  If you go off road with a belt drive, you can get a rock stuck under the belt that will punch a hole in the belt.  Usually that isn't disastrous, but it will shorten the life of the belt.

Chris

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I have a 2009 Harley Davidson XR1200 with a belt drive. Has about 50,000 miles on it. Pulls wheelies get ridden pretty hard does just fine. Still has the original belt. Last time they put a tire on it the Tech said the belt was fine.

That's a 550lb bike. It doesn't have the horsepower of the FJ but it makes a bunch of torque.  Belts do just fine. If they can drag around 1,000lbs HD's for 100,000 miles it can certainly work with a 430lbs FJ/Tracer. 

20190327_145041.jpg

726016_zpsnzybfgxo.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

There isn't enough room for a front pulley, and since a belt doesn't have a joiner link you would need to hacksaw a slot to get a belt inside the hole in the swingarm.

• Thumbsup 2

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada