Niken for Two-Up

Hello,

Till now I had a KTM 1050, a Super Teneré and a KTM 1290 SAS.

All superb bikes. 
The ST was very confortable not only to me but also to my wife. 
The KTM 1290SA-S is a great bike, but not so much confortable to my wife.

But the main concern is all them are tall bikes and I have only have 170cm high (5,7 ft) , always with tip-toes one the floor when stop in traffic lights or whatever. 

Only with me not problem to manage it. But with the two above the bike is not so easy to manage it during stops and slow manouevers.

And, after many miles, we had a fall during one of these manouevers. Not so big deal, but my wife had the foot stuck below the bike...

And now she is asking me to have a bike not so high and that I can handle with confidence during low manouevers and when I stop. 

But I not know if Niken can help me  about this... Even having 3 wheels...

Another doubt is about the seats... The one to the driver seems OK... But the one to the pillion???

What you can say about my questions? 

Thanks!
Duarte S. 

Edited by Dudu Manel

• 1 year later...
  • Supporting Member
On 6/23/2019 at 11:42 AM, Dudu Manel said:

Hello,

Till now I had a KTM 1050, a Super Teneré and a KTM 1290 SAS.

All superb bikes. 
The ST was very confortable not only to me but also to my wife. 
The KTM 1290SA-S is a great bike, but not so much confortable to my wife.

But the main concern is all them are tall bikes and I have only have 170cm high (5,7 ft) , always with tip-toes one the floor when stop in traffic lights or whatever. 

Only with me not problem to manage it. But with the two above the bike is not so easy to manage it during stops and slow manouevers.

And, after many miles, we had a fall during one of these manouevers. Not so big deal, but my wife had the foot stuck below the bike...

And now she is asking me to have a bike not so high and that I can handle with confidence during low manouevers and when I stop. 

But I not know if Niken can help me  about this... Even having 3 wheels...

Another doubt is about the seats... The one to the driver seems OK... But the one to the pillion???

What you can say about my questions? 

Thanks!
Duarte S. 

I am 5 ft 11 inches tall with 32 in inseam and I'm only on the balls of my feet with just me on the bike in full gear. I have the same concerns of stability of I bring my lady on it and whether I can keep the top stable. I would definitely say you cannot flatfoot on this bike unless someone offers a low seat height option. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

16 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

I am 5 ft 11 inches tall with 32 in inseam and I'm only on the balls of my feet with just me on the bike in full gear. I have the same concerns of stability of I bring my lady on it and whether I can keep the top stable. I would definitely say you cannot flatfoot on this bike unless someone offers a low seat height option. 

Is it like the Tracer with seat height adjustment? Low and High?

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Stew said:

Is it like the Tracer with seat height adjustment? Low and High?

Pardon my ignorance - what does the seat adjustment look like?

2019 Niken GT

25 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Well I can only speak for the Tracer (non gt). Take the seat off and there is a big plastic sort of lever thing that raises or lowers the seat position, then the seat clips back on in H or L positions (hard to describe, and the first time I tried it , both myself and my mechanic brother-in-law took a good 10 minutes of head scratching and panicking as we couldnt get the seat back on, until I noticed the H and L marks :) )

2 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

For your Niken? It's probably in the owners manual if you have one.

If not go here...

Wow maybe you can't adjust. I didn't see it listed under "Seats" and only specifies 32.9" in the specs.

Blue Lives Matter

5 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

It's more the seat width than height that is the issue for getting flat footed probably. You could probably get an upholsterer to narrow the sides a bit. I posted a link to a long discussion/review of the Niken, where the guy was raving about how great it was with a pillion, and how much his pillion loved it.

Here it is again in case you missed it....

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Definitely didn't see anything resembling this on my Niken GT. 

On 9/10/2020 at 6:14 PM, Stew said:

Well I can only speak for the Tracer (non gt). Take the seat off and there is a big plastic sort of lever thing that raises or lowers the seat position, then the seat clips back on in H or L positions (hard to describe, and the first time I tried it , both myself and my mechanic brother-in-law took a good 10 minutes of head scratching and panicking as we couldnt get the seat back on, until I noticed the H and L marks :) )

1868178E-4AAD-4D30-BA73-ED2F8F3EE50C.jpeg

5C1292C4-0423-4487-A219-164387D8F419.jpeg

Edited by maximNikenGT
Added under seat photos

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 9/10/2020 at 7:44 PM, Tango said:

For your Niken? It's probably in the owners manual if you have one.

If not go here...

Wow maybe you can't adjust. I didn't see it listed under "Seats" and only specifies 32.9" in the specs.

Nothing in my owners manual regarding adjustable seats. 

2019 Niken GT

• 11 months later...

Yes my pillions love the niken comfort .I only have a 29" inside leg and have managed fine by flat footing on the left side only. You can make it lower by fitting the lowering link which I have just done ,which probably makes 15mm lower.The effect of this link have made the rear handle better imho.You could either have your seat modified or if a gt model for a standard seat due to it being thinner .However the seat girth imho is the biggest issue and if this can be slimmed down at the cronyism sure this will be a big improvement .Another issue is very placement when coming to a stop ,ideally restricting of leg gives a straighter leg to the ground for support.The three wheels do make low speed manoeuvres with pillion easier.