Topbox sizes

I want a topbox. I have been looking at the Yammy 50L and maybe the Shad 58X/59X.

I think it would be awesome if I could have the ability to fit 2 helms in it, but wonder if it would be too big. Anyone have experiences with  50Ls? Or any other box that can fit 2 helms? Any Pics and/or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I have the Givi V47, which takes two helmets. I don’t use it much as I notice the mass with it being a large volume and both high and rearwards in terms of mounting. But, if you need a topbox then it is made of strong materials, seals well and is very simple to click on and off the mounting plate.

givi-v47_nn_tech_monokey-0-M-0233222-lar

Givi V47 NN Tech Monokey Case. The leader of a new generation of cases...

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I have the Yamaha 50 liter and love it. It will *maybe* fit two helmets - depending on the size. If you and your other have smaller heads it will work. If you have larger heads, it won't. I cannot fit an X-Large Schuberth and an Large HJC into my 50L at the same time.  

• Premium Member

I got the Large top case from Shad. I like it a lot , and it will carry two full size helmets easily. I find having the large top case very helpful, and while the bike would look better with a smaller, or no case, it is great for commuting or carrying extra gear when you are riding through several weather zones like in the Pacific North West.

I ordered mine through Shad USA, but I strongly discourage that. I couldn't get them to ship my cases, and they kept showing up on Revzilla and Amazon. I'm quite sure they prioritized vendors over me, and the the person who I interacted with at Shad (Daniel Rosas) was a complete ass.

If you are interested, you can search the forum for Shad Sucks and read about my ordeal.

Great product, lousy service!

• Supporting Member
On 7/16/2019 at 2:40 AM, kmev said:

It will carry 3 dozen ears of corn, though. 20180731_124124.thumb.jpg.daa4d14199e6816ee09da2d2226f8c85.jpg

Aw, Man...that smokes my Givi V46!

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

Just a couple thoughts...

First, there's a weight limitation for loads on the rack.  That weight limitation includes the weight of the top box.  

Buying the high end top boxes, will put you very near that weight limitation, leaving you very little capacity (in weight, not volume).  

That of course, depends on whether you'll pay attention to the load limitation.  I've seen scooters in Asia with three generations of the family on them, or carrying huge loads that we would think crazy.  And they do that daily.

I've used the Bestem top boxes in the past.  Light weight.  Strong though.  I've put a Costco sized box of bird seed in the back many times and it held up fine.  Givi makes two different lines.  The Monolock and the Monokey.  The Monolock is lighter...and yet heavier than the Bestem boxes.  Some shy away from the Monolock top boxes because...well, it isn't as robust, strong, etc.  Well, it's a lot heavier than the Bestem top box and that worked extremely well.  All you gain IMHO from a Monokey is the added weight that takes away from your load carrying capacity.  And it costs more.

The Givi E450NA is pretty decent.  Streamlined.  It'll hold two helmets.  Looks good.  Inexpensive too, compared to the Monokey boxes.  I had the Givi E470 once.  It leaked.  The front of the box was tall, compared to the rear.  From the rear, it looked great, but from the front, it was a barn door trying to cut through the wind.

The previous owner of my bike installed a Givi E460N.  It doesn't look good in pictures on websites, but looks good in real life.  Again, it'll hold two helmets.  I like how it doesn't have that barn door effect either.

Chris

I have the 58x,great box and it looks good  in low position.I can easily fit 2 schuberth c3 size xxxl (65) helmets in it.I ordered it  overseas from a company called motion.i had to wait 2-3 weeks to get it but price was unbeatable.

On 7/17/2019 at 7:23 PM, DavidS said:

Here you go.....

FJ-2.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_158.thumb.jpg.15104bedc7c3988262928d32b8dcd868.jpg

@DavidS... I can’t help but wonder, why newspaper under the entire bike? Doesn’t look like you have it under the cars or the tool boxes. 

To add to the thread... I have a soft Nelson Rigg bag on my rear rack, can barely fit one helmet in sideways if I open up the expansion zipper. Probably not what your looking for but it’s low profile.

-Skip. 

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member

@skipperT ....Way late, as just saw this, but the newspaper is for when I oil my chain. Easy to put it down and the next time I take the bike out, I remove the newspaper.keeps the garage floor clean, and the floor from getting slippery

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/18/2019 at 7:03 PM, KANNON said:

I have the 58x,great box and it looks good  in low position.I can easily fit 2 schuberth c3 size xxxl (65) helmets in it.I ordered it  overseas from a company called motion.i had to wait 2-3 weeks to get it but price was unbeatable.

Do you have a link by chance?? Been eyeballing the SHAD 58x for a while now..

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA