Weird sounds/vibes only at constant speed

There  is a weird state in the drivetrain when the bike is moving yet all drivetrain forces are neutral. There is no positive load driving the bike forward and no negative load slowing the bike down.  This occurs for me cruising along a straight and level section of road.

In this state my 2016 is its noisiest as the drivetrain components rattle about and freewheel.

I assume an undamped front sprocket would only add to the cacophony since it is one more metal-on-metal interface joining the chorus.

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

ok, update. Changed to a dampened sprocket and this helped tremendously. I never thought it would make that big of a difference. The funny thing is I still hear the noise at the same spot, but at least now I don't feel it.

Great.  Glad your situation is improved.

I was considering trying undamped when I replace the chain in a few thou.  You've convinced me otherwise!

The FJ is a rowdy little ride with plenty of noise, vibes, thrills and chills for everyone.  Sedate it is NOT.

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

@brewhaha - Since day 1 I have had an odd chatter or chirping type noise from the clutch, (most claim this is normal for the CP3 motor?) very recently I developed a vibration like you described.  I took my bike to the shop to have it checked out and they discovered uneven grooves on some, not all of the tabs on the clutch basket.  They replaced the basket, needle bearings, gaskets and fresh oil and filter, all under the extended warranty!  I just got the bike back and when I started it the only thing I could hear was the exhaust, no more clutch chatter - NONE!

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, com3 said:

what the heck is a "damped sprocket"?  in my 28 years of riding motorcycles, this is a term i've NEVER heard before.

Well they've been shipping on some new motorcycles for at least 17 years because that was the first time I noticed one :) 

The term may be misleading as it's a piece of rubber affixed to the cs sprocket to reduce transmission noise. I've never noticed any difference.

Edited by chitown

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE: I finally took the bike to the dealership. Long story short, it was the clutch basket. They only replaced the Clutch Basket, nothing else. Pricey to get fixed, but all those issues are now gone. Just another data point to add to the group. thanks @betoney, guess we had a similar issue.

Again: 2015 FJ09, 17K miles.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2