Tire Sale on Michelin Road 5 Tires.

• Premium Member

In case anyone is out looking for a deal, I just ordered a pair of tires from Revzilla for the FJ-09 at 37% discount for the front and 38% on the rear tire.

Cycle Gear is also having a sale, but Revzilla is priced far enough lower that Cycle Gear won't match. ($147 front and $189 rear at Revzilla).  I took a quick glance and the prices Revzilla is selling seem to be the same as Amazon and other outlets.   It's weird that Cycle Gear under the same parent company as Revzilla, has a price match policy and just tells you to order from Revzilla.

I've  been running the Road 5's pair and they've been awesome but pricey.  I was going to try the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 this time because of the lower price, but the sale makes the prices very similar.  I've no reason to try something else because I've been happy with the Road 5's, except that price tag.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 9/5/2019 at 11:21 AM, superfist said:

In case anyone is out looking for a deal, I just ordered a pair of tires from Revzilla for the FJ-09 at 37% discount for the front and 38% on the rear tire.

Cycle Gear is also having a sale, but Revzilla is priced far enough lower that Cycle Gear won't match. ($147 front and $189 rear at Revzilla). 

That’s on sale? 😱. No surprise that I gave up on Michelin years ago.  

I recently bought a set of Bridgestone T31’s and S22’s at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for $230 + $50 rebate, ya’ can’t complain @ $180 a set!

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

I recently bought a set of Bridgestone T31’s and S22’s at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for $230 + $50 rebate, ya’ can’t complain @ $180 a set!

You got that right!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:15 PM, betoney said:

How do you like the T31?  I'm always on the lookout for cheaper tires that perform.   Do you also get good life out of them?

I got about 15k miles out of the Road 5 front and about 10k out of the rear.  The wear has been smooth and even with no flat spots and the rear maintains a nice round profile, despite daily commuting on the highway.  If I can find another tire that will do that and fast mountain riding for cheaper, I'll jump on board.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, superfist said:

How do you like the T31?  I'm always on the lookout for cheaper tires that perform.   Do you also get good life out of them?

I got about 15k miles out of the Road 5 front and about 10k out of the rear.  The wear has been smooth and even with no flat spots and the rear maintains a nice round profile, despite daily commuting on the highway.  If I can find another tire that will do that and fast mountain riding for cheaper, I'll jump on board.

@superfist  it sounds like you get very good mileage out of the Michelin’s, for that kind of life they are probably worth the money.

I am fairly hard on tires and have never reached 10k on any sport touring tire. 

This is the first time using the T31’s and am in the middle of a 4,000 mile road trip. I’ll let you know how they hold up but am riding mountain twisties and holding 80-90mph on highways and not being easy on them. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, betoney said:

@superfist  it sounds like you get very good mileage out of the Michelin’s, for that kind of life they are probably worth the money.

I am fairly hard on tires and have never reached 10k on any sport touring tire. 

This is the first time using the T31’s and am in the middle of a 4,000 mile road trip. I’ll let you know how they hold up but am riding mountain twisties and holding 80-90mph on highways and not being easy on them. 

Yeah, my daily commuting is about 30-35 miles per day in traffic that's often 5-15mph with stretches of busy 45mph.

Though, when It's possible for me to treat a metered onramp like a drag tree or cruise at 90mph for the 90 miles up to the mountains, I do.  Admittedly, aggressive riding is only about 1/3 of my overall mileage.  I keep traction control turned off because I got tired of it intervening and playing pogo sticks with my front forks.  My opportunities to be a hooligan are far less frequent than either I, or the CP3 engine, would like =(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member

@superfist - Update on the Bridgestone T31.  First time using this tire and I am very impressed with its performance, if you didn't tell me this wasn't a sport tire, I never would have known.  We rode 4,100 miles on a 10-day trip to Utah and Colorado, through canyons and mountain passes and we didn't ride conservatively, lots of fast flowing sweepers, tight twisties, mountain switchbacks and a lot of high speed highway riding, many hours with the cruise control set to 80 or higher, and several episodes of heavy rain, even a torrential downpour for 90 minutes.  They performed wonderfully in all conditions.

Maybe I am asking too much from a tire, but I am slightly disappointed with the longevity, at a little over 4,100 miles on the tire, they are squaring off, front and rear and tread depth is about 2.3mm left to the wear bars.  New is 4.5mm??  Im expecting at least 6K out of them.

For a SPORT touring tire, I highly recommend them, for commuting or more conservative riding they should last considerably longer than what I will get out of them.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Dunlop started selling the Roadsmart 2 pattern again. They are Shinko competitive. $68 front and $96 rear at Cycle Gear + $35/tire install. I've put about 1300 miles on them so far.  Dunlop claims old grip with longer life. My last Roadsmart 2 front got 10k miles and Roadsmart 3 rear 8k miles. 

These are noisier than old Roadsmart 2s. There is a buzzing. It isn't bad, but it is noticeable.

Grip - hmmm.  I leaned the FJ over more on these on the street than ever before. But I also slid the rear around tight switchbacks which I've never done on the FJ. With the TC on, it was easy to control. There is good feedback but I don't think the best total grip. They remind me of my old Dunlop sport tires on my Ninja 600 from the mid-2000s. 

So... I got what I paid for. I'm losing max performance but gaining good feel. If I get good life, sincerely I don't mind since I don't ride as hard as some people on this board. Right now about 75% of my mileage is commuting dead straight highways so lean angle is less important. 

I've been searching for tires recently.

I currently have Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's. I ride to work mainly and it's 40 miles one way and all but 2 miles is highway and traffic has a habit of going 80+. The highway has spots where it's grooved and it makes the handlebars shake slightly, these spots are rough too. I notice it in my car too. I have almost 15k miles on the front and 8k on the rear and they both have a flattened centers. They are both scalloping too, not bad though. The ride has gotten rougher since they started more construction on my route to work.

I saw the sale for the Road 5's on Revzilla $147 front and $189 rear. They also have the Roadsmart 3's for a decent price, $131 front and $172 rear. Does anyone have experience with the Roadsmart 3's?

• Premium Member

Buy the RS3s, I've had at least two sets of them and get good mileage, say a minimum of eight thousand front and rear each; and they're good in the rain and don't react to Tar snakes like the pilots do in my opinion

Dunlop may have some type of rebate going as well they usually do at some point during the year

I have the pr4 on one of my bikes but I don't ride it that much

A friend of mine races and is a Control Rider for track days and he runs the RS3 as his rain tire believe it or not!

I have about 6k on my PR5's and they still look like new. Love the tire. Value? I think so for a number of reasons. 1) mileage has always been better with the PR series. 2) I ride in the rain. These are exceptional. 3) Peace of mind. I've played with Sinko's, Dunlops, Bridgestones, Pirellies, Continentals, Metzelers and the Michelins have always been a premium tire. My old Connie with over 168k on it would eat all other tires up. But the old Michelin 89X 100X and the PR series have been superior to all others. I just followed suit with the FJ09. Yes they cost bucks, but again, you pay for what you get. And  IMHO peace of mind is the number one reason. They've never let me down. 

• Thumbsup 2

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

On 9/13/2019 at 7:00 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

Buy the RS3s, I've had at least two sets of them and get good mileage, say a minimum of eight thousand front and rear each; and they're good in the rain and don't react to Tar snakes like the pilots do in my opinion

Dunlop may have some type of rebate going as well they usually do at some point during the year

I have the pr4 on one of my bikes but I don't ride it that much

A friend of mine races and is a Control Rider for track days and he runs the RS3 as his rain tire believe it or not!

I went with the RS3’s.