Graves Exhaust Review

Larz

2 hours ago, betoney said:

@Larz - You could spend a lot of money chasing a few more ponies but the important thing (to me at least) is a smooth linear power curve and proper operating AFR.

I agree with his opinion on suspension, a properly setup bike will enable you to be a safer, faster rider who is in total control.  You will be able to hold a line through a corner at higher speeds with the tires firmly planted to the pavement and without the chassis diving and wallowing.  You have heard the terms "cutting like a scalpel" or "tracking like a slot-car".

Definitely. Probably going to do the carts. They set-up stock suspension, really pretty decent now, but almost out of adjustment on the fork. AFRs fine, a little on the "fat" side with Ivan's flash but the curve is good above 5K. I can live with it.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

@Larz - I originally got the basic "canned" flash from 2WDW which was a huge improvement over the stock fueling on the '15 model, it still wasn't perfect.  I called them and they said in most cases, the canned flash is all most riders need (in addition to all of the other benefits of the ECU flash) but not every bike is the same.  They also had me adjust the APS with very noticeable benefits. 

I talked to Travis again and decided to give the Active Tune a try, it needs to be activated in the ECU because you use the included O2 sensor (wideband?) and again gives very noticeable results.  The more optimized the fuel map is to start with, the less drastic changes the Active Tune has to make.  This year alone, I have used it from below freezing to 113F and sea level to over 11,000' in the Rocky Mountains.

I then bought the Scorpion slip-on and noticed a very slight burble or grumble on sudden throttle chop, never got actual pops.  Again, I called Travis and was informed that they have a specific map for the Scorpion, so the ECU went back for another reflash, and to set the default A-mode.  I am very happy with the way the bike operates now, A-mode is very smooth.

Like @StealthAu had mentioned, the only way to truly get a perfect tune for your bike would be a dyno tune, whether that includes a fuel controller for ease of adjustment or building a map and having it flashed into the ECU.   But, with that being said, for the average Joe, a "canned" flash is a dramatic improvement. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Larz said:

Definitely. Probably going to do the carts. They set-up stock suspension, really pretty decent now, but almost out of adjustment on the fork. AFRs fine, a little on the "fat" side with Ivan's flash but the curve is good above 5K. I can live with it.

Have you decided on brand-specific suspension upgrades yet?  My shock is a Penske built to Traxxion Dynamics specs. but I have heard GREAT things about K-Tech as well. 

58 minutes ago, betoney said:

Have you decided on brand-specific suspension upgrades yet?  My shock is a Penske built to Traxxion Dynamics specs. but I have heard GREAT things about K-Tech as well. 

That’s good info for me too... I’m planning on pulling the trigger on suspension if a Black Friday deal hits within the next week. I’m leaning K-Tech as well. My only indecision seems to be: carts for the front or the cheaper valving upgrade with springs?

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

@betoneyRight, I was thinking about the Activetune, mostly for possible improvement in mpgs, but when I saw that it didn't fully adjust for your Scorpion, decided not too ( not that a bit of burbling is any big deal, and I'm sure it does help the bike run better).

That MV Aug shop is a Ohlins dealer ( of course). Good deal on the Andreani carts- 1k installed, a bit less than K-tech installed and supposedly better. Saw them on the mechanics personal bike, very nice looking, big adjustment knobs. The Ohlins double clickers they'd want to put on the rear are pretty pricey, however. Probably should just bite the bullet, have them do it both ends, instead trying to save $ by putting a K-tech on the rear myself. They run a track day program, so can go have some fun and get the suspension really dialed in at the same time

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
41 minutes ago, skipperT said:

I’m leaning K-Tech as well. My only indecision seems to be: carts for the front or the cheaper valving upgrade with springs?

The biggest benefit will be external adjustability for compression if you choose the cartridge route. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, Larz said:

Probably should just bite the bullet, have them do it both ends, instead trying to save $ by putting a K-tech on the rear myself. They run a track day program, so can go have some fun and get the suspension really dialed in at the same time

There is a racetrack about 30 minutes from where I live, the local suspension shop is always there trackside on track days.  After I got my suspension installed, I rode out there and had them do a base-line setup, sag, ride height/geometry etc.  Well worth the money!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, betoney said:

@Larz They also had me adjust the APS with very noticeable benefits. 

Like @StealthAu

What did they recommend you set the APS at?

BTW, I really like my Matt's compassion & rebound adjustable cartridges and .95 Sonic springs, and the K-Tech Razor R is very, very good, it's at least as good as my Penske 2-way on my VTR

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

What did they recommend you set the APS at?

Its been 2.5 years but if memory serves me correctly, stock APS value was 17 and I lowered it to 13 and then again down to 12.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

Its been 2.5 years but if memory serves me correctly, stock APS value was 17 and I lowered it to 13 and then again down to 12.

Yeh, I think I lowered it too but my memory hasn't improved after 65 and now will have to check...  Thanks though!

• Like 1