WTB, 2015+ R1 front brake rotors

• Supporting Member

Hi @banderso - I assume this is for a big brake upgrade on the FJ/Tracer?   I did it on my 2015, and really like the results.  

Just my opinion, but the OEM Yamaha R1 rotors are cheap enough that I would just buy a new set instead of digging around looking for a straight used set... They’re about $115 each (+/- a couple of bucks) from the various online parts suppliers.   The other option is aftermarket:  I did the EBC rotors on mine, at a little over $200 per side.  

Good luck!   You’ll like the upgrade. 

-Scott

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, banderso said:

Hi,

2015+ R1 front brake rotors

Anybody have a set, excellent condition, to sell?

See ya

bill

LOTS of used R1 rotors on Ebay, I would check carefully for warpage, glazing and/or surface contamination.  I have to agree with @texscottyd though, for a few dollars more, just buy brand new.  Its kind of like buying used chain and sprockets...

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, betoney said:

LOTS of used R1 rotors on Ebay, I would check carefully for warpage, glazing and/or surface contamination.  I have to agree with @texscottyd though, for a few dollars more, just buy brand new.  Its kind of like buying used chain and sprockets...

You can’t be cheap when it comes to the single most important function on your bike. If you going through the process of upgrading (not like there’s anything wrong with stock) you see the value. Why skimp on finances at that point? Factor in the bolts you will need. I have a set of brand new R1 rotors sitting on my floor as we speak. Just waiting for my Titanium bolts to arrive from my favorite place, China. Should have them this week. Where did you get the spacers May I ask? 

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

Factor in the bolts you will need. I have a set of brand new R1 rotors sitting on my floor as we speak. Just waiting for my Titanium bolts to arrive 

Good Advise -

@banderso - take care when removing the oem rotor bolts, use heat and direct pressure as they use thread locker on the threads.  Its not too difficult to round out at least one of the bolt heads.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

47 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

You can’t be cheap when it comes to the single most important function on your bike. If you going through the process of upgrading (not like there’s anything wrong with stock) you see the value. Why skimp on finances at that point? Factor in the bolts you will need. I have a set of brand new R1 rotors sitting on my floor as we speak. Just waiting for my Titanium bolts to arrive from my favorite place, China. Should have them this week. Where did you get the spacers May I ask? 

Hi,

Got a set from @roadrash83

I won't compromise on brake parts..😁

See ya

bill

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, coachluciano said:

How is buying used a compromise? 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, koth442 said:

How is buying used a compromise? 

How isn’t it? $115 bucks for a new one. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

12 hours ago, coachluciano said:

How isn’t it? $115 bucks for a new one. 

So $230 for a new set or $150 - $170 for a used set. I can get the rotors and take the wife out for dinner for the same money as new. 

It's a personal preference either way, with no right or wrong. 

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
48 minutes ago, koth442 said:

So $230 for a new set or $150 - $170 for a used set. I can get the rotors and take the wife out for dinner for the same money as new. 

I would have no problem putting on used rotors if I knew where they came from and could look at them before i bought them. But I could not find any locally, so I bought new. I didn't want the hassle of getting a set of rotors off E-bay and installing, then find out they are warped. Then having to do it all the work over again and probably costing more money and time in the end.   

• Like 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
On 1/26/2020 at 8:35 AM, koth442 said:

There's where our logic parts ways - my wife hates me. lol.  But you are correct.

• Haha 3