How to install new Master Link.......

tktplz

I have about 7,000 miles on an EK chain with that nut master link setup and it's fine.  Working great, no stretch I can determine and it was very easy.. so easy, you worry at first.. lol.. but I'll bet these from now on, I'm sold.

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, mellow said:

I have about 7,000 miles on an EK chain with that nut master link setup and it's fine.  Working great, no stretch I can determine and it was very easy.. so easy, you worry at first.. lol.. but I'll bet these from now on, I'm sold.

I think having one of these as a spare in the bikes tool kit with the mini breaker would be cheap insurance while on a trip.  I might not ever need it but its there and doesn't take up any space.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

8 hours ago, mellow said:

Working great, no stretch I can determine

This is why I love the X-Ring chain. The 530 I put on my ZRX1100 with ZX11 cams was on there 30,000 miles and I had to adj it twice. And it wasn't worn out by a long shot when I sold it. X-Ring chain and Vortex Steel Sprockets. Here's a pic of the ZRX1100, Eddie Lawson Replica.IMG_5112.thumb.JPG.58ef196a142a8b0339901b92db3a3256.JPG

Dang that Muzzy was LOUD!!!!!! Sounded like a jar full of hornets, LOL!

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, tktplz said:

This is why I love the X-Ring chain. The 530 I put on my ZRX1100 with ZX11 cams was on there 30,000 miles and I had to adj it twice. And it wasn't worn out by a long shot when I sold it. X-Ring chain and Vortex Steel Sprockets. Here's a pic of the ZRX1100, Eddie Lawson Replica.IMG_5112.thumb.JPG.58ef196a142a8b0339901b92db3a3256.JPG

Dang that Muzzy was LOUD!!!!!! Sounded like a jar full of hornets, LOL!

That is one sweet bike, I had a 83 Lawson Replica. 

• Like 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, got out today on put on the new chain. I had kept the maint up on the stock chain but after having an EK chain on both Liter bikes I had before, maybe it was psychosomatic, but it didn't feel as smooth as new. With right around 12,000 miles on the bike the sprockets weren't worn and I tightened up the stock and checked it for a tight spot and not 1 even though I was sure I felt it, LOL!  Thought about a tooth smaller on the front to maybe give it more engine braking in 2nd and 3rd. Oh well, weighed the difference of more engine braking and more on throttle buck when going on and off throttle through the corners and decided to leave the gearing stock and leave on the stock sprockets.  

The master link is deceiving tightening it down. Thought I had it tight. Looked pretty much the same width as the links next to it. I know, I hadn't gotten off my arse to get the electronic caliper, crucify me OK. It was eating into my palm pretty good with a short 10mm craftsman closed end wrench. I put a rag on the end of the wrench and tightened it up another 10 turns till it wouldn't turn anymore. I screwed off the nuts then and you could see it was well up on the shoulder of the master link. Very easy with channel locks to break off the ends, then a little grind with the grinder and viola! Took 1 hour total from walking out of the house till washing my hands in the sink inside. For 79.96 on ebay for the chain, 110 link, heck it's cheap.....uh inexpensive I mean. 

s-l400.jpg

ITEM DETAILS 525 SRX2 Quadra X-Ring ChainQX-ring...

IMG_7975[1].JPG

IMG_7975[1].JPG

IMG_7976[1].JPG

IMG_7977[1].JPG

Edited by tktplz
Gotta have pix or it didn't happen!!!

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!