How to install new Master Link.......

tktplz

You still put it together pretty much the same as a rivit style but do you tighten 1 nut a bit, then tighten the other nut a bit then go back to the other till they break off? I have a chain breaker/riveter. They sent a new fangled master link.......no instructions for it tho

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, tktplz said:

You still put it together pretty much the same as a rivit style but do you tighten 1 nut a bit, then tighten the other nut a bit then go back to the other till they break off? I have a chain breaker/riveter. They sent a new fangled master link.......no instructions for it tho

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, tktplz said:

I should have known......there is a YouTube video for everything!

Like they say on The X-Files - "The answer is out there".  😎👍

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Interesting. That doesn't really look easier than a rivet-style master link, but at least you don't need special tools. 

I don't have a motorcycle chain press, but fortunately my local moto parts shop loans me theirs whenever I buy a new chain. 

FYI, regarding chain breakers: I strongly recommend that you grind the rivet heads off before you use the "breaker" to push out a link on the old chain. There's a high likelihood of busting the pin in your breaker otherwise. 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, keithu said:

Interesting. That doesn't really look easier than a rivet-style master link, but at least you don't need special tools. 

FYI, regarding chain breakers: I strongly recommend that you grind the rivet heads off before you use the "breaker" to push out a link on the old chain. There's a high likelihood of busting the pin in your breaker otherwise. 

Thanks for the tip on removing the old chain. Yes I grind off the old rivets and use a punch before taking the old chain off. I actually haven't used the breaker do push out the old link. Do use an electronic caliper to check the amount I sinch the rivet down tho so the link is the same width as the ones on the chain.  After I break off the ends after tightening down the bolts I'll grind it a bit to pretty it up like in the YouTube vid. Once you've had a good chain you can feel the stock chain is cheap by the time you have 3,000 miles on it. Mine is at 12.5 and has links binding on it. Only use WD-40 and a chain brush to clean it and I think it's Bel-Ray lube on it. Anyway thanks for the tip. You never know what people know or have done before. 

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

I've got about 1500 miles on the screw on link with no issues. I used the same video.

It will last as long as a traditional riveted link. You’re doing the same thing, just in a different way. 

• Thumbsup 3

Let’s go Brandon

Hey @norcal616...  I know you do track days and a lot of high-performance riding.  Thus I'm surprised that you use the clip style master link.

I thought it was considered a really risky fastener and could come flying off at speed.

Please educate me (us) regarding the clip style master link and its safety / usage.  It would sure make my life easier (if it didn't kill me first).

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Hey @norcal616...  I know you do track days and a lot of high-performance riding.  Thus I'm surprised that you use the clip style master link.

I thought it was considered a really risky fastener and could come flying off at speed.

Please educate me (us) regarding the clip style master link and its safety / usage.  It would sure make my life easier (if it didn't kill me first).

I always heard the same thing, clip style is for dirt bikes or small cc streetbikes everything else used rivet link??.

29 minutes ago, nhchris said:

I cant really say they are risky, I have used em for years on dirt bikes, quads, motorcycles, pedal bikes, machines at work, etc... they are what I have known/used for years but I really prefer to have a chain like how the OEMs are if one could easily remove chain from bike without having to drop the swingarm or grind/cut chain to remove... them snap off style links really do intrigue me but I dont know anyone personally to use em that I can go visit and talk to... 

I do see a potential problem using the clip style links if the front sprocket is "damping style" which would cause the outside chain links to ride on the damper and potentially causing some problems since the master link clip would also potentially ride on the damper...

I currently use a clip style one on my FZ-07 but have not gotten to the point of replacing chain on my FJ-09

I have a few extra clips/links on hand- I only use em one/maybe 2 times if I take the clip/link off after I have put the chain to use... 

Like I mentioned before- keep the open split end of the clip facing the rear tire so the open split end does not go head first into the front sprocket cover or lower chain guide(dirt bikes, etc) potentially getting one of the split ends caught... 

This is not an endorsement to use clip style master links over other styles or to say they are safer vs others...its just my own personal preference...

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Got it.

I've used them on racing Karts with smaller chain and never had a problem. But I replaced the chains and clip links after every race.

Good food for thought on high-perf motorcycle chains.

And thanks for the reply.

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09