Is there no fuel filter?!

keithu

On 3/1/2020 at 9:13 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

Thanks Nor but that presumes I'll recall this thread,  & Skip, so there's no answer if deal gets in the filter, yet...

Wait... what? you lost me....
Are you asking if debris can get past the fuel filter?

-S

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 4:17 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

Typo, if crap loads up the screen/filter, we're SOL?

Yes. But it would take a REALLY contaminated fuel source to phuck up and clog the filter. I really wouldn't stress about it. If you're in doubt, check your fuel pressure, a clogged filter can cause a low reading on the fuel pressure tester gauge.

-S

• Thumbsup 1

This fuel inlet screen can be found on any engine with a pump in the tank and clearly can only stop large objects but one could install a real inline filter to protect the injectors. Worth a try.

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Mvich said:

This fuel inlet screen can be found on any engine with a pump in the tank and clearly can only stop large objects but one could install a real inline filter to protect the injectors. Worth a try.

I don't think that's true. My two previous fuel injected bikes (BMW K100RS and Triumph TT600) didn't have a screen, there was just a pickup tube drawing fuel through an in-tank canister filter before the pump. Hence I expected to find a similar filter in the FJ-09.

I based my comment on my outboard motor. It has two inline filters, one for debris and one for H2O. I haven't seen the FJ-09 fuel schematic beyond what was posted on this thread & I don't want to be confused with someone who knows what they are talking about :)

• 2 weeks later...

So the FZ-07 Filter is almost certainly a Denso fuel pump assembly most of which have an integrated non serviceable fuel filter.  Actually I’m pretty sure most Japanese and Eruo bikes have some variant of a Denso fuel pump/filter system.  My old Triumph 1050 had a similar system and I managed to develop a work around.  (Hope the link to my G-Drive document works?)

BA9D3491-7A99-43CD-96A3-633B3E6CBCAB.thumb.jpeg.0391cea1551dde7047eb23a3ffb35c60.jpeg

0B364F06-B919-456A-9077-8E0285C6C21B.jpeg

40831F2E-BED4-4630-9864-A012949A4214.jpeg

Edited by 3banger
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/4/2020 at 8:47 AM, 3banger said:

So the FZ-07 Filter is almost certainly a Denso fuel pump assembly most of which have an integrated non serviceable fuel filter.  Actually I’m pretty sure most Japanese and Eruo bikes have some variant of a Denso fuel pump/filter system.  My old Triumph 1050 had a similar system and I managed to develop a work around.  

When I had my FJ-09 tank apart I noticed that the fuel pump had a Mitsubishi logo on it, so not Denso. It looks like the same basic concept though.

I'm confused  by your photos. Is your added fuel filter before or after the pump?

My added filter is after the pump and external to the tank.  The OEM design also has the main filter after the pump its just part of the white plastic assembly.  The only thing before the pump inlet is the pickup screen.  The filter is to protect the injectors.

• Thumbsup 1

Does my link to my google doc work?  It might only work for others with google drives?  Anyway, it is PDF describing step by step what I did and why.  I couldn’t load a pdf doc to this forum.

• Premium Member

Because I am oldish, I didn't realize there was a link...

You are more insane than I am!  Now I understand you did this mod on a Triumph and not the FJ-09 as much as an exercise to see if you could do it as to save money down the road (pun intended).  To challenge yourself.  Personally, the time spent and chance of creating a Roman Candle you straddle between your legs would not make this project worthwhile to me even though a new pump and O-ring is $271 + shipping.

Very nice effort though but doing something similar to our FJ -09 would entail a entirely new and more extensive R&D effort, as our fuel pump appears to have a fuel level sender built into it...

Shop online for OEM Fuel Tank parts that fit your 2015 Yamaha FJ09...