San Diego CA ride anyone?

wanderer

• Supporting Member
20 hours ago, ItsRichieRich said:

Maybe we can plan a 1 night trip somewhere. Having a bike like this means adventures! Short ones that is haha.

The Tracer may surprise you with its capabilities.  With the ergonomics set comfortably for you and the suspension tweaked to your liking, its more than capable of long adventures.  The longest trip I have taken so far is 10 day, 4200 miles but routinely take several 3-6 day trips throughout the year.  

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

14 hours ago, wanderer said:

Let's go on a date before we sleep together!

I love some quick couple night trips to the Sierras, so yes, worth thinking about such an expedition. IMO, 2 nights is much better than 1 night; for a 1 night trip it is hard to get far enough from San Diego.

I'll be a bit busy for a few weeks. Aug 13-14 daughter's bday weekend. 20-21 is her last weekend here before returning to college, and we've promised we'll go sailing together. Then Aug 27 - Sept 4 either I satisfy my dream of returning to Montana on the motorcycle this year, or I am stuck at work and we can do a day trip in SD on the weekend.

No worries, just something I wanted to bring up and gauge interest. All of my rides have been short stints besides a ride from San Diego to Sacramento on my sportbike when I was 22. Never doing that again on a sportbike.

Also, here's the FJ-09 I just picked up!

13 hours ago, betoney said:

The Tracer may surprise you with its capabilities.  With the ergonomics set comfortably for you and the suspension tweaked to you liking, its more than capable of long adventures.  The longest trip I have taken so far is 10 day, 4200 miles but routinely take several 3-6 day trips throughout the year.  

I look forward to giving it a try. I was going to buy a brand new Corbin seat but found one locally for $625. Going to see if he'll go a bit lower on price.

Edited by ItsRichieRich

I'm down for a ride and don't believe Wanderer, he's fast.

I have to take my bike in for the 4K service and see if they can fix the issues I'm having. If not, I plan on selling it. I'm also busy but depending on where you live and want to go will determine how often I can join you guys!
Congrats on the new purchase!!

• Thumbsup 1

10 minutes ago, jamespz03 said:

I'm down for a ride and don't believe Wanderer, he's fast.

I have to take my bike in for the 4K service and see if they can fix the issues I'm having. If not, I plan on selling it. I'm also busy but depending on where you live and want to go will determine how often I can join you guys!
Congrats on the new purchase!!

Sweet, the more the better! Just promise me you guys don't ride like the sport bike guys... I'm over that shit.

What is the issue with the bike? I was looking at a Tracer 900 GT before buying this FJ-09 last night.

I'm having very bad vibrations and it's not something I want to live with and I don't think it's normal. 

If I'm on the freeway, and go above 60, the entire handlebar has strong vibrations that you can actually see it moving. The mirrors are then of course unusable. The engine is also pretty vibey and even if I go from 72 to 75mph I can feel it get worse. The right side is consistently worse than the left.

Sometimes the mirror thing happens on very smooth roads only going 50mph although the vibrations aren't as bad. I have added rubber footpegs and heavy bar end weights (I removed the finger guards). 

I'm hoping the 4k service helps (change of oil and look at the TBS) and I'll have them check the front tire balance and anything else they can think of thanks to suggestions from this forum. I take it to National City motorcycles and that's where I got the tires put on as well. At this point, it's a fantastic canyon carver but I can't do long distance freeway because my right hand hurts too bad. Even on the backroads it can be bad. I got the suspension tuned and the guy said my front sping was way too weak for my weight so I'm not sure if that's part of it. I don't want to spend money on suspension if I'm not keeping it.

With all of this said, I'm sure it's just something with my bike alone. It's my first big bike so I'm not sure if some of this is normal. My previous, and first, bike was a 2016 Honda CB500F and it's a little 50hp twin. Even going 80 on the freeway with that bike was noticeably smoother than this triple.

Again, this is a problem with my bike so I'm sure your FJ is going to be loads of fun.

Edited by jamespz03
  • Thumbsup 1

20 minutes ago, ItsRichieRich said:

Sweet, the more the better! Just promise me you guys don't ride like the sport bike guys... I'm over that shit.

What is the issue with the bike? I was looking at a Tracer 900 GT before buying this FJ-09 last night.

LOL, says the guy with a knee down.....I'm there just to enjoy the ride. When I get there, I get there so I'll be the slow guy in the back.

• Thumbsup 1

8 minutes ago, jamespz03 said:

LOL, says the guy with a knee down.....I'm there just to enjoy the ride. When I get there, I get there so I'll be the slow guy in the back.

Knee down at track only my friend 😉

Sorry to hear about the Tracer 900 GT... hopefully they can fix it!

• Thumbsup 1

@ItsRichieRich, @jamespz03, shall we meet Saturday 8/27? 

opt 1. meet at Circle K SR76 & Old Hwy 395 (just off I-15) 11am. Scoot up Palomar South Grade, down the East Grade, stop at Josie's Hideaway on SR-76, get lunch, and ponder next steps.

opt 2. meet at Josie's 11:30am, get lunch, do a loop.

I am down for long rides. We could head from there to Borrego Springs and the 100+F heat :).

On 8/23/2022 at 9:57 AM, wanderer said:

Yes, perhaps Sept 3/4/5. Labor Day weekend. Happy bday to the lady. 

Sounds good to me!

She's turning 32, he request is to sleep in tomorrow morning. Go eat brunch, go on a quick ride on the bike, play top golf and spend all day Saturday/Sunday in PB and downtown.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:14 AM, ItsRichieRich said:

Sounds good to me!

She's turning 32, he request is to sleep in tomorrow morning. Go eat brunch, go on a quick ride on the bike, play top golf and spend all day Saturday/Sunday in PB and downtown.

Yes, happy bday to Mrs. Rich. Bike is back in my hands and I'm ready to ride.