San Diego CA ride anyone?

wanderer

Anyone in San Diego up to get together for a day ride?

Where? Depends on where ya'll are. I'd suggest either a Sunrise Highway loop or Mt Palomar. Either is good for me. I could be up for lunch in Palm Desert with a run down and up SR74. I'm in Scripps Ranch (near Poway).

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, wanderer said:

I'm in Scripps Ranch (near Poway).

I lived in Poway many years ago when I was stationed at Miramar Naval Air Station in the mid/late '80's.  Lots of good memories from that time in San Diego.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Betoney, me too but 15 years before you.  Ended up at SDSU and then at Convair.  No rush hour or traffic except on 5, mountain and mesa roads all to yourself, 5 bikes 2 with side cars and no car, beautiful weather, single during the "free love" era, no snow and real estate then was still reasoable.  Left for love in 81 and have never been back!  

Big sigh...  

I will get back there after this virus thing.  Maybe next year...

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously this cannot happen very soon what with SARS-COV-2 and us all locked in our houses and all, but hey guys, I am disappointed we're not finding anyone in San Diego!

Having lived in San Diego in the distant past doesn't really help!

• Premium Member

It doesn't help me either...but I want to get back one of these days.  Palomar Mt. is waiting for me, as is the Rongbranch in Julian, etc.

My avatar is my 61 Matchless G80CS 500 single Cafe in front of my old apartment on Upas 2 doors south of 1st Ave...

• 1 year later...

Hey man, we'll do it!

Before we do, I have some maintenance to get to. Replacing the chain, sprockets and a tire. Some of which I'll do myself, which'll be a first for me, so hopefully I've got all the right parts (replacement front sprocket nut arrive today) and I get it all back together in a timely way. This forum is a godsend for navigating through some of this.

If all goes well, maybe we can go the weekend after this one (24th Apr).

Jealous of you San Diego people.  My uncle had a nice place in Del Mar many years ago.  Upon my first visit there I did not want to leave.   Would love to live in the land of endless summer as I despise winter.  

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 1 year later...

@ItsRichieRich, my profile pic is stopped at stop sign, and yours is knee dragging. So you definitely ride faster than I do. But I'd be up for it :).

@jamespz03 and I have met met up a handful of times, our furthest venture was Borrego Springs. A lap of San Jacinto is about my longest day trip (with a stop in Idyllwild and a zip up 74 from Palm Desert, possibly including a side scoot to Palomar). Most recently most day trips have been simple excursions to Palomar with a stop at Josie's Hideway for a burger and non-alcoholic beer.

• Thumbsup 1

25 minutes ago, wanderer said:

@ItsRichieRich, my profile pic is stopped at stop sign, and yours is knee dragging. So you definitely ride faster than I do. But I'd be up for it :).

@jamespz03 and I have met met up a handful of times, our furthest venture was Borrego Springs. A lap of San Jacinto is about my longest day trip (with a stop in Idyllwild and a zip up 74 from Palm Desert, possibly including a side scoot to Palomar). Most recently most day trips have been simple excursions to Palomar with a stop at Josie's Hideway for a burger and non-alcoholic beer.

Hahaha, all that matters is we have the same passion.

I am heading to Irvine in a few minutes to go pick up the bike. Would love to join you guys sometimes!

Maybe we can plan a 1 night trip somewhere. Having a bike like this means adventures! Short ones that is haha.

Let's go on a date before we sleep together!

I love some quick couple night trips to the Sierras, so yes, worth thinking about such an expedition. IMO, 2 nights is much better than 1 night; for a 1 night trip it is hard to get far enough from San Diego.

I'll be a bit busy for a few weeks. Aug 13-14 daughter's bday weekend. 20-21 is her last weekend here before returning to college, and we've promised we'll go sailing together. Then Aug 27 - Sept 4 either I satisfy my dream of returning to Montana on the motorcycle this year, or I am stuck at work and we can do a day trip in SD on the weekend.