San Diego CA ride anyone?

wanderer

On 8/26/2022 at 6:09 PM, afineAmerican said:

Last week I rode from San Diego up to Dana Point, over the Ortega and down through Temecula. OBC in Temecula is always a good place to stop for a beer. 

How is Ortega Hwy? I've never done it but heard it's pretty awesome.

1 hour ago, jamespz03 said:

It's a lot better than it used to be. They're currently repaving and working on making it safer so there's a lot of new, smooth pavement. The Elsinore side is still a little sketchy, but the Dana Point side is probably one of the best rides in Southern California (IMO). 

• Thumbsup 1

On 8/8/2022 at 6:32 PM, betoney said:

The Tracer may surprise you with its capabilities.  With the ergonomics set comfortably for you and the suspension tweaked to your liking, its more than capable of long adventures.  The longest trip I have taken so far is 10 day, 4200 miles but routinely take several 3-6 day trips throughout the year.  

I took my FJ on my Colorado trip, and I was stunned at how comfy it was at touring. I ended up doing a bit over 6k miles in 12 days, and not once did I feel like I had to get off the bike due to comfort. I honestly thought I'd have to tolerate the riding position, but it turned out I way underestimated how easy the ergos are to live with. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

On 8/29/2022 at 10:59 AM, jamespz03 said:

It’s currently pretty chewed up (Elsinore side) and closed periodically for repair. I suggest checking closures before riding and keeping things mellow on the Elsinore side of the highway until they complete construction. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I lean to Sunday. I am trying to put together an outing to the SDSU Aztecs game Saturday for the opening of Snapdragon Stadium.

Go Aztecs!

I graduated in 76 after 5 years in engineering. 

Can't remember much about the old campus stadium other than it wasn't big.  Snapdragon replaced Jack Murphy Stadium, wow!

I remember the Padres and Chargers played there.  Before games some of my buds would hit a nearby topless bar in an old WW2 era quonset hut before or after games.  Talk about grungy but that was SD back then.

Downtown had a red-light district sailors frequented and it was like stepping back into 1963 until apparently the Gss Light District recreation that happened after I left.

My kid says your having a Santa Ana or new millennium heat wave.  Back in the 60s and 70s Santa Ana's happened a couple of times a summer for at most a week.  Other than 1 year, I didn't have heat or AC and on average it was tolerable.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I recently (August 2023) moved to the San Diego county (north of the county), from San Francisco Bay Area.

I used to ride in the Santa Cruz mountains, Mount Hamilton, Calaveras Rd, to name a few.

What are the fun roads in the area ?

Thanks

Edited by Xstoff

8 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Join a local club or meet up group

But head south toward Campo and northeast to Julian and Palomar...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those places!

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, Xstoff said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those places!

To Campo

Take 12S south of La Mesa to 94 Campo Road.  Pick a off traffic time as it's a 2 lane rollercoaster

To Julian

79 North off 8 west of Alpine

Or

78 off 56 out of Escondito

Mount Palomar Observatory

15 to 76 via S6 in and S7 out or visa versa

Again, during off weekday hours but weekends can be wacko

Then start picking your own routes based on input from other kneedraggers whom your are sure to meet on nice days

Last time I was in San Diego this last March it snowed in the mountains 22 inches!  But I did go out to Campo twice, from or to which there are a couple of other good routes; as there are for Julian and Mt. P