Tutoro Trek automatic oiler kit

• Supporting Member

Well... I'm giving this thing a shot. Looks like an uncomplicated kit. Got spare nozzles as you suggested elsewhere. The shark fin I can do without... so the Patrol kit is what I bought.

The oiler should come very handy on longer trips. I do look after my chain... but I find it a nuisance when touring.

Gonna try the gizmo and see how we get on.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 8 months later...
  • Supporting Member

I am going to add to this thread with my installation... getting ready for a couple of longer trips this season. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised after a 200 km test run today. The chain is wet, with very, very minimal fling showing on the rim. This is with the valve open one revolution, at 22C. The valve is fully open at four revolutions.

The swingarm mounted bracket came from a cheap "cobra" oiler knock-off kit that I opted not to use. Tutoro offers an optional "shark fin" to do the same thing, but I already had this on hand and it looked easier to fit. It's fastened on there with epoxy... possibly forever. 😜

Front end, with the reservoir mounted to a pannier mounting point on the rear peg bracket...

tutoro_1.thumb.jpg.cd190039bd5a387cce3eb62ad6755a0e.jpg

Rear end, with the hose guide and the nozzle...

tutoro_2.thumb.jpg.dbab76daaab70069b7f67c43abb502b9.jpg

Reservoir mounted using a stand-off...

tutoro_3.thumb.jpg.979a545bd8851f66ae41ee13be4b78b3.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

The Tutoro is the bee's knees for anyone who puts on a lot of miles commuting, especially if you ride in salt. You just ride and know your chain is well looked after. Never do you have to clean your chain and it will last a long time. Just keep an eye on the reservoir (it really doesn't use much at all), and look at the chain now and then to make sure it's a nice wet oil coverage and no excessive fling. I've used mine on three bikes now and over 100 000 kms. At some point, you'll need to replace the tip as it is a wear item, but it lasts a long time. The dual nozzle is a waste of time; don't bother with it as it is not necessary. And, yes, you have to order from the UK and, yes, there will be some oil fling, but you will never have to touch your chain until it is time to swap it out after a long and full service life. 

If you ride your bike only on sunny Sunday's, it's probably not the setup for you. You have plenty of time to agonize over your chain. 

Edited by larolco
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
On 6/29/2024 at 12:03 AM, larolco said:

The Tutoro is the bee's knees for anyone who puts on a lot of miles commuting, especially if you ride in salt.

I intended to use this while touring. I don't mind checking on, and maintaining my chain after a week of commuting, but now that the kit is on there... it will probably stay put. I might try and find a less in-your-face route for the hose if that's going to be the case (done... updated photos). I noticed a nickel sized puddle on the ground this morning... so that's a bit annoying.

My tubing runs along the underside of the swingarm, not the top. Pretty much invisible. 

I can't quite tell from your pics, but it looks like you have a bit of an uphill run after the chain guard. For best results, try to keep a consistent downward run. 

I don't know what oil you're using, but it looks quite green. My Tutoro oil is darker. Maybe it's just the photo. If you're using a different oil, that may be the cause of the puddle. That shouldn't happen unless you're over-oiling. 

• Thumbsup 2

My Tuturo never dripped on the ground and agree with not wanting any loop, and I vaguely remember their oil being green.

Edited by Ride365
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

NEBO manual oiler but routing Same Same problem as for ANY chain oiler discussed in this thread.

I know Daz knows but did anyone else notice my routing inside the left swingarm arm and my little tube clamps under the stock formed & punched clear coated aluminum swing arm reinforcement doubler bolt heads?

Also, the feed tube-in-tube with stiffener wire from attachment / angle adjuster assembly only taped to the underside of d'arm

Only 4 zip ties total, 1 lil guy almost invisible down at the chain guard, the second a belt & suspenders on the tube-in-tube stiffener, and 2 stacked loud & proud on the pannier support down tube; the latter two I may replace with tape-on tube clamps on the unseen side of the pannier bracket.

This is how I did it.  As BauHaus, "Art In To Industry" and "Less Is More"

So the hose down is artful and really not an issue handhold wise when hoisting it up on the centerstand 

With no pillion to worry about, as it looks like my oil dispensers very precisely located, very rigid custom stamped 1.5 mm 6061-T6 zinc chromate primed aluminum bracket would be a problem but isn't.

I sat up there and the oiler was no issue, I think...I have no can.

Now anyone have anything to say? 🤔 😭 

20240609_115434.jpg

20240609_115518.jpg

20240623_122939.jpg

20240607_204316.jpg

20240607_204308.jpg

20240607_204254.jpg

20240607_204228.jpg

20240607_204242.jpg

20240607_204625.jpg

20240603_114047.jpg

20240605_140454.jpg

20240606_210918.jpg

20240606_210816.jpg

20240607_000258.jpg

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, larolco said:

My tubing runs along the underside of the swingarm, not the top. Pretty much invisible. 

I can't quite tell from your pics, but it looks like you have a bit of an uphill run after the chain guard. For best results, try to keep a consistent downward run. 

I don't know what oil you're using, but it looks quite green. My Tutoro oil is darker. Maybe it's just the photo. If you're using a different oil, that may be the cause of the puddle. That shouldn't happen unless you're over-oiling. 

Yeah... I've re-routed a bit (updated pics). The oil is their standard green for ambient temps below 30C. Their red is for higher ambient temps. The manual mentions that some dripping could happen... maybe I'll reduce flow and see. There was nothing on the ground this morning, so probably just excess oil from the chain.

• Thumbsup 2

10 hours ago, piotrek said:

Yeah... I've re-routed a bit (updated pics). The oil is their standard green for ambient temps below 30C. Their red is for higher ambient temps. The manual mentions that some dripping could happen... maybe I'll reduce flow and see. There was nothing on the ground this morning, so probably just excess oil from the chain.

That looks pretty similar to my routing now. I run about a 1/4 turn out except for in salty winter when I open it up a bit more. I'd rather have fling than rust. 

• Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, piotrek said:

The manual mentions that some dripping could happen... maybe I'll reduce flow and see. 

With chain oilers, over time there will be some accumulated oil that drips from front sprocket housing as well as the chain guard.

It's not something you can totally prevent, or adjust from occurring. If you are tracking down the source of oil, consider those places. It is flinging off the grit and abrasive road grime with that oil.

A small price to pay for the benefits of a chain oiler.

• Thumbsup 2
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

• Supporting Member
On 6/30/2024 at 11:48 PM, larolco said:

I run about a 1/4 turn out except for in salty winter when I open it up a bit more.

Few hundred kilometres in... 1/4 turn works great. Hardly any fling and the chain looks great. The bike won't be seeing salty winters, but come October I might have to open it a bit.

Thank you for the tips.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

All very interesting. I only need a quarter turn for three hundred miles or more, And there's just light dust on the wheel.

I'm happy Everybody's happyy

By the way I edited my very short amount of text in my post above with the Many photos, which are unchanged and Beautifully photographed, if I may say so myself.