Cleaning, polishing Yamaha saddlebags?

I have the Yamaha accessory saddlebags on my 2015 FJ-09.   They are a matte finish and I'm having trouble cleaning and making them look good.   I've tried plastic polish and waxes, but they get a cloudy film on them and look worse than before.    Any tips?

Thanks

15 hours ago, streeter said:

I have the Yamaha accessory saddlebags on my 2015 FJ-09.   They are a matte finish and I'm having trouble cleaning and making them look good.   I've tried plastic polish and waxes, but they get a cloudy film on them and look worse than before.    Any tips?

Thanks

WD40 makes a surprisingly good plastic cleaner/polish. It leaves a slight film that stops plastics from UV damage and drying out. Spray onto the surface and then wipe around until dry to the touch. Worth a try and cheap.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I use Plexus plastic cleaner/polish on a lot of stuff even on my old Street Triple R matte finish and it kept it looking good. There are a couple of other brands of matte cleaner/polishes that may work also, Chemical Guys and Wizard's makes them also, and Auto Geek probably has something that would work.

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, streeter said:

Thanks

It is my understanding that you don't use waxes or try to polish matte finishes.  There are specialty cleaners made for matte finishes or you could use vinyl wrap or even do as @jdavis did and individualize the look with a custom paint job. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

7 hours ago, BBB said:

WD40 makes a surprisingly good plastic cleaner/polish. It leaves a slight film that stops plastics from UV damage and drying out. Spray onto the surface and then wipe around until dry to the touch. Worth a try and cheap.

I tried the WD-40 and it worked great!   Thanks so much.  

Paul Streeter

• Thumbsup 1