Stock Chain Master Link options

Bimbim18

So I got new tires, broke my chain,  a lotta work, but i got em on myself, balanced very nicely.

Went to put the chain back together and the master link I ordered didn't fit, the pins are slightly wider than the ones on the stock chain , by only 0.2mm, but no way it will fit into the chain. (I didn't realize masterlinks were chain specific)

Are there any masterlink options for the stock chain? It's a DID 525V11.

DID doesn't even list the chain on it's website and I can't find a masterlink for it. I'm sure there's a masterlink thet's compatible but they don't list pin diameters on their website either. 

Bike only has 6.5k miles so I don't think I wanna swap the chain yet if I don't have to.

Edited by Bimbim18

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Bimbim18 said:

So I got new tires, broke my chain,  a lotta work, but i got em on myself, balanced very nicely.

Went to put the chain back together and the master link I ordered didn't fit, the pins are slightly wider than the ones on the stock chain , by only 0.2mm, but no way it will fit into the chain. (I didn't realize masterlinks were chain specific)

Are there any masterlink options for the stock chain? It's a DID 525V11.

DID doesn't even list the chain on it's website and I can't find a masterlink for it. I'm sure there's a masterlink thet's compatible but they don't list pin diameters on their website either. 

Bike only has 6.5k miles so I don't think I wanna swap the chain yet if I don't have to.

How did you beak a chain?  Do you mean you cut the masterlink to get the wheel off?

Here are some options for masterlinks. 

Sprocket Center is dedicated to being the world's premium provider of...

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@Bimbim18 Order it from Yamaha or drop by a local shop to get it... or get a new chain.

Also, why did you break you chain for a tire change?? Not necessary in the future.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

1 hour ago, Bimbim18 said:

I'm very tempted to dremmel down the pins to the correct diameter lol . (bad idea?)

I would not recommend using a dremel the on the pins... no way to know if or how much you weaken them and a snapped chain at speed is no joke.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

6 hours ago, betoney said:

How did you beak a chain?  Do you mean you cut the masterlink to get the wheel off?

Here are some options for masterlinks. 

Sprocket Center is dedicated to being the world's premium provider of...

There was no masterlink, I used a chain breaking tool.

And ya' there's a lot of masterlinks there, but there's no way to see which (if any of those) will work with a stock chain.

6 hours ago, duhs10 said:

@Bimbim18 Order it from Yamaha or drop by a local shop to get it... or get a new chain.

Also, why did you break you chain for a tire change?? Not necessary in the future.

1st time with an OEM Chain (no master link) I've always just ordered a clip on masterlink from the same chain manfacturer (which I did this time as well, but the masterlink doesn't fit)

Guess I just got lucky with that first one I ordered, after that first one I always ordered one with the chain.

In the past I always just removed the chain when working with the wheels. Guess I could've just loosened it all the way and finagled the wheel off around the loosened chain. Just how I've always done it.  

2 hours ago, Bimbim18 said:

1st time with an OEM Chain (no master link) I've always just ordered a clip on masterlink from the same chain manfacturer (which I did this time as well, but the masterlink doesn't fit)

Guess I just got lucky with that first one I ordered, after that first one I always ordered one with the chain.

In the past I always just removed the chain when working with the wheels. Guess I could've just loosened it all the way and finagled the wheel off around the loosened chain. Just how I've always done it.  

You are doing it wrong and have been forever. Stop it!

• Thumbsup 3

43 minutes ago, Toddtr said:

You are doing it wrong and have been forever. Stop it!

Bimbim, you're free to work on your bike however you see fit. However, you can drop the wheel down towards the ground once the axle is out, push the wheels further into the swing arm, and wiggle the chain off of the sprocket. Save some $$ on master links and time!

Either way, good luck.

• Thumbsup 5

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Bimbim18 said:

There was no masterlink, I used a chain breaking tool.

And ya' there's a lot of masterlinks there, but there's no way to see which (if any of those) will work with a stock chain.

There IS a master link, there has to be, its a chain with 2 ends.  It is a rivet type, NOT a clip type.

Riveting chain - what am I doing wrong? | Adventure Rider

I have never heard of a chain having a proprietary master link.  A 525 DID x-ring chain should accept a 525 x-ring master link, that's why you can buy spares, they are interchangeable.

You obviously have a chain breaking tool, do you have a chain press and riveting tool to replace the master link? 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Well guys thanks, 1st time owning a new bike, Like I said, there is no master link (all of the links are identical) and DID doesn't even list the chain on their website, from what I am reading on other documentation is that is the chain they sell to Yamaha, they let Yamaha support it.

I bought my previous bike with an aftermarket chain, when I had to cut the chain i replaced it with a clip (from same mfg, same model number chain) and a matching masterlink for both chains after.  And no, a DID 525VX3 masterlink won't fit a DID 525V11 chain just because they're both 525 chains. Although the 525 standard applies to everyone on the outside, the internals (Pin length, diameter, etc) is pretty much up to the manufacturer, and not uniform across all models (yes I skimmed over the ANSI standards) I was very surprised to see that, I also thought a 520 chain is a 520 chain, and a 525 was a 525... they are, but they aren't.

Well, at least i know now that the rear tire can be removed without removing chain if done correctly.

I am going with Scooter's advice, I like the specs on the DID 525VX3, and hey, I have a masterlink anyways. I'm just gonna order one of those try that chain out.

• Thumbsup 1