FJ09 KNOCK/CLUNK

FJ29ER

12 hours ago, iitywygms said:

Mine does the same thing.  I guess I will worry about it when it breaks.  Keeping my eye on what you find tho.

I am almost there to just let it ride. But it may become my main mode of transportation in the coming months so I figured id exhaust my shirlock skills.

The clutch noise on my '15 with 19k miles is getting progressively worse. It sounds like your klunk, but I have successive, continuous, various-interval klunking whenever the clutch is out, no matter whether I'm sitting still in neutral or going 85 mph on the interstate. 

My clutch has always been noisy - sounds like a rattling dry clutch - only this bike has a wet clutch and it stops rattling when you pull in the clutch (i.e. release pressure on the clutch disks, the opposite of how my old dry clutches would rattle). 

Last summer on my Arctic trip I began noticing the klunking at speed, which was new. Now, as I depart from a stoplight I get a sound like marbles in the gearbox when I'm taking off. I have the extended YES warranty and will be making an appointment with the dealer in a few weeks. I still need the bike for some work commuting I'm doing for the next couple weeks. 

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, kmev said:

Last summer on my Arctic trip I began noticing the klunking at speed, which was new. Now, as I depart from a stoplight I get a sound like marbles in the gearbox when I'm taking off. I have the extended YES warranty and will be making an appointment with the dealer in a few weeks. I still need the bike for some work commuting I'm doing for the next couple weeks. 

FWIW, my clutch was making an abnormally loud chattering noise (but clutch actuation and lever pull was fine), I took it to the dealer and they measured the basket and determined it to be slightly out of round or oblong, they replaced it under warranty.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, Scooter426 said:

Maybe starter gear popping back in to place? It is pretty faint.  Just get a louder exhaust! 😄

HAHA That is usually my fix. louder or exhaust or turn the volume up on the radio. That was the first thing I suspected so I held my hand on the starter and felt nothing. Crappy phone audio and clutch noise makes it quieter then it is.

1 hour ago, kmev said:

The clutch noise on my '15 with 19k miles is getting progressively worse. It sounds like your klunk, but I have successive, continuous, various-interval klunking whenever the clutch is out, no matter whether I'm sitting still in neutral or going 85 mph on the interstate. 

My clutch has always been noisy - sounds like a rattling dry clutch - only this bike has a wet clutch and it stops rattling when you pull in the clutch (i.e. release pressure on the clutch disks, the opposite of how my old dry clutches would rattle). 

Yea my clutch is getting pretty loud. when released in neutral. Def sounds ducati like. But nothing is constant yet.

36 minutes ago, betoney said:

FWIW, my clutch was making an abnormally loud chattering noise (but clutch actuation and lever pull was fine), I took it to the dealer and they measured the basket and determined it to be slightly out of round or oblong, they replaced it under warranty.

Man, I will put in a call to the dealer and see what warranty I got. I think i only got a three year..which I am past. But thanks for the tip

Edited by FJ29ER
  • Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Good to know. I'm expecting the noise to be dismissed by the dealer. When I transferred the extended warranty to my name I asked them to listen to the clutch  and was told it was normal. 

My clutch operates just fine, too. Although one time at about 1,500 miles the clutch went out of adjustment between stoplights in town. I adjusted the thumb screw at the next stoplight and never had a problem since. 

13 minutes ago, kmev said:

Is your bike a 2015? 

So that I am confused on. I just called the dealer and they said it is a 2015 and I have a month left in my warranty. But the vin, my insurance etc says 2016. I will have to walk to the bike and look at the build date here in a minute.

EDIT 01/15. So yes it is a 15 then

Edited by FJ29ER

27 minutes ago, FJ29ER said:

So that I am confused on. I just called the dealer and they said it is a 2015 and I have a month left in my warranty. But the vin, my insurance etc says 2016. I will have to walk to the bike and look at the build date here in a minute.

EDIT 01/15. So yes it is a 15 then

It seems that most people with this noise have a 2015. 

My FJ and GT have the same sound about 12 seconds after cold start. Just engine warming up noise, no worry's. The FZ may have done it also, can't remember (CRS).

Rob out.

• Thumbsup 1

My '17 has the same sound on cold starts for a long time. Sometimes nothing, sometimes one or even two clunks aproximetly ten seconds after start. I think that this clunk coming from expanding headers.

So i think im going to leave it at no freaking clue what it really is and being as everything functions properly etc....it is whatever. It is not getting louder and I cant feel it when I lay my hands on any part of the bike. headers,starter,clutch housing etc. Could be inside exhaust and just echoing louder then it really is.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, FJ29ER said:

So i think im going to leave it at no freaking clue what it really is and being as everything functions properly etc....it is whatever.

Good call.  You can worry yourself to death trying to track down a relative non-issue, or just enjoy getting out and riding it.   These things are ‘mechanically busy’ relative to many other bikes, so I’ve decided to dismiss a few random noises as just part of the bike’s character.    If something really starts to go wrong, you’ll know.