IGN power for GPS

hey all,

i have a 2018 tracer 900.

i know we have switched power plugs. should be on the left side, behind the front left turn signal.

i am looking to get the MT09 Aux power connector so i can make my Garmin GPS plug and play.

will the 2amp limit be enough to power a GPS?

also I believe there is a grey and a white connector... can anyone tell me on which page the Service Manual tells me which one i should use.

i remember somthing about one of them would be for yamaha OEM heated grips. and the other should be for adding a GPS or USB.

the one under the seat/back of the gas tank is for the quick shifter.

the one of the right side behind the right front turn signal is for AUX lights.

i am just looking to confirm this with the Service Manual but i cant seem to find the info i am looking for.

I have my sat nav connected to one ot the white auxiliary feeds at the front of the bike under the display operated when the ignition switch is on. Heated grip when I fitted them were on each side of the bike a black and a grey connector if I remember correctly. I should have a picture of the fittings I used if I find it i will put it in a post.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, alexreinke said:

hey all,

i have a 2018 tracer 900.

i know we have switched power plugs. should be on the left side, behind the front left turn signal.

i am looking to get the MT09 Aux power connector so i can make my Garmin GPS plug and play.

will the 2amp limit be enough to power a GPS?

There should be 4 switched 2a auxiliary power leads behind the screen for GPS, lights etc.  I have a USB charger, GPS and LED lights plugged in to those plugs and haven't blown a fuse.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

When I did the tail tidy I wired into the tag light and used that to trigger a relay to power my gps and heated gear. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

Also keep in mind that the 2A is at 12v.   That is 24w of power.   Your GPS probably pulls 1A at 5v at the most which is 5 Watts.   Use Ohms law to figure out the actual power draw in Watts to ensure you arent going to pop a fuse. 

• Thumbsup 1