10 Day Camping Trip Build

Hey Tracer 900 Forum, 

I have been preparing my 2019 Tracer (non-GT) for a 10 day camping trip and finally received and installed my luggage for the occasion. 

It was the last bit of upgrades I needed to do to make sure I could transport enough kit for myself and my girlfriend for a 10 day camping trip. 

Installation was fairly easy aside from getting the Givi bracket inserts that go into the OEM subframe slots to fit onto their brackets which required me to more or less use the slots on the bike to hold them in place while I used my body weight to pull down the Givi bracket to fit them onto the rubber inserts. 

These 48L Cases are huuuuuuge, surprisingly I have to check to make sure they didn't fall off when I start riding, they are essentially unnoticeable aside from the extra weight which is minimal. 

Other upgrades include...

MCCruise Cruise Control

Yamaha Heated Grips

Yamaha Quickshifter

Yamaha Heated Comfort Seat

Yamaha 50L Top Case 

Puig Touring Windscreen 

Radiator Guard

Michelin Road 5 Tires 

GP Suspension 25mm Cartridge Kit Forks 

Ohlins YA 537 Rear Shock 

Puig Enduro Footpegs 

Puig Trail Passenger Footpegs (not pictured) 

TechSpec Tank Grip Pads (not pictured) 

You may be thinking 'Damn my dude, why didn't you just buy a GT?' 
Well that is a great question my intrepid reader, the answer is I got an absolutely screaming deal at the beginning of COVID for this Non-GT leftover and I was planning on upgrading most of the parts anyways so the literal $5,500 out the door price hike to get a GT was nonsense for me. 

Anyways if you have any questions about the parts added, what the process was like to fit anything, or otherwise. I did all the work myself (aside from the forks) so I am happy to explain any questions you might have. 

IMG_0801.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2

Yes from the back those cases are huge. When you back up does it go, beep, beep, beep, LOL! You can tell you have a woman coming with you. Really tho, it looks like you have plenty of room for pretty much everything, have fun!

• Thumbsup 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

I would load your bike up with everything you will be taking and your passenger and go for a test ride. So you can get a good idea how the bike is going to handle with the weight change.

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

I would load your bike up with everything you will be taking and your passenger and go for a test ride. So you can get a good idea how the bike is going to handle with the weight change.

Before you do that, lay out everything you plan to take on the living room floor and then throw half of it out. You will want some empty space in the luggage for things you purchase on the trip - like food/beverages for the evenings, a souvenir, etc. 

Edited by kmev
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I notice you have both the quickshifter and MCCruise. I've read elsewhere that they don't always play nice with each other. I assume you've had no issues?

3 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

Already been done, we loaded the whole bike up this past weekend with everything we needed. Fortunately we have backpacking camping gear so it is all as compact and lightweight as possible. Even with the upgraded suspension we are still 60 Lbs below the maximum OEM suspension payload with all the luggage, supplies, and everything else included. 

I am probably not going to be bombing any canyons, it's heavier than normal but not unwieldy. Fortunately this isn't my first heavy weight trip.

4 hours ago, rustyshackles said:

10 days camping on the bike, she might be a keeper.  Multiple campground locations?

Yeah we're doing 8 nights of camping and in two locations we're visiting friends/family so we'll be staying with them or at a hotel/AirBnb. 

1 hour ago, kmev said:

Before you do that, lay out everything you plan to take on the living room floor and then throw half of it out. You will want some empty space in the luggage for things you purchase on the trip - like food/beverages for the evenings, a souvenir, etc. 

We're actually able to fit almost everything in the side cases completely, considering we're going to be strapping a couple of the big items to the top with bungie cords like the tent/sleeping bags we'll never need to go in there. 

The top case will have tire repair, frequently needed tools, visor cleaner, snacks, water, and anything else we need easy access to. 

33 minutes ago, keithu said:

I notice you have both the quickshifter and MCCruise. I've read elsewhere that they don't always play nice with each other. I assume you've had no issues?

I haven't had any issues with it so far, granted I haven't found a need to activate cruise control in anything other than 6th gear so if there is a weird interaction while cruise control is engaged and upshifting I couldn't say. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

And this is my 3 weeks load with full camping gear (tent, tarp, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, chair, tools, compressor, clothes, etc)

Wondering how much you are planning to carry

Those cases looks enormous 

7C86AAEE-0590-489C-9BE8-F39DC2C53C89.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Motocheck said:

And this is my 3 weeks load with full camping gear (tent, tarp, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, chair, tools, compressor, clothes, etc)

Wondering how much you are planning to carry

Those cases looks enormous 

7C86AAEE-0590-489C-9BE8-F39DC2C53C89.jpeg

I'll end up posting a photo of the full load the next time I pack everything on. We're carrying the bare minimum but we will have a camping stove and dehydrated food for about half of our meals. 

Not roughing it but not exactly a glamping trip. 

8 minutes ago, SKYFLIX said:

@mbassani, how do you feel about the GIVI side mounts? I've been thinking about putting a pair of 36L on my bike to complement my 46L top box. Do the racks feel pretty solid?

They are extremely sturdy, they have points of contact with the OEM mount on the passenger footrest bracket, to each other through a bar in front of the license plate, and through the slots next to the passenger seat where the OEM luggage sits. 

My only grip is that getting the hard rubber inserts in fully inserted into the bracket is a real pain in the ass and I had to use almost all of my body weight to pull them onto the brackets on either side. Page 3 of the instructions show the pieces I am referring to. I had to fit the inserts as well as I could off the bike and then hung the side rack from the bike like in page 4 and pulled down to align and fully seat the rubber inserts, problem is if you do not seat them fully none of the mounting holes will line up, particularly the ones on the passenger footrest bracket. https://media.givi.it/XN-Prodotti/istruzioni/PL2139CAM.pdf 

I used the PL2139CAM mounting brackets as they let me take the cases on and off in seconds. 

Pre-pack complete. 

All of our kit fits in the side cases with the sleeping bags strapped to the top of the side cases. 

I've also weighed both cases before and after and fully loaded they come out well under the max weight limit by Givi. 
Each case weighs 13.5 lbs and have a max payload of 22 lbs each. 

Left side payload 18 lbs 
Right side payload 19 lbs 

Fortunately this leaves the top case to only need to carry quick access materials. 

Loaded in the top case (not pictured):

Tire repair kit

12V tire pump

Tire Pressure Gauge 

First Aid Kit

2L of Water (for cooking at campsites)

2 refillable water bottles 
Sunglasses

Leatherman multi-tool 

A roll of TP

and Snacks 

Which still leaves a ton of room left over in the top case for anything else we deem necessary (Beer, lots of beer before we get into camp)

IMG_0835.thumb.jpg.d31b7299e210083c58d3ca3714a1523e.jpg

2 minutes ago, kmev said:

Nice! A lot of your tire repair / tools will fit under the seat. Cut out that little plastic divider and you can fit more stuff in there. 

The MCCruise takes up a lot of the space under there unfortunately. 

• Thumbsup 1