First ride on new Penske / AK-20

• Supporting Member

@johnmark101 - Glad you finally got it done and thanks for the excellent review.  Traxxion built my Penske and I LOVE it, I am seriously considering the AK-20's but we'll have to see how the rest of the year plays out, lots of unknowns still.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, SKYFLIX said:

How is your remote reservoir mounted? I couldn't do anything at all with the z bracket provided by Penske, and ended up using the stock preload bracket and a piece of aluminum.

IMG_20200803_102146.jpg

Mine is mounted similar to yours only the bracket supplied with the shock was useable.  Used zip ties around the screw clamps as the ends were sticking out.

IMG_2944.JPG

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member
On 8/7/2020 at 5:28 PM, johnmark101 said:

The wife wanted to go along but does not like riding the motorcycle so I loaded the GT into the back of my truck and made the roughly five and a half hour drive down to Traxxion Dynamics.  They installed a Penske rear shock and AK-20 cartridges the next day while the wife and I checked out the local area together.  I lost the remote rear preload adjuster in the deal but gained compression damping and height adjustment with the new shock.  Good trade off if you ask me.

This is perfect timing.  I'm ready for suspension and have done a drive-in with  Traxxion before (living in metro Atlanta can sometimes be a good thing).  I want to do everything at once, but I'll probably just have the shock done first before going all in with the front.

Which Penske did you go with?

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, 3sum said:

This is perfect timing.  I'm ready for suspension and have done a drive-in with  Traxxion before (living in metro Atlanta can sometimes be a good thing).  I want to do everything at once, but I'll probably just have the shock done first before going all in with the front.

Their double clicker is the 8983 model.  VERY nice shock, spring preload, rebound and compression damping and ride height adjustment.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Indeed. I went with the 8983 as well. Other than mounting the remote reservoir, the installation was a breeze. Removing the gas tank wasn't nearly as involved as I initially thought it was going to be. Mine was setup spot on by Traxxion. Haven't adjusted it at all. I did the AK20 cartridge installs a few weeks prior, and if I'm honest I didn't find that as much of an upgrade over the stock GT KYB gear. But the rear? Absolutely a great investment.

• Thumbsup 2

13 hours ago, 3sum said:

As the others mentioned, the 8983.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

11 hours ago, SKYFLIX said:

Indeed. I went with the 8983 as well. Other than mounting the remote reservoir, the installation was a breeze. Removing the gas tank wasn't nearly as involved as I initially thought it was going to be. Mine was setup spot on by Traxxion. Haven't adjusted it at all. I did the AK20 cartridge installs a few weeks prior, and if I'm honest I didn't find that as much of an upgrade over the stock GT KYB gear. But the rear? Absolutely a great investment.

I agree with your assessment that the shock upgrade was the biggest difference.  I hated the harshness I felt in the stock forks.      

• Supporting Member
On 8/7/2020 at 4:28 PM, johnmark101 said:

Arrived at one of my favorite curvy roads, let the tires warm up a bit and slowly ramped up the pace.  Here is where the new suspension really shined.  Bike feels so planted in the corners now and I can carry more corner entry speed with way more confidence... So much easier to put the bike right where I want in the corners, and with less effort.     

Exactly my experience with suspension upgrades on the FJ...  for me, it really transformed the entire character of the bike.   It’s much more competent as a sport bike than I ever anticipated, and I’ve found I ride it with more intent and focus... it’s just so eager & buttoned-down now.  

Glad you’re happy with the investment.  Get the final set up dialed in, and enjoy!