Center stand is scraping the road much too soon in curves

5 hours ago, harraseeket said:

when hitting a dip in road mid corner often surprised to hear centerstand scrape. i am 175 lbs on stock settings and don't consider myself an elbow scraper

I'm also getting this on my 2019 GT when I hit a sharp edge, like a badly repaired roadwork asphalt cutout.  I'm pretty sure my center-stand swings down causing it to hit the road.  I looked at the spring, which is a double spring-in-spring & it seems pretty strong.

I have lowering links on mine which reduces the ground clearance.   Do you have the same?

14 minutes ago, Satsteve said:

I'm also getting this on my 2019 GT when I hit a sharp edge, like a badly repaired roadwork asphalt cutout.  I'm pretty sure my center-stand swings down causing it to hit the road.  I looked at the spring, which is a double spring-in-spring & it seems pretty strong.

I have lowering links on mine which reduces the ground clearance.   Do you have the same?

Lowering kit and a soft shock will be the cause, I very much doubt the stand is swinging down. Any ways, take the stand off. It’s handy,  but not at the price of catching on the ground, it can knock your wheel up for a second which is enough to lose traction. Replace with a paddock stand for easier maintenance. 

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Thumbsup 1

1 minute ago, Tripletrouble said:

Lowering kit and a soft shock will be the cause, I very much doubt the stand is swinging down. Any ways, take the stand off. It’s handy,  but not at the price of catching on the ground, it can knock your wheel up for a second which is enough to lose traction. Replace with a paddock stand for easIre maintenance. 

Well my bike is perma-outside... I'd do it if I had a garage.

I'm pretty sure I can actually hear it swing down, my passenger says the same.  Sounds like "toinnng"!  I'm not usually moving that fast when it happens.  I'm thinking of giving it a test with the center-stand secured up with a zip-strip.

2 minutes ago, Satsteve said:

Well my bike is perma-outside... I'd do it if I had a garage.

I'm pretty sure I can actually hear it swing down, my passenger says the same.  Sounds like "toinnng"!  I'm not usually moving that fast when it happens.  I'm thinking of giving it a test with the center-stand secured up with a zip-strip.

That’s a great idea. I leave mine on side stand all the time outside, it forms a triangle with wheels, super sturdy. I left my old bike on centre stand, came back to find one side had sunk into tarmac and bike on its side. I use a large higher bolt on foot on the bottom of side stand. Mines genuine Yamaha, but the cheap ones are just as good. 

EDA6A508-C853-41C1-A69C-D6FED71A1D57.jpeg

9 hours ago, andz said:

Don't worry, the speed signs aren't yellow where I live so I didn't click.

They're white here too, the reference to yellow signs is that they're not the speed limit signs but rather cautionary recommendations of what speed a laden vehicle should take the corner at.  

• Thumbsup 2

those sidestand big feet the number one best deal in aftermarket buys.

i doubt very much  sidestand springing.

the suspension on most bikes is set up based on the average 150 lb japanese rider ( unless that is apocryphal ). so at 175 lbs that should mean i am set up on the soft side. not a bad thing on some of our rough maine back roads. i don't know what's wrong with me but i am totally happy with the suspension's stock settings. part of the problem is just how competent this bike is. it makes every corner undramatic. halfway through the corner you think you might have gone in a little too hot, the bike is saying more please. a friend of mine who has a v strom described it as - midway through a corner the bike seems to be asking when are you going to do something -  slacker. i was surprised to find my chicken strips on the stock tires ( which had a less rounded profile than the pilot road 5s i have now ) was less than 1/8" because i had never felt cornering on the ragged edge.

if anything the bike is just too good  for touring. it wants you to be doing 30 mph over the limit ( which constitutes criminal speeding ) whereas the the v strom is happy to lazily carve the corners

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 7:19 PM, Satsteve said:

Lowering links and a soft stock spring will exaggerate any problems. Cable tie the stand up to eliminate spring and see if you still have the problem. Good luck and post back any developments ? 

• Thumbsup 1

On 8/24/2020 at 5:27 PM, riding_tall said:

Stand-sm.jpg

My headers were the same tan rust colour. After a lot of messing about polishing they were lovely. For about 3 weeks......

• Thumbsup 2

On 9/7/2020 at 3:18 PM, Tripletrouble said:

My headers were the same tan rust colour. After a lot of messing about polishing they were lovely. For about 3 weeks......

Yeah, I've polished mine once, but you'd never guess now.  I just gave up.  One day, I may get them powder coated, but in the mean time, they're just staying forever tan.

• Thumbsup 1

On 8/21/2020 at 2:48 PM, Tripletrouble said:

That’s a great idea. I leave mine on side stand all the time outside, it forms a triangle with wheels, super sturdy. I left my old bike on centre stand, came back to find one side had sunk into tarmac and bike on its side. I use a large higher bolt on foot on the bottom of side stand. Mines genuine Yamaha, but the cheap ones are just as good. 

EDA6A508-C853-41C1-A69C-D6FED71A1D57.jpeg

TrippleTrouble I am new here.  Is this a Yamaha part?  I need one.  I often MC camp and park in grass.  Got my bike yesterday.  Where did you get the "orthopedic shoe" ?  Thanks

10 hours ago, CottonTop said:

TrippleTrouble I am new here.  Is this a Yamaha part?  I need one.  I often MC camp and park in grass.  Got my bike yesterday.  Where did you get the "orthopedic shoe" ?  Thanks

Perfect fit, delivered to UK within 2 weeks.  Don't forget thread lock on screws when fitting.

• Thumbsup 2