Hand guards cattywampus

When I was riding my FJ09 home from the dealership, I noticed that the hand guards were not aligned well. The throttle side one was significantly lower than the left side one. I figured it would be no big deal to even them out when I got home. Boy, was I wrong. There is no significant adjustment that can be made. The position is pretty much fixed, unless you want to bend up the brackets that hold them in place. And even then it looks like there would be limits to what can be accomplished.

I am just wondering if anyone else notices the same misalignment as mine? I am wondering if mine got bent out of shape in transit or something like that? I haven't seen another one to be able to judge. The dealership only had the one that I bought.

When I was riding my FJ09 home from the dealership, I noticed that the hand guards were not aligned well. The throttle side one was significantly lower than the left side one. I figured it would be no big deal to even them out when I got home. Boy, was I wrong. There is no significant adjustment that can be made. The position is pretty much fixed, unless you want to bend up the brackets that hold them in place. And even then it looks like there would be limits to what can be accomplished. 
I am just wondering if anyone else notices the same misalignment as mine? I am wondering if mine got bent out of shape in transit or something like that? I haven't seen another one to be able to judge. The dealership only had the one that I bought.

How about some pics?? I'd like to feature your bike on the front page, if you are willing! You are the first!!! Congrats!!

Can't help with the alignment of the handguards but I don't believe anything you say because I haven't seen any pictures of your bike let alone get a decent review of how it rode.
After re-reading my post I hope I didn't offend.  I made it in jest.  Enjoy your new ride.  I'm sure it's just a matter of figureing out the screws to turn to adjust them.  If not,  take it back to the dealer and say "Hey!  you got my money now fix this bugger!!!"

Jeez, you guys are a tough crowd. Here is a picture of the droopy hand guard. Notice how the throttle side one is lower than the other side. No clear way to adjust this. I could rotate the whole throttle body and mirror assembly, but that would rotate the mirror stalk waaaay back from upright. It's already rotated back more than the one on the other side as it is.

Droopy_handguard_zps1ecf62eb.jpg

So I did come up with a temporary fix. I just pulled the lower steel bracket that holds the hand guard in place off of it's bolt and used a washer with a tooth to trap the bracket in what is now a new, extended position. I will have the dealer correct this when it goes in for service. Although I don't know what they will do that I can't. Hammer technology?

Temp_fix_zpsc187a43a.jpg

Yes I noticed the same thing. On my FZ-09, I messed around trying to get the clutch and the brake levers to be the same, but the mirrors always got catty wampus. Since the FJ uses the same levers as the FZ, I knew that it would be impossible to get them the same, unless you do something like what you did. I would have made a spacer with two holes and added a nut & bolt to fasten to the bracket then the bolt to the lever assembly. I might do that and not mess with the dealer because they aren't going to be able to fix it any better than you.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Quoting redfjniner, "I would have made a spacer with two holes and added a nut & bolt to fasten to the bracket then the bolt to the lever assembly."

redfjniner, that's a good idea. Should be simple to fabricate. Thanks.

I was also thinking of a 3D metal printer to make a whole new mirror holder. But that's a little more elaborate.  :)

After posting, I reviewed all the pictures related to the recent motojournalist writtings. I noticed that the hand guards were higher than on my bike, so I re-adjusted them. Now they are equal on both sides and point about 1" higher than the point coming off the front fairing. I think they will provide better wind deflection as now adjusted. On the FJ the mirror mounts, same as the FZ's, don't appear so obvious on the FJ so I don't mind the difference and everyting looks better. I can't get the picture to post but can provide a link:

hmSm2PP-MW9FmZpQ1n0j-xtNgy6KSBzPS_hqhiIbTWklX3uA-c5bwqtFhd_pVnS-__ROn4VOIyR6_oWOkysfFpTED-_sny0DgQoigh4KYezh3hLTB1BqIK6NCXw4Z6dC
FJ-09 HandguardPos2.jpg

redfjniner, from the looks of the picture, it seems you had to rotate the right brake lever/mirror bracket back quite a bit in order to get the hand guards to line up. Am I seeing that correctly? Does it make the mirrors seem strangely unequal in terms of rear view or are you OK with it? 

With the guards lined up the levers feel even to me.  That is much more important to me than the mirror stems being at the same angle.  Besides I was able to adjust so that the mirrors themselves are at the same position above my grips.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

What Gabe said. The mirrors are a little off, but with all the stuff: windscreen, dash, hand guards etc. it is not that noticeable.

• 2 weeks later...
Same problem on mine. It's minor, but noticeable if you look. Where they attach on the bar ends, you can rotate it a bit, and just because they're plastic, they'll kind of move even though the other site is firmly mounted. I kinda fixed it this way, but it's not perfect. I wish you could just freely rotate them to suit your tastes. I'm going to have to buy winter gloves, because the hand guards are just low enough that the airflow perfectly hits the knuckle vents in my gloves. 

Archived