What an engine, what a bike!

So I'm at about 350 miles now and my first impressions of my 2019 900 are just Wow. That engine is so incredibly smooth at low rpm's and I can easily cruise around the neighborhood in 1st gear and the engine doesn't bog down. It's smooth at 10mph, without herky jerky or lurchy murchy. Then when you get going the engine spins up so fast it just takes off, again smoothly. I know it doesn't have the HP of my past Connie or FJR, but I don't notice of miss them because the 900 is so satisfying in the way it gets you going. And when I'm on the freeway cruising along at 75mph I can give it the gas and pass anyone quickly and when I look down I'm instantly at 100. 

I now see what so many others have said, that this bike is just so much fun, so satisfying, that I don't miss my other, bigger,  heavier, "faster" bikes. I can't get over how smooth and yet throaty that engine is. I'm busy doing all kinds of farkles and adjustments for my size, and all of it just makes the engine and frame that much better for my needs. I've gone on several long rides, and now with bar risers I find the stock seat the most comfortable I've ever had. I've ridden for two hours straight and my ass doesn't hurt. Could never say that about the Connie or FJR. 

• Thumbsup 7

Salish900,

I wholeheartedly agree. I`d been out of the "bike scene" for quite a few years and very recently bought a new GT and am amazed on many levels. From the power of the engine to the electronics and even handling, this bike seems to have it all.

With only 100 miles or so on it, I`m learning new things every day and am looking forward to more.

Be safe

13 minutes ago, DaStray said:

Salish900,

I wholeheartedly agree. I`d been out of the "bike scene" for quite a few years and very recently bought a new GT and am amazed on many levels. From the power of the engine to the electronics and even handling, this bike seems to have it all.

With only 100 miles or so on it, I`m learning new things every day and am looking forward to more.

Be safe

Glad to hear. Having a bike that works is such a joy. I'll admit to being bit of a sucker for a well designed machine, but take a step back and consider the metallurgy, the generations of scientists, the designers, and the manufacturing systems that go into us being able to buy a bike for that cheap, and have it work so well, and by all accounts, work so damn well for so long. It's a real testament to science and engineering and human creativity. Our ancestors were driving horse drawn carriages just a couple generations ago. 

For a bike to be smooth at low revs, roaring at high revs, fuel efficient, durable and comfortable. Well, let's none of that take that for granted as we are about the first generation on Earth to have this opportunity. 

• Thumbsup 2

Congrats on your new ride..... 

With limited model of bikes to choose in our countries,  among the japs/european bike, these seem to be the cheapest and the best part is, it comes with all the bell and whistle (heated grip, cruise control, above 100hp) as next in line cheapest is F850 which need to fork out another USD2700 and not to mention service/parts cost higher and one think i cant grasp is made in china engine and paid more over a jap engine. 

Goedemorgen Michiel900Gt, as my avatar stated, am from Malaysia, the highest spec bike for Yamaha here are MT-09 and Tracer GT. not much options to go where for Harley, Triumph, BMW, Ducati, they carry the full range. 

The FJR and Connie 14 "per the dyno" don't have much more than the Tracer does, and yeah I owned a 2008 Connie 14 for 4 years. :) Had my 2008 C14 dyoned and pulled 123hp, but that's also on a massive PIG of a bike which also feels that way.  

4 hours ago, Ride365 said:

The FJR and Connie 14 "per the dyno" don't have much more than the Tracer does, and yeah I owned a 2008 Connie 14 for 4 years. :) Had my 2008 C14 dyoned and pulled 123hp, but that's also on a massive PIG of a bike which also feels that way.  

Hey there. Yeah, my 2008 C14 was awfully fun and when I hit the throttle doing 70 would quickly hit illegal speeds to pass trucks on lonely British Columbia two lanes. But it was a pig at low speed, and damn heavy. The power to weight ratio can't be far off. The Connie is smoother at high revs with that big 4, but not more fun. And once above about 6K rpm on the Tracer, it's like a jet engine. 

Crazy thing is that I've got a 34" inseam and with my seat in the high position, I can barely flat foot. That's a tall bike! I've added bar risers but I don't think I need peg lowering. On two hour rides, I'm not even butt sore, which I've never had on any bike I've ever owned. 

That "little" triple is just a brilliant design. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 10/19/2020 at 4:25 PM, Salish900 said:

So I'm at about 350 miles now and my first impressions of my 2019 900 are just Wow.  

The thrill of the FJ/Tracer doesn't wear out. I have 38K miles on my 2015 and I still get a grin every time I twist the throttle!

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

12 hours ago, WKE002 said:

Goedemorgen Michiel900Gt, as my avatar stated, am from Malaysia, the highest spec bike for Yamaha here are MT-09 and Tracer GT. not much options to go where for Harley, Triumph, BMW, Ducati, they carry the full range. 

Goedenavond WKE002, sorry, I didn't take a look at your profile. But now I understand.

Nice touch, writing some Dutch 🙂