Shwmai butt

Alisia

Shwmai,

Hello all, thanks for letting me in!

New owner of a 2017 Tracer (with barely any miles on the clock!) after my beloved Fazer 8 was rear ended and written off mun.

I've had it lowered as I'm 5"2 and thinking about getting shortie levers, so any recommendations would be appreciated. 

So, the other thing is top box or panniers....? I had a top box on the Fazer but being fairly short, I wasn't visible because of it, from the back at least, so all my hi viz was pointless as far as the guy who hit me from behind was concerned anyway. So any thought on that would be appreciated also.

Couple of pics of my black beauty....Roll on the end of lockdown ....!!!

Cheers 🙂 

Tracer 1.jpg

tracer 2.jpg

Tracer 3.jpg

Tracer 4.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member

Man that looks great in black...Batman-esque :)

Personally, I'm a fan of the FJR touring bags for panniers...they use the same mount and bracket as the Tracer / FJ-09 'city bags'.

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, Alisia said:

So, the other thing is top box or panniers....? I had a top box on the Fazer but being fairly short, I wasn't visible because of it, from the back at least, so all my hi viz was pointless as far as the guy who hit me from behind was concerned anyway. So any thought on that would be appreciated also.

Personally, I am not a fan of top boxes, on any bike.  I agree with @knyte - look for FJR side bags, they use the same mount points but are considerably larger than the FJ/ Tracer city bags. 

Another popular option is Shad SH36 bags, they are very spacious but they are bulbous and make the rear end look w-i-d-e... NOT recommended for lane splitting.

Shad 3P System Side Case Racks Yamaha FJ-09 2015-2017

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Welcome to the forum @Alisia

What will you use the storage for ? If it’s just day trips then a tank bag might be better, or a tail bag. They tend to be cheaper and you only put them on when you need them. For lockable storage then side panniers are great, but you have to get up to around the Shad SH36 size to get a helmet in. Topboxes are a bit marmite, but do allow you to lane split. 

As for shorty levers; a short brake lever is a great update, especially adjustable span versions. There are tonnes of cheap versions on ebay, and if you’re unsure, try one of these first. But expect to pay around £100 for named versions such as ASV. I found that shorty clutch levers require too much strength and ruin my ability to find the bite point. I’d stick with adjustable, full length versions on that side.

ASV Levers from the UK's leading online bike store. Free UK delivery over...

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

@Alisia welcome to the forum, the bike looks great have a great time on her.

As other have said get the FJR panniers for preference and if you aren't keen on a top box perhaps consider some soft luggage on the rear carrier (if security isnlt an issue). I use Lomo dry bags or the excellent (but pricy) Kriega bags which are sooo versatile.

Stay Safe

Steve

• Thumbsup 4

Same as @bowlin01 , Lomo dry bag gear is brilliant, and inexpensive. I'm using their throwover panniers. I have a full set of givi luggage from my last bike, but I think I'm done with hard luggage now.

Bike looks lovely, shame you couldn't get the faster grey one like mine of course ;)

3 hours ago, knyte said:

Man that looks great in black...Batman-esque :)

I know right! 😄

I've not figured out how to reply individually doh! But thank you all so much for your input, I'll certainly look into the FJR bags. I'm hoping (COVID allowing) to get tour at least UK, but I suppose it'll be mostly day/weekend trips. Somewhere to put my lid would be good. Those SHAD panniers are HUGE!, I doubt I'd get my leg over 🤣😳

• Thumbsup 2

Welcome to the Forum. Don't you listen to Stew, ours look lovely in all black. Mine came fitted from the previous owner with the SHAD panniers I felt the yamaha ones were too small for my touring requirements What I liked about the shad attachment rails is that they look ok when the panniers aren't fitted.

FILE0615.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HGP61 said:

Welcome to the Forum. Don't you listen to Stew, ours look lovely in all black. Mine came fitted from the previous owner with the SHAD panniers I felt the yamaha ones were too small for my touring requirements What I liked about the shad attachment rails is that they look ok when the panniers aren't fitted.

FILE0615.JPG

Your bike is just the clean version of mine. How do you keep it so clean? Mine is manky.

7 hours ago, Stew said:

Your bike is just the clean version of mine. How do you keep it so clean?

Mentioned it in a previous topic, I'm now a convert to ACF50 I give the bike a deep clean then a good spray and rub down with the stuff three times a year. The road dirt just runs off with a bit of water. Mind you, I haven't been down the roads that you have used in some of the lovely pictures you have posted.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HGP61 said:

Mentioned it in a previous topic, I'm now a convert to ACF50 I give the bike a deep clean then a good spray and rub down with the stuff three times a year. The road dirt just runs off with a bit of water. Mind you, I haven't been down the roads that you have used in some of the lovely pictures you have posted.

I lathered mine in ACF50, but I have been in some proper grubby places lately. I need to get a hose. I even bought some cleaning stuff, monkey glue or something.
This is bad. My vstrom was washed twice in 11 years. I've already washed the Tracer once! Next thing I'll be buying a goldwing and filling the panniers with pledge and yellow dusters :)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stew said:

Next thing I'll be buying a goldwing and filling the panniers with pledge and yellow dusters :)

Sorry Alisia I think we have hi-jacked your post

If it's a goldwing "bagger" thats about all you can fit in the panniers. Met a couple in Moffat a few weeks ago with a brand new model and coudn't fit their helmrts in the panniers. Had to leave them sitting on the bike when they went for coffee.

Alisia if your thinking about the yamaha panniers (the standard 22ltr ones) you won't fit a helmet in them) Feel better adding that last wee bit.

Alisia, the concensus seems to be that FJR panniers are better and cheaper than Tracer ones.

Sorry for the hijack, you know what we are all like when we get talking about bikes.

• Thumbsup 1

11 minutes ago, Stew said:

concensus seems to be that FJR panniers are better and cheaper than Tracer ones

Might be, but are they narrower when fitted than the SHAD ones. The only other advantage for the FJR panniers is the top mount is already there on the Tracer 

FJR panniers.jpg