Riding with the Shorty Exhuast

Hey Guys, I'm coming from an 09 Suzuki 1250 Bandit and the Tracer 900 GT could be my next bike.

I have a question about riding this bike. It looks like the back of your right foot is going to be right in front of the stock exhaust. I ride around a small town in my normal shoes often, they aren't always black. Does this position cause any shoe discoloration or excess exhaust smell on your pants? Sorry if this is a silly question but I've only ever ridden around with the standard sport bike pipes that jet out the back.

I can get where your coming from, All my previous bikes had big silencers at the rear wheel. I have never had any issues with the Tracer exhaust. Feet are still a good bit in front and no issues with heat buildup or fumes.

• Thumbsup 2

My second bike with a shorty.  Always wear riding boots.  I've not noticed any heat issues.  Rode 500 miles thru Kansas with temperatures up to 96F and my feet didn't suffer - well everywhere was hot but exhaust was not a problem at all.  Ive been pleasantly surprised at how the Tracer GT does not have any heat issues.  My previous bike (BMW F800GT) would blow hot air on my inner thighs when the temperature was above 90F.  Worst part of the 500 mile day was the stock windscreen - too much buffeting.    My previous bike with a shorty exhaust was a 2013 ZX6R 636 with a Two Brothers exhaust - best description was LOUD.  Wife told me she could hear me on the interstate even though I was nearly a mile ahead!  Bought a dB killer and made it tolerable but traded the bike for other reasons 6 weeks after I bought it - traded for a 2014 ZX6R 636 ABS.  Two Brothers sounded wonderful accelerating at full throttle all the way to redline - just like a race bike.  However every LEO within a mile or two knew what I was doing.  Longer rides were painful.  In contrast the stock Yamaha Tracer GT exhaust is quiet enough I can ride in my neighborhood without upsetting the neighbors but it still has a nice burble at low throttle and a good sound when accelerating aggressively.  

• Supporting Member
On 11/10/2020 at 9:12 PM, JasonTheLucky said:

Hey Guys, I'm coming from an 09 Suzuki 1250 Bandit and the Tracer 900 GT could be my next bike.

I have a question about riding this bike. It looks like the back of your right foot is going to be right in front of the stock exhaust. I ride around a small town in my normal shoes often, they aren't always black. Does this position cause any shoe discoloration or excess exhaust smell on your pants? Sorry if this is a silly question but I've only ever ridden around with the standard sport bike pipes that jet out the back.

You'll be fine, Dude.  Had an '08 1250 Bandit a couple of bikes ago.  No issues with hot boots, hot smells, etc. 

If you do take the 900GT plunge, you might find you'll be grinning yourself silly in very short order.  My Bandit was a massive torque and wheelie monster and would pull down redwood trees for fun.  I still miss that beast something fierce, but I also get major happy-times from my 900GT.  

Get one...you know you want to . . . 

• Thumbsup 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking at high heat clear coating/paint for exhaust to DIY. i cant seem to find in the forum if anyone attempted either on ori or other brand exhaust. my goal is hoping after removal and a good clean up to coat/paint with clear coat. OR high heat black paint. 

My answer seek if using clear coat high temperature, after some usage, will the pipes turn yellow(whatever natural colour after some usage). 

4,000km on the road, do i need to change the seal or can use back if i remove the 3 manifold attached to engine.