91 octane VS 87 octane

I've run 87 in my 2019 since the day I got it and have had no "noticeable" issues in those 6000 miles. I am however very light on the throttle as I have become fascinated with the fuel economy of the Tracer (compared to my FZ1 which I am lucky to get 40MPG on a good day this is awesome!). I'm currently getting 56 to 58 MPG depending on the roads and conditions (this does not include interstate travel as all my discipline disappears when mixing it up with high-speed autos and trucks). Riding like this presumably keeps the engine temp and revs down thus reducing the potential for detonation issues. So far so good. Still, I occasionally add a little octane booster and cleanser to the gas if I think about it. Also, I would use premium if I were planning to explore the performance potential of the CP3 engine.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I'd be careful with that.

The octane rating is a measurement of a fuel's resistance to burning.  By using lower octane, you're increasing the chances of detonation (knock / ping) regardless of running temp.  The high compression ratio of our bikes calls for higher octane, which resists detonation (higher octane = harder to burn).  High / low octane has little to zero impact on power output.

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

On 12/19/2020 at 8:06 AM, betoney said:

I live in a mountainous region with greatly varying barometric pressure in each half of the state, I can go from sea level to over 5,500' and have crossed mountain passes with temperatures varying from low 90's on one side to low 40's at the summit and back to low 90's on the other side, all within 90 minutes. 

I would not know which jacket to use in those conditions 😄

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
On 12/16/2020 at 12:44 PM, Ride On said:

These engines don't burn down or suffer any ill effects from using 87 octane.  If they did you'd see threads and pictures of destroyed engines and burnt pistons.  Where are the dead engines?  There are none. 

If your engine doesn't knock, then you don't need higher octane, regardless of what the owners manual says.  It's that simple. 

And high octane gasoline doesn't help your engine last any longer.  Not one mile longer.  If there's no knocking then you're getting a normal combustion event.

I've got 13,000 miles on my FJ-09, mostly using 87 octane.  I use non-ethonol premium gasoline late season to run the ethanol out of the tank so it's ready for winter storage. 

The added benefit of using 87 octane is that it saves me about $0.80 per gallon.  I can use that savings to buy premium beer instead. 

Priorities!  Love it.  I still  buy the  cheap beer.

FWIW my car is supposed to get 91 and that's what I use.  If I run 87 it is noisier, with less power.  In the cylinder, the speed at which the flame expands (or the speed at which the flame front moves) is directly related to octane as higher octane creates a slower moving flame front.  So with 87, you are creating combustion earlier in the rotation of the crankshaft, thereby increasing pressure seen at the top of the piston,  and keep in mind the flame front has already started while the piston is still moving upwards on the compression stroke.  So while you may not hear a knock, you are closer to one than if running 91.

• Thumbsup 2

To answer OP's question, I would try my best to run 91. It's pretty common across Canada to see it with the exception of the really out-of-the way spots. Even then, they're pretty likely to have Octane Booster. As you traverse our great land, familiarize yourself with this, Canadian Tire, the symbol of our common Auto parts store across the country.

They sell Octane Booster, store brand (Motomaster) for $6.49 + tax Canadian. Since you'll be doing a reasonable stint through Canuckland, I'd just pick some up on the way. Bonus: many CTs have a gas station too. OTOH, they'll have Premium (91 Octane).

Ride safe! Sounds like a great trip.

Canadian Tire Logo.png