Other bikes considered before buying Niken

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Just curious as to what other owners were seriously considering before their Niken purchase. For me, my list was narrowed down to the following four before the Niken GT became available:

1. Ducati Multistrada 950s
  2. BMW K1600GTL
  3. Honda Goldwing DCT
  4. BMW F900XR

Only ones I was considering new were the Ducati 950s or the BMW F900XR. K16 and Goldwing would have to be used - couldn't justify dropping ~$30k+ USD for a new motorcycle. I was looking for something sporty but capable of long distance touring with two up. Cruise control was a must for me. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

I see the Niken seat height is about an inch lower than the FJ-09. I searched Yamaha parts and found no lowering links for it. How does the Niken compare to the FJ-09 and are there any lowering options for us short legged guys? Is the extra weight that noticeable lugging it around the garage?

Traded my Triumph Tiger 1200XRx after only a few months of ownership. It was my first ADV bike and I discovered I'm not an ADV type of guy. Before that was a long line of GT sport bikes and sport tourers. The riding position on the BMW R1200RS I owned before the Tiger was getting too cramped for me so I was looking at the BMW S1000XR and F900XR. Also the Yamaha MT-10 and FJR1300. The S1000XR is very tall and that was one of the things I didn't care for with the Tiger. It would also be tough to get into one for less than $20,000. The F900XR seemed like a pretty good choice but after having the boxer on the RS I didn't really want another twin. I like engines that rev a little.

The MT-10 is probably a great bike. I understand looks are a personal thing but man, it's not pretty. The range was an issue too. I only get around 180 miles to a tank on the Niken but stopping for gas every 100 miles would be a hassle.

I had an 07 FJR for a while. At the time it was too much of a touring bike for me. Lots to like, shaft drive, comfy, good range, heated grips, cruise etc. Nice looking machine too. Still probably more of a touring bike than I need. I take maybe one trip a year and other than that spend time doing big day rides or just local rides on county roads. The FJR seems out of place in that environment though it for sure could do it all. I may have another one someday.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
On 12/17/2020 at 4:37 PM, Heli ATP said:

I see the Niken seat height is about an inch lower than the FJ-09. I searched Yamaha parts and found no lowering links for it. How does the Niken compare to the FJ-09 and are there any lowering options for us short legged guys? Is the extra weight that noticeable lugging it around the garage?

Never ridden a FJ-09 so cannot make a direct comparison, but compared to my old '04 BMW R1150R, if the seat height is lower on the Niken, it definitely seems higher in that I'm on the balls of my feet generally at stoplights. I've never seen any kind of lowering kit offered for the Nikens (a la BMW) and strongly suspect because Niken sales are not that high being the primary culprit. 

• Thanks 1

2019 Niken GT

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Member
On 1/22/2021 at 4:42 PM, Heli ATP said:

What aftermarket options would you like to see for the Niken that are not available? Do the offerings for the FJ09/Tracer mostly work? 

My wish list of aftermarket options for the Niken that are not currently available to make my bike the ultimate touring machine: 

• side view mirror delete with replacement blinker
  • handlebar switch backlighting (hard to see the buttons at night, I hit the horn by accident a lot)
  • more touring compound tires: currently limited to Bridgestones and Michelin Pilot 5 (rear) Pilot 4 (fronts), Metzlers, and Dunlops
  • hard case panniers from Givi to go with my Givi Monokey Top hard case - would like to use a single key to lock/unlock
  • GPS mounting bracket that fits directly above the instrument display panel
  • Actual cigarette lighter adapters that will actually securely hold onto a power socket cord
  • An old school helmet lock like on most regular Japanese bikes. The Niken has a steel cable that you can then lock your helmet to. Not sure why Yamaha doesn't make one for the Niken.
  • Enclosed radar detector mount for my Valentine One radar detector. The mount should make the V1 protected from the elements but at the same time, not interfere with either the front or rear antennas. 
  • Fender extenders for the front two wheels

So far i've seen other Niken owners use Tracer touring windscreens, Tracer crash bars (which required some modification to fit), some have even used Tracer back seat rests for pillion rider. I'm glad that Yamaha seemed to have leveraged common components from the Tracer parts bin for the Niken to help keep maintenance costs lower.

Which given the best production count estimates, indicates that in a few years time, Niken parts could be very hard to come by due to the low production volumes (<3k Niken units worldwide for model years 2018-2020). I hate to think I'm going to have to go the 3d printing route to be able to secure some parts for the Niken in the not so distant future. 

2019 Niken GT

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

An old school helmet lock like on most regular Japanese bikes. The Niken has a steel cable that you can then lock your helmet to. Not sure why Yamaha doesn't make one for the Niken.

If the back end of the bike is the same as the FJ -

q5kysk056e03.jpg

Product Description: YAMAHA Helmet Hanger Set [Q5KYSK056E03] :...

A couple of us have this.

I think @duhs10 found it originally. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

If the back end of the bike is the same as the FJ -

q5kysk056e03.jpg

Product Description: YAMAHA Helmet Hanger Set [Q5KYSK056E03] :...

A couple of us have this.

That looks awesome! Only thing I looked up was the one from Kurakyn. This yamaha one looks better. 

3F552374-D3C1-4E40-8090-C3A8F1088199.png

2019 Niken GT