Grip Puppies (slip over hand grips)

• Premium Member
After a mention elsewhere on this site, I fitted a set of Grip Puppies which cost £13.49 from Amazon

I like them. They were easy to fit, slipping over the OE grips. They will work with heated grips too. Just lube them with a bit of soapy water and slip over the existing grips. I put on a pair of gloves which made the job much easier as they gripped the soapy grips better. Just twist the grip until it slides into place.

I rinsed them off, let them dry and went for a ride. They achieve what I hoped they would i.e. increase the diameter of the grips which suits me as my joints are a bit worn from using computer mice and keyboards for over 3 decades. You need to recalibrate throttle use at low speed as they change the gearing slightly but after the first couple of T junctions all was well. 

An added bonus is the nice feel of the foam. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
After a mention elsewhere on this site, I fitted a set of Grip Puppies which cost £13.49 from Amazon 
I like them. They were easy to fit, slipping over the OE grips. They will work with heated grips too. Just lube them with a bit of soapy water and slip over the existing grips. I put on a pair of gloves which made the job much easier as they gripped the soapy grips better. Just twist the grip until it slides into place.

I rinsed them off, let them dry and went for a ride. They achieve what I hoped they would i.e. increase the diameter of the grips which suits me as my joints are a bit worn from using computer mice and keyboards for over 3 decades. You need to recalibrate throttle use at low speed as they change the gearing slightly but after the first couple of T junctions all was well. 

An added bonus is the nice feel of the foam. 

I've been using these for some years, and highly recommend them. I was pleased with the almost total lack of vibes through the 'bars on my recent test-ride, but since I have a spare pair of Puppies I'll install them anyway - the slight extra diameter adds comfort to otherwise skinny grips too, as on my BMW, IMHO.

L of S

• 2 months later...
Just put these on my Tracer. Only used the bike for 2 one hour runs since but it seems to have cured the vibrations that I suffered at town riding speeds so seems like a good, cheap addition to my bike.

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
Does the 5 inch ones fit?
the Amazon listing I quote says 9cm but I just measured mine - they are 5 inch or 12.6 cm
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 5 weeks later...
Just got mine on this week, might be the best $11 I've spend on this bike so far. :)
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

I have a pair of these in a drawer that haven't been put on yet. Do you think it's possible to put heated grip elements over the original rubber grips and then the grip puppies on top of that?
Done this for years. 
Works GREAT.

The trick is you want to buy ATV or Snowmobile heated pads, not motorcycle ones.

The ATV ones are both the same. The motorcycle ones have more heat on the clutch side, and less on the throttle. This is because motorcycles have the clutch grip directly on the bar, and the throttle side has the throttle tube insulating the heater from the bar.

As you can imagine, steel or especially aluminum on our bars, radiates heat away from your hands very fast. So to try and keep the heat you feel equal, the motorcycle heater pads are always a compromise.

BUT, when you put the ATV/Snowmobile ones over the grips, the grips insulate the heat loss completely, so you want them to be the same.

Here is what I do:

Clean off the stock grips with windex or whatever you clean your bike with. Most of us wear gloves, so the grips are generally pretty clean, and don't have lots of hand oils.

IF your ATV heater grips have an adheasive back, wait to peel it off till you figure out how you want the pad placed. I put mine so the "gap" is between my palm and fingers in the space NOT used by my hands much, if at all. This puts the heat where your hand can use it. Note where the wires go, and get a small drill bit that's just slightly larger than your wires. I put a section of self sealing marine grade shrink tube on the wires right up to the heater pad, and about 5 inches or so. this helps to hide the wires since it's black, and protects them from wear, as your throttle wires will move/rotate.

Once you figure out where the wires go, drill two small holes in the grip, near the base of the grip and bar, but only so far as to allow you to pass the wires through, not drill into your controls or bar etc. Pass the wires, and position the heater pads where you like, THEN pull the adheasive, and stick them to the stock grips.

It will NOT generally stick very well. No big deal. The glue helps to keep it from rotating when it's held in place by the next step.

If you have a large marine grade, self sealing shrink tube that will just go over your grip and the heater pad, use that. It's the bomb. If NOT. No sweat, use quality electrical tape, and STREATCH it as you wrap the heater pad tight to the stock grip. Overlap slightly for each flight of tape, and I go over it twice, with small overlaps so the grip does not get too thick. The heater pad is not going to slip now ever.

Take your grip puppies, and either heat them up with a heat gun, or put them in a plastic cup in water. Microwave for 1.0 min. This will heat up the water and the puppies, and make them easy to slip onto and over the stock grips, heater pads and tape/shrink tube.  I've used hair spray before, but it's not really needed, the grip puppies don't slip when they dry off. (And they really don't absorb water, but can get wet. The are closed cell foam.)

Dry them off, or let them dry if you used hair spray. I use that time to route the wires, hook up the switches etc.

NOTE: Leave a nice curl of loose wire on the throttle side, I leave it on the underside, where you can't see it, and use zip ties and any stock routing to run the wires. The loose curl of wire is there to allow you full throttle rotation. I've found wrapping the wire about 3 times around a pencil or pen gives you a nice curl effect, and the wire will spring back when you use your throttle that way, or just leaving a loose inch or so is all you need, the throttle does not turn that much really when you measure it.

Then ride and enjoy the larger soft grips, and heat when you want it will be plentiful and often TOO much on high unless you are riding up to the North Pole.

Archived