• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 54 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Airbag equipped gear

maximNikenGT

Yes, have to be careful.  June of 2021 rode north from Salina KS to I80 in Nebraska.  It was 106 the whole way, mesh jacket with the Dianese vest underneath.  I was impressed how well they flowed air.  I could shift position slightly and get airflow in a different spot so was always able to keep cool.  I remember reading somewhere something about above certain ambient temperatures airflow causes the body to heat up.  106 in dry conditions was as hot as I want to ride.  The Dianese vest claims it is like 7 back protectors but I still have a level one in my jacket as backup protection.

Yea some folks seem to be out to get you.  Post pandemic drivers are much more agressive and quicker but dumber. On my trips I avoid major cities whenever possible.  I like riding west of the Mississippi as seems like the drivers are better, secondary roads are better than interstates most of the time.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 8/12/2022 at 12:54 AM, PhotoAl said:

Thanks for posting up.  Although I've been happy with my Dianese airbag vest I'm always looking for something better.  Really wish the "non tethered" vests would get more coverage like the tethered one have.  I wear my vest ALL the time when riding even on my scooter when making a quick short trip to the grocery store.  Vest is easy to throw on.  Gloves, helmet and vest and I go - would not ever wear that little on the bike but somehow in my mind I make it ok for the scooter!

Primary reasons I haven't looked at the non tethered electronic versions is because :

1. Higher upfront costs $749 USD for Dainese D-air or Alpinestars Tech Air 5 
  2. Reliance on battery being charged in order for system to work.
  3. Most electronic systems are one time use only. Once airbag deploys cannot be used again, or the airbag must be sent in to service facility where it must be serviced to the tune of an additional $250 USD e.g. Dainese D-air. 
  4. In some instances a subscription is required to allow the unit to work. 

However some  of the electronic advantages include:

• Protection at a dead stop while on a vibrating motorcycle (Dainese)
  • Not having to worry about tethering of untethering.

15A64280-43A1-4CFD-8B80-188B2136C230.png

1CB9387C-18DB-4BB8-B230-6EE2344B6725.png

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

The Klim airbag vest is user-resettable with replacement cartridges. You can buy it outright, or pay a low cost + monthly subscription. I don't like the idea of having it under my gear, because I don't always have the same gear on. Throwing something over the gear is much easier for me.

The Helite eTurtle is untethered, and has an optional fork-mounted sensor to improve deployment speed in certain scenarios. Unfortunately, the eTurtle isn't in the US yet. I keep hearing the dates pushed back for the US launch. 

Several have purchased eTurtles from European vendors and had them shipped to the US. A far as I know, no planes have crashed as a result :D The only issue there is, there is no warranty support for a non-US vest.

• Thanks 1

@maximNikenGT I was of the same opinion on the non-reusable ones but then realized if it is set off my bike probably has some damage so won't need it right away anyway.  With a tethered I guarantee half the time I would be walking away without untethering LOL.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

@maximNikenGT I was of the same opinion on the non-reusable ones but then realized if it is set off my bike probably has some damage so won't need it right away anyway.  With a tethered I guarantee half the time I would be walking away without untethering LOL.

That's why you need more than one bike

And amazingly I almost never walk away without unfastening the tether and I have a little buckle attached to the handlebar next to the throttle

so before I get off I instinctively see the buckle undo n plug it into the buckle and then get off

also keeps the tether from Hanging down and getting caught up or burned

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife, kids and I have worn Hit-air airbag vests for the past several years. Clipping in becomes second nature and we all feel safer. I've set mine off once while out of state on a trip. I dropped the bike on a steep hill doing a slow turn.  I jumped up, mad about dropping the bike and set off the airbag vest. At that point it was just funny. I didn't  like the ride home without my airbag vest so I had two Co2 cylinders overnighted and reset my airbag vest in minutes before having to leave the following day. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, rjknupp said:

My wife, kids and I have worn Hit-air airbag vests for the past several years. Clipping in becomes second nature and we all feel safer. I've set mine off once while out of state on a trip. I dropped the bike on a steep hill doing a slow turn.  I jumped up, mad about dropping the bike and set off the airbag vest. At that point it was just funny. I didn't  like the ride home without my airbag vest so I had two Co2 cylinders overnighted and reset my airbag vest in minutes before having to leave the following day. 

How old were the kids and what size vest do you use with them? 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 8/19/2022 at 3:04 PM, maximNikenGT said:

And this recent crowd funding request for Airbag pants by Mo'Cycle.  

This just in from Helite - looks like they're going to partner with Mo-Cycle to debut airbag jeans! Reserve yours today!

helite_pants1.jpg

helite_pants2.jpg

helite_pants3.jpg

helite_pants4.jpg

helite_pants5.jpg

Edited by maximNikenGT
added cost of Helite pants

2019 Niken GT

Some thoughts on a couple of airbag vests.  One I have lots of experience with (everything but crashing in it) and the other is one I have bought but had size issues so a work in progress.

After a couple of years my Dianese airbag vest had a wire break going to the indicator unit on the chest.  As far as I can tell still functions properly although there is no indication.  I was able to do a firmware update on it with no issues.  Going to send it back to Dianese and have it repaired but in the meantime do not want to be without an airbag vest.  I have been very happy with the Dianese and have ridden with it in temperatures up to 106F.  I guess it is warmer than without but not much and does a good job of allowing air around it.  No clue how many hours have worn it but something around 20,000 miles.  I also wear it every time I ride my scooter.  It does not need an outer jacket.

So looked at airbag equipment again and still want an untethered one.  Do not want something with a monthly fee so really left a couple of easily obtainable options.  Another Dinese or an AlpinStar Tech-Air-5.  Ordered a Tech-Air-5 from CycleGear (always try and support the local folks).  It came in and looked nice but after trying it on for a while it was just too small.  So sent it back and ordered a larger size.  I like the shoulder coverage it provides and it seems to be a little quicker filling than the Dianese from what I read.  The Dianese is a very easy vest to put on, turn on and wear.  So far from what I can tell of the Tech-Air-5 it is more fiddly and I need to have the app going to make sure it is set properly.  It also needs to be worn under a jacket and is not a stand alone garment like the Dianese.  Final verdict is waiting on the larger size but am a little disappointed with it.  If I cannot get comfortable with it.  I will swap it for a Dianese.  I don't particularly like the fact that the Dianese does not protect my shoulders when riding my scooters.  Not an issue on the motorcycle as I always wear a jacket over the vest.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my airbag vest.  I got a A* Tech-Air-5 vest size M (same as my old Dianese), it was snug but to tight under the arms so took it back and got a large.  It was better but the way it fit on my back was uncomfortable.  I have to be careful with my neck - probably too many cameras dangling around it.  I could never get really comfortable with it.  Coupled with the fact that it has to be worn under a jacket led me to take it back and get another Dianese airbag vest.  The Dianese doesn't have the shoulder coverage but in my jacket I have shoulder protection.  In hot weather I ride my scooter a lot and it is so easy to just slip on the Dianese and zip it up and go (after putting on helmet and gloves).  Something else that didn't help was reading the online comments about the Tech-Air-5 deployments like the friend who slapped someone on the back and set the airbag off.  I chalked most of those up to early software and generally disregarded them but still made me a tiny bit nervous - I have 20,000 plus miles with the Dianese and am very comfortable with it.  I really wanted the Tech-Air-5 and somewhat disappointed it turned out this way.

The Tech-Air-5 seems to rest it's weight on the upper back while the Dianese feels more like a heavy vest with the shoulders supporting the weight.  Zipped up a lot of the weight is transferred to the midsection as it grips the torso.

Just an update and hope this helps someone out there thinking about the different airbag gear.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...