Airbag equipped gear

maximNikenGT

On 1/21/2021 at 9:39 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

Hitting a deer is one thing but if the Niken forum member has needed it multiple times I'm glad he's still riding but he may want to consider something else

Like a bike... aka 2 wheels? 

Sorry but I don't get the Niken AT ALL.

• Supporting Member

Was reviewing history of Hit-Air and their parent company Mugen Denko out of Nagoya, Japan and learned that Mugen Denko shares an Affiliate company relationship with YKK, makers of some of the highest quality waterproof zippers in the industry. Will be interesting to see whether my Hit-Air vest utilizes YKK zippers...

08F295E3-9718-48E9-B97D-4F4308496E8C.jpeg

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Just placed my order today for a Large Hit Air MLV-YC thanks to you all making a very strong case for this safety gear. Thank you. 

https://hitairmoto.com/shop/ols/products/mlv-yc

Rebecca at Hit-air Moto of South Carolina indicated that although their website shows as backordered for the Large (I'm 6 foot, 200 pounds and this is the size that Rebecca recommended for me) it's only a few days delay because the shipment is in Transit currently within the continental US.

At less than $500 USD, this is relatively cheap safety gear that could end up saving you way more in the event of a serious crash. <$500 USD for the Hit-air is easier to swallow vs the $659 USD of the Helite vest. 

Will do  a full review when I receive it. 

I am still on the fence between the Hit Air vest or their all-in-one jacket for a few dollars more. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
47 minutes ago, betoney said:

I am still on the fence between the Hit Air vest or their all-in-one jacket for a few dollars more. 

They do have some pretty nice jackets - but I plan on utilizing my Aerostich suit forever which is what swung me over to the vest. I do primarily long distance touring and of all my gear, the Aerostich suit does the best job keeping me dry.

The other piece being that I preferred what appears to be a larger deployment airbag area for the vests vs. the jackets. The jackets and vests seem to utilize the same internal bladder, but I liked seeing the hip protector piece out and separate in the vest in addition to what seemed like a larger collar deployment bladder vs. the jacket which appears to keep deployment a little more restrained within the confines of the jacket.

Could just be my imagination though, but reach out to Rebecca at Hit-Air at 803-528-9165. She's one of their product sales reps and I found her very knowledgeable and helpful about the product's finest details in addition to other pros and cons that helped me triangulate the vest solution for me. Not gonna lie though, the HS6 jacket really caught my attention, and if I already had separate waterproof riding pants, I may have sprung for that one. 

hit_air_mlv_yc.jpg

hit_air_mx8.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

This video from Hit-Air is from the Japanese Automobile Research Institute (JARI About JARI) which as far as I can tell is equivalent to the US version of the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration) and conducts/establishes crash/safety testing standards. NOTE: The person in the video is wearing Hit-Air branded t-shirt so take this with a grain of salt since it is clearly marketing from the manufacturer, but pay notice to the actual crash dummy tests and their results with crash test dummies using various crash scenarios. 

2019 Niken GT

I am looking forward to the e-Turtle from Helite. It seems to be the best option for my needs. I really don't want to have a layer underneath my riding gear, and all the other electronic options seem to be that way. I don't like the idea of having to send in a vest and be without it for extended periods for service (A* and Dianese), and I don't like the idea of a subscription (In&Motion / Klim). I don't mind the tether, but it does seem the electronic vests have a better chance of deploying in circumstances where the tethered vests may not. None of the systems are perfect, but any of them will be better than no airbag. I want my best chance at walking away from a wreck. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Just got my Hit-Air vest via FedEx. First impressions:

• nicely constructed vest with a lot of safety tags all over the vest at strategic component locations.
  • High viz and reflective materials are nice and bright. Note:photos don't do justice to how high viz yellow this vest is....retina searing bright. 
  • Internal fuzzy straps  to attach a back and / or chest protector (sold separately). 
  • Adjustable straps to get the best fit. 
  • Looks like there are two safety/ maintenance anti-deploy mechanisms that have to be set correctly for normal riding operation. 
  • CO2 cartridges are 60cc sizes -don't think you can use the bicycle CO2 cartridges because those are generally lower capacity.
  • Tethering cord must have one end of the cord in a knot to prevent deployment failure. 

02B3C5B8-5AEB-4946-957E-B6B4D0B2F527.jpeg

6046084C-19B3-47C9-B5C7-1EEE0F575554.jpeg

B74ACEB8-E359-4ED5-9CCB-7EE6B40DB30C.jpeg

0BC1F72A-E3A0-44A1-8242-6A7157167421.jpeg

87D0F898-970C-48FC-8961-34B381DDDB3E.jpeg

2BBABBBE-EDE7-4D57-B707-B226A5DC6B8A.jpeg

91800B35-82AD-4F7C-AEFC-1876039B223E.jpeg

C85FD930-36BA-4389-9428-D117F2B8DFED.jpeg

822C7D5D-F590-4AEF-A131-C701B2DAA7F0.jpeg

7E879CFC-F708-40B9-BE75-3308C65828EC.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• Premium Member

I've now worn my Hit-Air MLV-YC on 4 or so extended rides. It does seem to get dirty relatively easily (like any light colored fabric and I thought about 1st spraying it with Scotchgard ), bugs stick readily and I have yet to risk spot cleaning it.  The rain storm I rode through yesterday unfortunately didn't serve as a wash n dry cycle.

My biggest complaints are the CO2 cylinder "pocket" is obtrusive (is the Helite any better), it makes any HD jacket that much heavier, and it's kind of a PITA to connect and disconnect the rip cord (which I knew it would going in).

All in all I think the positives by far outway the negatives.  We'll see how I feel literally and figuratively in hot weather, as I'm obviously an ATGATT guy, and even my mesh jackets are heavy, being fully CE Level 2 armored; though I'll likely forego wearing my A-Star chest trauma plate.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 4/8/2021 at 6:22 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

I've now worn my Hit-Air MLV-YC on 4 or so extended rides. It does seem to get dirty relatively easily (like any light colored fabric and I thought about 1st spraying it with Scotchgard ), bugs stick readily and I have yet to risk spot cleaning it.  The rain storm I rode through yesterday unfortunately didn't serve as a wash n dry cycle.

My biggest complaints are the CO2 cylinder "pocket" is obtrusive (is the Helite any better), it makes any HD jacket that much heavier, and it's kind of a PITA to connect and disconnect the rip cord (which I knew it would going in).

All in all I think the positives by far outway the negatives.  We'll see how I feel literally and figuratively in hot weather, as I'm obviously an ATGATT guy, and even my mesh jackets are heavy, being fully CE Level 2 armored; though I'll likely forego wearing my A-Star chest trauma plate.

Ooooohhh- great tip on the Scotchgard before first wear! Will definitely do that. 

The Hit-air vest also says that the bladder is not washable, don't know if that means you can remove the bladder and wash the vest in machine wash. 

2019 Niken GT

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Ooooohhh- great tip on the Scotchgard before first wear! Will definitely do that. 

The Hit-air vest also says that the bladder is not washable, don't know if that means you can remove the bladder and wash the vest in machine wash. 

I do not believe the bladder comes out.  If you look on each side there are zippered slots that have a tamper-tell seals; meaning the bladders are not user accessible.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 4/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

I do not believe the bladder comes out.  If you look on each side there are zippered slots that have a tamper-tell seals; meaning the bladders are not user accessible.

Took my second ride out today with my Hit-Air vest. Of course I completely forgot that I was tethered and luckily the air bag did not deploy on dismount thanks to the coiled cord tether.

Really don't  notice it's there except for when I try to reach for something in my front chest pockets. Between this and my gray Aerostich suit and silver helmet, I think I resemble a patrol bike which causes traffic around me to do a double take. 

So far am pleased that it doesn't seem to add much noticeable bulk/weight and will hopefully never have to be deployed. 

4/29/21 Update: Have used this during daytime and evening rides - I definitely look like a patrol officer with my gray Aerostich suit, silver helmet and my fluorescent Hit-Air vest. I was at a stoplight tonight and some guys rolled up in a 4 door full size pickup and the driver, as soon as he saw me, instinctively went to put on his seat belt right in front of me. :) 

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• 9 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Looks like Hit Air just released new versions of its vests as well as some jackets. 

https://www.hit-air.com/en/motorcycle/lineup/jacket_vest/jacket_vest_type01/vest-ys.html

BDDDB077-197C-4BB4-9CD8-95B4BC29FE82.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

2019 Niken GT

• Premium Member

If you do a search, you'll find I bought and reviewed a Hit-Air MLV-YC vest last March. 

https://hitairmoto.com/shop/ols/products/mlv-yc

I chose that vest for the reasons I stated earlier in this thread, and because IMO it allows better air flow through it than any other vest, tethered or automatic.  It also has great coverage, is durable, well designed and crafted, and reasonably priced.

The Hiviz Yellow easily shows dirt but I couldn't bring myself to get their nightglow black, as I predominantly ride in daylight and I've moded my bikes to be very well illuminated at night.  I pretreated my vest with a DWR/Stain Resistor, and have now subsequently cleaned my vest twice and treated it afterward.  There are some grime stains, primarily on the bottom front of the Co2 cartridge enclosure and strangely on interior surfaces where it doesn't really matter, and the material cleans up pretty well with no apparent (as yet) loss of luster.

Comfort wise my only significant complaint (other than having to put it on and take it off any vest would cause), is the annoyance of the Co2 cartridge enclosure pressing into my admittedly over generously sized belly when leaned into my tank bag and/or the fuel tank itself; as well as having to open and swing the right front side of the vest out of the way behind my right arm when walking the dog; although I am right-handed. If the cartridge was on the left I woulld not voice this latter gripe. LOL

Of course clipping and unclipping  the tether is bothersome, more so with gloves on, but this was an anticipated and accepted greivence made less troublesome by attaching the overpriced off-use female buckle to a loop inboard of the throttle so the tethers springy lanyard's male buckle bit is readily accessible rather than dangling down somewhere.

I carry a spare Co2 cartridge and the supplied allen wrench to hopefully be able to restore vest operability after an incident, which thankfully, and knock on plastic, has not occured and may it never occur!

Betoney, would an air vest been beneficial during your unfortunate incident yesterday?

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 1/15/2022 at 8:24 AM, maximNikenGT said:

Looks like Hit Air just released new versions of its vests as well as some jackets. 

https://www.hit-air.com/en/motorcycle/lineup/jacket_vest/jacket_vest_type01/vest-ys.html

BDDDB077-197C-4BB4-9CD8-95B4BC29FE82.png

Even though this new vest appears to use a mesh chassis, I much prefer my MLV-YC because it has the wide separation in front and back the enables good air flow, which is much appreciated in warm/hot weather, especially when wearing a mesh jacket!

The possibly better means of fitment of optional back, hip and chest armor appears negligible over the MLV-YC; and I much prefer having this armor in my jacket and pants, especially my Level 2 chest trama plate.

Also, this new vest does not seem to have the same degree of rib protection.  Hard to believe but there is no good photo or graphic of the bags deployed to compare to mine.

• Thumbsup 1