Textile touring jacket.....what have you got?

johnmark101

On 12/30/2020 at 4:38 PM, johnmark101 said:

So far the Sand 3 and the pants that go with it are at the top of my list.  Like you, I am not too fond of fiddly liners as I have had a couple in some of my older leather jackets.  But considering features and price it seem quite the bang for the buck.  

How do you feel about the level of protection the jacket provides?  I am having a hard time switching away from leathers.  As someone who used to do track days and has been on the asphalt a couple times I am curious about a textile jackets ability to protect in a get off/slide.

Unfortunately I can say that textile gear appears to work very well. I met Bambi about a year ago and hit the deck at about 50-60mph. I received a minor scrape on one forearm and that was about it. The jacket and pants (and gloves and boots) did their job. The jacket was just a run of the mill Tourmaster that gave its life to protect me. To be fair, though, it was 13yrs old, very sun bleached, and due for replacement anyway since I am sure the UV that faded the colors also degraded the material somewhat (apparently I slid a ways with my arm under my body at first and the textile fabric shredded). OTOH, the Fly Racing pants I was wearing are still kicking. They're less than 10yrs old and came away with a minor blemish on one knee but otherwise okay (no visible UV degradation to date either). YMMV

Like several others here, I'm pleased with my Firstgear Kilimanjaro.  I find it to be reasonable from around 35f with layers under it to around 80f and all the vents open.  It runs large, I'm wearing a XL when I'd be XXL in other brands (6'2" 250 lbs)

• Thumbsup 1

I have a Tourmaster Transition jacket. Mine is an older model and has 8 vents for and aft. I see the Transition 5 jacket now boosts 11 vents.

For a cheaper jacket it has lots of pockets, plenty of adjustability to dial in the fit, and has held up really well. Supposedly you can ride in the rain with the vents open and not get wet, however I have never tried it.

I can ride up to around 80F or so comfortably, maybe even a smidge higher, as long as your moving. If you get stuck in traffic on a 80F day,  your going to bake.

Comes with a full liner  and is considered a three season jacket.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am using oxford mondial laminate, i have used wolf, rukka and klim and i have to say IMHO it is the best i have used i have the jacket and the trousers, they keep you dry and warm, i am a commuter and i have been out in -2 with base layers a t-shirt and the oxford kit and arrived at work nice and warm. and for the price of them you cannot complain, full kit for less than £600!! I could not be more impressed.

I apologize if someone has already mentioned these. Links below 😀

Oxford Mondial Jacket

Oxford Mondial Trousers

41 minutes ago, Kyronix said:

I am using oxford mondial laminate

Me too, I managed to get my wife to buy me the jacket for a christmas pressy (reduced to £200) and I picked up a new pair of the trousers on an e-bay auction for £107 so was well pleased with the combination. Been out using them now and have been impressed with both the wet weather and cold weather performance. 60 miles in moderate to heavy rain and I stayed dry and both the jacket and trousers shrugged off the water and didn't feel that they were starting to wet out. Took a 140 mile round trip to a motorbike dealer on Easter Monday that included a 70 mile motorway blast with temperatures  at 3 to 5 deg C and stayed comfortably warm. Only minor gripe is that the cuffs at the bottom of the trousers feel a bit loose and baggy and I might have to modify in some way. Just have to see how the combination copes with a bit of hot summer weather to find out if it lives up to my expectation of it as a good all round outfit.

Mondial Jacket.JPG

On 12/30/2020 at 5:38 PM, johnmark101 said:

So far the Sand 3 and the pants that go with it are at the top of my list.  Like you, I am not too fond of fiddly liners as I have had a couple in some of my older leather jackets.  But considering features and price it seem quite the bang for the buck.  

How do you feel about the level of protection the jacket provides?  I am having a hard time switching away from leathers.  As someone who used to do track days and has been on the asphalt a couple times I am curious about a textile jackets ability to protect in a get off/slide.

I've got a Sand 3, recently purchased.  I've not gone down with it - and I don't plan to - but to be honest it feels WAY sturdier than my leather+textile Joe Rocket jacket did, and I've been in several high-speed accidents so I'm quite aware of what happens when things go sideways.  It's shell is extremely, obviously sturdy, and it's pretty comfortable and extremely well vented.  The armor is larger (for example, the elbow armor extends well down the forearm) and better positioned/secured in position, and the adjusters on the arms/torso ensure you can have it fitted to your own body shape for best protection.  

The only way to really test would be testing to destruction, which I'm obviously not willing to do.  But if you can find one in a store, go check it out.  There's some post-crash video reviews on youtube, (I searched through them before deciding on this jacket) and even after having been in slides it looks basically as good as new.  

I'm really impressed with it.  Biggest downside, really, is that it's heavy.  This is a common factor of seriously armored motorcycle jackets, but yeah.  I've got plastic coathangers, and they can't hold it.  Needed to go to regular metal ones.  Mind you, mines 4XL, so there's that 😃

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a Rear Alta mesh jacket a few days ago.  Re-used my D30 level 2 back protector.  So far like it, it got a bit warm yesterday standing in the sun in 80F with a long sleeve shirt and a T-shirt on but was ok when moving.  The mesh in the main body is good and flows a lot of air but the arms seem to have less mesh - it's a real tradeoff - mesh = less protection but more airflow.  Will have to see how it does when it gets to 95+  Compared to my old Rev-It GT-R Air it has a little less mesh in the arms but the protection seems a bit better in the upper arm shoulder are - less mesh.  IMO a good reasonably priced jacket.  They had a jacket with more leather and armor plate at the shoulder the may give more protection but I didn't like the colors.

Edited by PhotoAl