Where to start with rear suspension upgrade

I ended up searching and found a suspension guy around Denver that is legit and is able to help me out on the bike.  He's adamant we can rebuild/revalve the front on the GT easily to be very good, but I am getting him my gear loadout and position info so he can go to work on shock options/springs.   He and I both like the Ohlins setup, but he has a few other brands he likes working with as well.   Need to get this done before a fun summer season of riding is underway :)

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

He's adamant we can rebuild/revalve the front on the GT easily to be very good

I agree, since the GT already has fully functioning separate compression and rebound legs as well as external adjusters you should be able to get very good results with a re-valve. 👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

So working with my local suspension guy, I sent him my weight with gear + the load out of each panier, and the top box for a normal trip and the weight of a seat bag if I carry one.  the kind of riding I do,  amount of times I'll have it loaded in a various config through a year....  The end result is I just ordered a set of Ohlins NIX30 fork cartridges, springs, and a Ohlins YA537 rear shock (which is now listed on the Ohlins EU website as fitting the 2019-2020 Tracer 900 GT).  He said for my weight/load, revalving the forks would be marginal with the higher spring rates and such, and overall it would be better to go with a new cartridge setup.

The rear shock is back ordered by 20 days or so, but this came out to about what I expected, with labor it will be $2500 in suspension... which isn't that bad at all for the grade/quality of the gear. 

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Good move, I've said it before it's not cheap but thinking of what I paid plus $2,500 I would be at $14,000.  Still $2,000 (or more) less than a similarly equipped BMW F900GT which doesn't have the lovely CP3 engine or Ohlins suspension.  Not picking on the BMW just saying the Tracer GT is a bargain, not perfect but all the good parts are there and the weaker parts can be upgraded without too much trouble.  I'm still super happy with my Tracer GT :-)  Had thought about upgrading suspension but bought a new car so will have to wait so don't get the Mrs. too agitated.  LOL bought a rear sway bar for car so already a bit in trouble.  Why do you need that?  Is it going to make it ride rougher? ....  :-)

Eagerly waiting on your thoughts when you get your bike back.