Front wheel noise

On 2/13/2021 at 1:27 PM, petshark said:

It is fixed!

image.thumb.png.3708b5ca944c1abe8480e1e1e545cc80.png

Some questions remain;

Where did all that grease go? It was not on the outside. Could this be a manufacturing error? There is no dirt in the remaining grease neither so it looks like the seal was good... Really weird.

I'm amazed that these bearings are actually serviceable. I get that you shouldn't do this with bearings that have seen 40.000 miles because the little balls will be worn but it does look like I won't have to buy new ones for now. I will check often to see if there are any signs of leakage and replace them if that is the case.

Glad you sussed it out finally.   I guess we can conclude that maybe Yamaha used some bearings without sufficient grease.  I think I read about some FJR's with insufficient grease on the rear axle, from the factory.  

Takeaway:   If/when the time comes for new wheel bearings, maybe open them up to check grease content before installing?

• Thumbsup 1

Several years ago I had a Yamaha FZ6, they came from the factory with too little grease on the head bearings plus a seal that didn't work well and water would get in there and rust everything.  Happened to mine.  Now if I have something apart it gets a good (but not too much) coating of waterproof grease.

• Thumbsup 1