Am I the only nudist around here?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Garz747 said:

I ve only had my Tracer for a month or so and fail to see all the negatives concerning the stock windshield. Its good quality and solidly mounted. For my one hour therapy sessions its perfectly fine ! I'm 5ft 11 and keep it in the upper position. Good enough unless you're going cross country.

Many of the posts on this forum are from people who own the original 2015-2017 FJ-09/Tracer 900, which is a different windscreen (much worse) than the revised Tracer 900 from 2018-2020 (and the all new 2021 Tracer 9) that you may have.

Also windscreen choice is going to come down to personal preference. It is awesome that you're happy with the stock windscreen, means you have more $$$ for other upgrades 😁.

• Thumbsup 3

On 3/16/2021 at 6:55 PM, petshark said:

I currently don't own anything from Puig but I'm very impressed with their airflow tests and charts, perhaps the knock-off manufacturers feel the same. As a Givi screen owner I suspect that they might not do tests like these.

image.thumb.png.d21302342a77cba93483a20312c54647.png

This made me think, I have terrible wind noise problems with my AGV Corsa R and the stock screen, even with earplugs it is not pleasant. I am 1.81m so almost the same as the graphic above.

I think I will try riding without the stock screen for a while before spending money that should be going towards suspension.

Edited by andz
  • Thumbsup 1

I've used grinder with some random metal cut off wheel made for ceramic tiles but almost any cut off wheel can be used . Just make sure you use it at low sped (up to 4k rpm) to prevent polycarbonate from melting.Even if it melts, not  a big deal, it will come right off with sand paper. I've also used jig saw before with great results to cut windscreens. Make sure you  use masking tape to prevent scratches, mark it and cut slowly. Clean rough edeges with 220 grit sandpaper and  proceed with 400, 600 to 1200 grit paper. Finally, polish it with any car buffing compound to make it shine like original cut. Sand and polish manually. Complete job in under an hour.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Clem Fandango said:

It baffles me why people buy a Tracer and then take the screen off.  Why not just buy the MT or XSR?

Seating position, side bags, center stand, I could go on. 

• Thumbsup 5

16 hours ago, Clem Fandango said:

It baffles me why people buy a Tracer and then take the screen off.  Why not just buy the MT or XSR?

oooh I can chime in!  I came from an MT in fact, and I hate my windshield with an all-consuming passion.

I'm ambivalent to windshields as a general rule (I've never found wind while riding with a naked bike to be a problem, you just lean on it and there's no effort involved) but I like them for poor weather keeping rain/hail/snow off me. 

Anyways, I absolutely didn't choose the Tracer because it had a windshield.  The Tracer is significantly taller (860mm vs 820mm, almost two inches taller), wheelbase is longer, the seating position is more upright, it has electronic cruise control, stock heated grips, color tft display, hardcases, a bigger gas tank, hand guards, it's a very different machine despite sporting the same frame(till 2020) and engine.  Much better suited for long distance riding.

But the stock windshield on mine creates a LOT of noise in my helmet, and constant buffeting at either height, coupled with no wind on the bulk of my chest makes a tremendous amount of neck strain over time.  A *good* windshield would be an improvement, but honestly I'm at a point where I'm probably just going to take mine off for spring to fall riding and just put it on in the winter.

I'd love something like @deejay20005@gmail. did, but honestly I'm aware of where my skills are (and, relevant here, are not) and I know there's no way I'd cut up my windshield and have it not end up an utter disaster.  Sadly, aftermarket windshields are often wierdly expensive here, and things are kind of tight right now, so... yeah, seriously considering just removing the stock windshield for now.

• Thumbsup 3

• 1 month later...

You are not alone :) I love riding without windscreens during summer time (I'm in Calif so it's never super cold) It's a shame that no-one offers a windscreen delete kit or a cheaper windscreen plate.