Am I the only nudist around here?

46 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Doesn't Puig make a really small sport screen? 

Yep, here's the puig racing against the stock. Works for me.

50033416397_12b58e62e6_c.jpg

50162899527_2a1af36d05_c.jpg

Edited by kilo3
  • Thumbsup 2

Innnnteresting... a quick trawl through fleaBay uncovers several semi-shady outfits from the far east selling knockoff flyscreens for around $25-$30.

So I'm thinking one of these knockoffs could be a good source of raw material for a cleaner-looking "cover plate"; grab one of these, then slice off part of the top.

I'm terrible at handicrafts like this, but I know a guy who might be able to help me get a decent result. Hmmm...

• Thumbsup 2

On 3/2/2021 at 7:51 AM, bwringer said:

Innnnteresting... a quick trawl through fleaBay uncovers several semi-shady outfits from the far east selling knockoff flyscreens for around $25-$30.

So I'm thinking one of these knockoffs could be a good source of raw material for a cleaner-looking "cover plate"; grab one of these, then slice off part of the top.

I'm terrible at handicrafts like this, but I know a guy who might be able to help me get a decent result. Hmmm...

Generally speaking the ebay windscreens are functionally identical to Puig windscreens.  Dunno why, but it seems to me that it's always Puig they knock off.  I've had a few over the years and they've always been great. 

I'm just sad they don't make them for the Tracer, just the older FJ's.

I ordered one of the fleaBay cheapie shorty-short screens this morning, and I'll report back in due time. For 21 bucks, I figure I can't go wrong. For what I'm doing, it doesn't need to be strong. It's a purely cosmetic piece.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 3:40 PM, Wintersdark said:

Generally speaking the ebay windscreens are functionally identical to Puig windscreens.  Dunno why, but it seems to me that it's always Puig they knock off.  I've had a few over the years and they've always been great.

I currently don't own anything from Puig but I'm very impressed with their airflow tests and charts, perhaps the knock-off manufacturers feel the same. As a Givi screen owner I suspect that they might not do tests like these.

image.thumb.png.d21302342a77cba93483a20312c54647.png

Edited by petshark

The fleaBay windscreen I ordered was sort of a teensy flyscreen.

But the one I actually received is quite different, and appears to be a Puig knockoff. LOL.

For a measly $21 to my door, I ain't even mad. As long as it fits my bike, which I think it will. I'll play around with it tonight, get some pics, and report back. That's still dirt cheap, even if it's just raw material I cut down.

It seems plenty sturdy and shiny, anyway.

• Supporting Member

That's a really good price if it's functionally the same as the PUIG screen. Does it come with all the hardware needed to mount? Bracket, screws, etc?

Thanks,

I wasn't planning to go naked but I was having proplems with the stock screen heights (maybe I sit funny? it was like an air hose at my helmet /ears before on the highway).  Just put a shortscreen on mine and moved my bar risers to the forward position.  Nice clean air and wind noise has dropped by 60-70%  for me!

Where did you land on the handguards?  With my levers adjusted the guards are definitely proving more cosmetic then functional and I'm toying with the idea ripping them off and maybe even narrower bars options (though there does seem to be limited space to work with).   

The windscreen I got is just the hunk of plastic. No hardware. It appears to just mount up to the stock stuff like a stock windscreen.

I'll see if I can get it mounted up and get some pics in the next day or two.

I haven't removed the handguards entirely yet, but I probably will. They sure don't do anything much for wind, and I doubt the flimsy plastic would do much at all in a drop. And they look weird.

• Thumbsup 1

10 hours ago, bwringer said:

The windscreen I got is just the hunk of plastic. No hardware. It appears to just mount up to the stock stuff like a stock windscreen.

I'll see if I can get it mounted up and get some pics in the next day or two.

I haven't removed the handguards entirely yet, but I probably will. They sure don't do anything much for wind, and I doubt the flimsy plastic would do much at all in a drop. And they look weird.

Here's my FleaBay knockoff!FJ09_9.thumb.jpg.2b0304350cd6f28aeebf906453058498.jpgFJ09_7.thumb.jpg.192052f5a6e5545d9e9a1dce8af4990c.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/26/2021 at 3:14 PM, deejay20005@gmail. said:

Hi guys.

This is what I've done. Not big fan of windscreens here. Wasn't impressed with aftermarket screens and only one I liked was made in Japan and cost was almost $200 with shipping to US. I've just cut my stock windscreen and I'm very pleased with result.

20210526_145231 resized.jpg

Very interesting. How did you cut it to get such good clean lines?

• Thumbsup 2

I ve only had my Tracer for a month or so and fail to see all the negatives concerning the stock windshield. Its good quality and solidly mounted. For my one hour therapy sessions its perfectly fine ! I'm 5ft 11 and keep it in the upper position. Good enough unless you're going cross country.