Rear wheel Touching Ground on center stand

Mirror_Image

I have a 2017 Tracer 900 that previous owner changed the rear shock for a Kawa ZX6R  i belive

Bike handles great, but problem is that she leans too far on kickstand, and on center stand the back wheel is touching grouns, and i cannot spinf it for mantainance

Is this due to shock sawp correct? But is it normal!?

Any way that i can make it stand normal?

IMG_20210313_172738.jpg

IMG_20210313_173046.jpg

IMG_20210313_173054.jpg

IMG_20210313_173059.jpg

If the non standard shock has lifted the ride height of the bike and you want to keep the Kawasaki shock you might want to try a set of lowering "dog bone" links to see if that puts it back to specification height.(possibly the cheaper option). If it was me, I would probably bin the kawasaki unit and go for a shock suitable for the Tracer.

• Thumbsup 2

It's standing higher than it does stock (there should be about an inch of clearance under the rear while on the centerstand).  Without really knowing what's going on there with the aftermarket gear, I'd *expect* that you can't really fix that without going back to the stock (or stock sized) shock, but I'm sure others can weigh in more accurately here.

I had a Gen 1 VMax that I had put a 17" rim on the back to run radials instead of Bias Tires it came with. I used a 1X4 under the center stand. The 3/4 of an inch made all the difference and it wasn't hard to use. 

I had lowered the triples about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch but as you know the Gen 1 VMax is squirrely enough without egging it on, LOL! You might be able to do that, lower the triples to get the rear tire off the ground. 

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Definitely the shock length causing this.  Had the exact same issue when I did a shock swap on my VFR years ago.  When I wanted to do service that required being on the center stand with the rear wheel off the ground I placed a piece of wood ( 1x6 I think it was ) under the bike and put it on the stand.  Problem solved.

• Thanks 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn’t use the seat. 
take both seats off or use something else that one of us could then duplicate (as a comparison measurement) so that you would then have some reliable data. 

Honestly the easiest way to see if the ride heights been increased by the shock (likely) is to remove it and measure from from the center of each eyelet. That will tell you everything. 

IMHO you have 2 different things going on: first, the shock and secondly, a worn out kickstand. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT

41 minutes ago, skipperT said:

I wouldn’t use the seat. 
take both seats off or use something else that one of us could then duplicate (as a comparison measurement) so that you would then have some reliable data. 

Honestly the easiest way to see if the ride heights been increased by the shock (likely) is to remove it and measure from from the center of each eyelet. That will tell you everything. 

IMHO you have 2 different things going on: first, the shock and secondly, a worn out kickstand. 

-Skip

Is the centre stand worn as well. IMHO it is just the shock.

On 4/20/2021 at 2:45 PM, Rick123 said:

Is the centre stand worn as well. IMHO it is just the shock.

Sure it’s possible to bend a center stand, scooters are notorious for it. Bigger bikes? I’ve seen it on older KTM’s with some miles on them, yes. 

In your case, I doubt it. But you’re gonna need to remove and start inspecting parts if you’re going to figure it out. 
-S

Edited by skipperT

20 hours ago, skipperT said:

Sure it’s possible to bend a center stand, scooters are notorious for it. Bigger bikes? I’ve seen it on older KTM’s with some miles on them, yes. 

In your case, I doubt it. But you’re gonna need to remove and start inspecting parts of your going to figure it out. 
-S

I was just kidding. It is a shock. Nothing else.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:03 PM, skipperT said:

I wouldn’t use the seat. 

-Skip

I took seat off and i took some measuremenets, the scale is in centimeters, but converted is like;

From ground to bolt - 73 centimeters = 28.7401575 inches

From Ground to passager foot peg - 49 centimeters = 19.2913386 inches

From ground to tip os passanger handle - 91 centimeters = 35.8267717 inches

I also noticed that front forks are all the way to the top. 

The bike really leans A LOT in kickstand, kickstand and center stand are not worn.

Can any of you guys take same measuremente on your tracers? Thank you in advance 

IMG_20210424_163300.jpg

IMG_20210424_163444.jpg

IMG_20210424_163458.jpg

IMG_20210424_163720.jpg

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Mirror_Image said:

hi @skipperT bike was on ground, and a buddy just holding to keep it leveled while I was tooking measurements

So, this is interesting:  On my 2015 FJ, I measure right at 29 inches to the center of that bolt on the side panel, which is fractionally taller than the 28.75 you measured.    I have an Ohlins shock on my bike, but the rear tire is off the ground by an inch or two when the bike is on the centerstand.   And mine doesn’t seem to lean excessively on the sidestand as you describe.  

I’m puzzled by that measurement, since my bike appears to sit a fraction taller than yours under the same conditions.