Abrupt Throttle in A Mode

I love my bike, but compared to others I've owned the throttle response in A mode is very abrupt, and not necessarily pleasantly so.  All the reviews say it's a big improvement over the 2014 FZ-09 and that may well be.  But compared to other bikes?  It's jerky.  Not enough to really bother me, but certainly very noticeable.  Am I being too picky?? 

The throttle is indeed abrupt even in STD mode at times.  Today, I was on a mountain twisty with some old pavement that had imperfections.  I was very smooth on the throttle, but the bumps in the corners caused me to shift throttle position and at least once I had a very unpleasant jerk that could be dangerous at higher speed.  

In general I am getting very good at keeping my throttle movement light and smooth, but it demands respect.  On the other hand, when I want that torque, it is always there in any gear at any speed.  Simply fun.

I found the throttle grip to be very slack. Too slack for my liking.
I took out the slack yesterday, very easy to do, just follow the throttle cable 6" to see the adjuster. Back of the locking nut and tighten to taste! 
I think A mode is great, so sharp, but I spend most of my time in standard.

• Premium Member
It's the nature of the beast and after doing 1400 miles in 5 weeks I can say you adapt. One thing I do, and this is similar to other bikes I've had, is keep the revs up a bit on tight corners and slip the clutch. This is only necessary on some of the very tight mini roundabouts or hairpin bends we have
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Grogsym, I can see a How To coming......
C'mon, you know you want to!
Please?
Cheers,
Steve

P.S. Remember, I don't have my bike yet!
This is so easy, a cave man could do it. There is a double sided barrel nut (standard threads on one side, and reverse threads on the other side) about 6 inches down from the throttle. Slide the rubber boot down and loosen the jam nut. Then spin the barrel nut up or down until the slack is gone, but verifying the engine will not increase revs when you turn the bars from lock to lock. Tighten the jam nut, pull the rubber boot back on and ride. This is going off of memory, but should be good.  
Throttle%20Adjuster_zpsjdpflcat.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Oldfart- A mode IS abrupt. It's supposed to be, by design - the MOST responsive throttle mode.

Changing the amount of free play by using the cable adjusters will affect the throttle grip free play before it actually moves the cables. Which could help when you go over a bump if your right wrist is a bit tight on the grip.

Hope that clarifies. The fueling that was a complaint for the FZ 09 is something totally different.

-S

How does creating slack reduce bump impacts?  Slack is only at play when you are off throttle unless I don't understand something.
Correct. A little slack in town is ok, but as soon as you start riding corners it's a nuisance.  

Thanks for the above pic, gets me out of a job!

Sorry gents,
I ought to clarify what I meant by removing cable slack in the throttle.
During my test ride, I found there to be too much slack when I was on very slight throttle then hitting pattering road bumps and then finding I was closing the throttle. Not shutting off, just in that "dead zone" When I noticed I could still rotate the throttle closed another 3mm. It was again after this, I concentrated on having the throttle slightly taut. I had adjusted my riding experience and found it to be much better.
I just didn't know how to adjust it. I seriously thought it was all electronic, no cables. But, having read a How To add heated grips, I noticed the damn cable barrels!
So, thanks to Grogsym...man!
Me caveman!
Cheers mate!
Steve

• Premium Member
How does creating slack reduce bump impacts?  Slack is only at play when you are off throttle unless I don't understand something.
Correct. A little slack in town is ok, but as soon as you start riding corners it's a nuisance.  

Thanks for the above pic, gets me out of a job!

No problem. ;) 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Oldfart- A mode IS abrupt. It's supposed to be, by design - the MOST responsive throttle mode.  
Changing the amount of free play by using the cable adjusters will affect the throttle grip free play before it actually moves the cables. Which could help when you go over a bump if your right wrist is a bit tight on the grip.

Hope that clarifies. The fueling that was a complaint for the FZ 09 is something totally different.

-S

A mode is the most resonsive, yes, but does not have to be abrupt.  My Ninja is powerful but the throttle action is very smooth, not jerky on and off.  Again, I'm not disliking the bike, I love it and will certainly get used to the throttle response.  But it could be smoother and still be just as powerful and responsive, in a good way!  

Archived