Mounting and Dismounting

• Supporting Member

After adding a bag to the rear of my seat I had a harder time getting on and off the bike (with my short inseam). Thinking I need to do some stretches 😗

Elsewhere I saw a recommendation to mount from the right side by stepping on the right peg with the side stand down. Anyone try it or have a better technique?

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

After adding a bag to the rear of my seat I had a harder time getting on and off the bike (with my short inseam). Thinking I need to do some stretches 😗

Elsewhere I saw a recommendation to mount from the right side by stepping on the right peg with the side stand down. Anyone try it or have a better technique?

When I have a bag on the back, I step on the left peg with my left foot and kick my right leg through between the tank and rear bag. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
41 minutes ago, betoney said:

step on the left peg with my left foot

I do this laden or otherwise.  Not flexible enough to just swing it over from the ground (it's not the kind of inflexibility that stretching can help much).

What's been working even better though is to stand kind of behind the left footpegs a bit and kick my right foot up & forward enough to get my right heel over the lowest point of the seat and kind of hop closer on my left foot.  My g/f giggles every time, and I'm sure it looks awkward as all get out, but meh.  It works for me.  Got the idea from watching Ewan MacGregor in one of the Long Way series.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I've never had enough faith in any kickstand to try stepping on the footpeg before swinging my leg over. I wonder how often they actually give way (if ever)? 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member

Not having much time riding I'm not confident enough in the kickstand holding either. This girl gives a good rundown on the options, I'd like to be able to master the step up as the bike is moving.

48 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

Not having much time riding I'm not confident enough in the kickstand holding either. This girl gives a good rundown on the options, I'd like to be able to master the step up as the bike is moving.

What an outstanding video! She's a fantastic teacher and the video is edited beautifully. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to go look up more of her stuff. 

• Thumbsup 1

I ride with a 46L tail case pretty much everywhere. But even without it, I've gotten into the habit of mounting from the right footpeg. The sidestand is too short for me to mount from the left. I have even started mounting the 'wing this way as well.

• Thumbsup 1

My buddy that rides a Street Triple is all torso and no legs. When he tried my FJ09 for the first time he stood on the left peg and did a ninja kick. Hope you know karate!

My own height is all legs so I have no issue (though I kick my tail bag from time to time).

• Thumbsup 1