Estimating weight for Öhlins STX46

keithu

• Premium Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Öhlins STX46 shock. With gear I weigh 250-260lbs, so it would seem logical to order one for 250-270lbs. But I always have my saddlebags mounted on the bike, and my aux fuel system adds 30lbs to the rear of the bike when full. So I'm wondering if I should order a shock for 270-290lbs. Thoughts? I'm somewhat ignorant when it comes to suspension setup, I just know when it feels right and when it doesn't.

gh

Yes, you need to account for all weight, so... include packed  side cases, and assume a  full aux cell.

Yesterday, I took Annie for a ride around the Columbian Basin for ~ 300 miles, and she indicated the suspension is not up to task to carry her to Provo, Utah for the start of the 2021 Iron Butt Rally (we are Staff for that event). I called my Suspension Doctor last night, gave him all our info and he is researching our options now. If we only beef up the rear suspension, it will only make the marginal front end even worse, so... likely enough, we will do both.

Sidebar: her exact words were: "I want you to fix it before we depart for Provo", and then gave me "The Look".... 😲

AnnieBDay.thumb.jpg.6c1644f45edba0f608a0b272cfa39388.jpg

I immediately said "Yes, ma'am!" 😃

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
37 minutes ago, keithu said:

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Öhlins STX46 shock. With gear I weigh 250-260lbs, so it would seem logical to order one for 250-270lbs. But I always have my saddlebags mounted on the bike, and my aux fuel system adds 30lbs to the rear of the bike when full. So I'm wondering if I should order a shock for 270-290lbs. Thoughts? I'm somewhat ignorant when it comes to suspension setup, I just know when it feels right and when it doesn't.

gh

My thoughts on the spring rate are to set it up for how you have it packed most of the time, you can always crank up the spring preload for a trip if you add extra gear and fuel. 

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 5:55 PM, keithu said:

gh

Did you get it with our without the hydraulic adjuster? I'm trying to find out if it is not too hard to adjust the preload with the manual tool on a GT.

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, petshark said:

Did you get it with our without the hydraulic adjuster? I'm trying to find out if it is not too hard to adjust the preload with the manual tool on a GT.

I ordered it with the remote preload adjuster. Unfortunately they had to custom order my spring so the shock ETA is June. 

15 hours ago, keithu said:

I ordered it with the remote preload adjuster. Unfortunately they had to custom order my spring so the shock ETA is June. 

That’s a long time. Will they build you a custom spring or are Ohlins out of stock?

I’m still on the fence about the adjuster 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, petshark said:

That’s a long time. Will they build you a custom spring or are Ohlins out of stock?

I’m still on the fence about the adjuster 

They don't have the spring I want in stock (270-290#) so it has to be ordered. The springs are lovingly formed into the proper shape by buxom maidens working in a small cottage in rural Sweden. Such things cannot be hurried.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2