• Supporting Member
On 4/11/2021 at 4:44 AM, BBB said:

I’ve been stopped multiple times in cars and bikes in the UK.

On the bike: engine off, onto side stand, off the bike and helmet off, look contrite. I’ve never had any form of ticket, even when caught doing 60 in a 30 limit. Talk about bikes, accept any lectures given, nod at their wise insights and it has always worked out.

In the car: 32 in a 30, three points and a fine. 37 in a 30, speed awareness course.

I always get done in the car, zero tolerance, but always get let off on the bike. Strange, but I guess it reflects the major volume of police work will be against cars.

Do these penalties also get applied from speed cameras or is it only through an actual stop by police?

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

I know here in Canada, a ticket from speed cameras is $$ only, but no points on your license or anything else.  Mostly because while you're responsible for what your registered vehicle is doing (thus, don't loan it to people who are going to do stupid stuff) they can't prove it's actually you.  

It's extremely rare to be stopped for <10kph over the limit up to around 70kph, and <20 over above that.  

I've had people say they got a ticket for doing 3kph over the limit, but I'mma press F to doubt on that one.  It'd be pointless, it would never hold up in court. 

With the caveat that's all very much not the case in school zones(playground zones now? whatever) where it's very normal for there to be zero tolerance.  

Nobody gets forced penalties (traffic school), however taking a defensive driving course will remove a couple points on your license, which could be the difference between having your license suspended for too many points and not. 

At the high end, you don't get speeding tickets anymore.  I got the graphic details when being harangued after being stopped for topping out the Tracer in an 80kph zone.  Vehicle is impounded.  License is suspended.  Can be charged with reckless driving (which if it sticks will essentially double insurance rates), and which is a mandatory court appearance and can involve significant fines on it's own and/or jail time - though the latter seems to be reserved for something way more over the top than just going fast.

22 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Do these penalties also get applied from speed cameras or is it only through an actual stop by police?

Speed cameras are unarguable. My last one was 3 points on my licence (accumulate 12 and you’re banned) and a £100 fine or a speed awareness course (still £100 but no points). 

An actual police stop can be more discretionary and can sometimes be less painful. 

• Sad 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)