• Supporting Member

So with the weather finally getting warmer and more riders are heading out, wanted to refresh my memory on what to do if I get pulled over by police while riding my motorcycle. In general it looks like the following :

1. Turn on hazards once you get lit up by the patrol car and turn into the nearest safe place to stop. 

2. Turn off the engine, put side stand down. Q: Do or do not remove helmet/gloves?

3.  Stay on the bike with hands easily viewable by the officer. Q: I see a lot of riders ask the officer's permission to get off the bike, is this just a courtesy or a best  practice?

4. Await further information from the officer. Q: I usually ride  with GoPro on. Anything I need to formally disclose to the officer?

Anything else I might have missed? Haven't ridden long distance in awhile and wanted to refresh my memory. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

If I get pulled over, by the time the cop gets to me I have my helmet off and my licence in my hand.

"Good day officer" has got me out of many a ticket because my numberplate is illegally small but everything else is by the book.

• Thumbsup 1

I like that you’re planning on getting pulled over 😂

Kill switch, kick stand, stay on the bike, with the heels of my hands on the bars and fingers raised. I keep helmet and gloves on as I’m not removing my hands from the bars until I’ve confirmed the officer is okay with me doing so. I also ask permission to reach for my wallet. I’ve never had to remove my helmet so far. 

And yeah, “yes, sir” “no, sir” “my apologies, sir” has kept me out of tickets so far. 

• Thumbsup 4
  • Haha 1

Try this. When I blew past a LEO hidden in a line of cars going slow in front of him, he stopped me and sent me on my way after I explained..."I don't get it out very often and was just blowing some of the crud out of it"

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, angrygirafe said:

I like that you’re planning on getting pulled over 😂

Kill switch, kick stand, stay on the bike, with the heels of my hands on the bars and fingers raised. I keep helmet and gloves on as I’m not removing my hands from the bars until I’ve confirmed the officer is okay with me doing so. I also ask permission to reach for my wallet. I’ve never had to remove my helmet so far. 

And yeah, “yes, sir” “no, sir” “my apologies, sir” has kept me out of tickets so far. 

Good reminder about asking before reaching for my wallet, which reminds me, if I'm licensed  for concealed carry, am I supposed to disclose that at the beginning of the stop?

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

9 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Good reminder about asking before reaching for my wallet, which reminds me, if I'm licensed  for concealed carry, am I supposed to disclose that at the beginning of the stop?

It depends on the state. Some require you to disclose IF your are carrying, others do not. I don’t think there are states that require you to disclose your permit if you’re NOT carrying at the time. I always disclose if I’m carrying regardless of the state requirement, because I don’t want any misunderstanding about my intentions. I usually open with a very loud and clear “Sir, I am carrying a concealed handgun at” and specify where on my body it is. 

In Wyoming, the handful of times I got pulled over they were super cool about and we talked carry preferences for a few minutes 😂

Haven’t been pulled over in Arizona yet. I feel like they probably won’t be as casual about it here in Phoenix. 

• Thumbsup 2

13 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

I don't know if certain states require you to disclose that. Check local rules for that. I have my CFP for Utah, but I haven't been pulled over yet while carrying. I don't usually carry on my body while riding (don't want that hunk of steel between me and the ground if I ever wreck), but if it is in my tank bag or trunk, I would let the officer know. I have been told by friends who are LE that they feel a bit more comfortable if someone tells them they have a firearm and a CFP. 

In general, I don't think there are specific rules you need to follow, just best practices.

2 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

So with the weather finally getting warmer and more riders are heading out, wanted to refresh my memory on what to do if I get pulled over by police while riding my motorcycle. In general it looks like the following :

1. Turn on hazards once you get lit up by the patrol car and turn into the nearest safe place to stop. 

2. Turn off the engine, put side stand down. Q: Do or do not remove helmet/gloves?

3.  Stay on the bike with hands easily viewable by the officer. Q: I see a lot of riders ask the officer's permission to get off the bike, is this just a courtesy or a best  practice?

4. Await further information from the officer. Q: I usually ride  with GoPro on. Anything I need to formally disclose to the officer?

Anything else I might have missed? Haven't ridden long distance in awhile and wanted to refresh my memory. 

Thanks for posting.. I hadn’t really contemplated this very much but great food for thought.: of course hopefully I won’t be in this situation but never know

• Thumbsup 1

Assume this applies to USA, in England our police officers tend not to point a gun at you if you reach for your wallet😂 there are exceptions!

Last time I got pulled was because a copper pointed a hair dryer at me, apparently I was doing 70 in a 60, actually I was doing 90 but I braked sharply when I saw him😉

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

• Supporting Member

Just got pulled over a week ago... "I pulled you over because you rocketed out of that traffic circle at 50mph".  I have my wallet and paperwork in my tank bag, I handed him my license and insurance and was all yes officer, no officer.  A few minutes later he let me go with a warning. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I try to make the officer as comfortable as possible. Immediately acknowledge their presence, find a safe place to pull over, keep hands in plain site, and let them control the conversation. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member

I was going to say I always dismount as soon as I pull over. I keep my registration and insurance card under the seat so I'd need to get off the bike anyway. But then it occurred to me I haven't been pulled over on a motorcycle in almost 20 years now. Clean livin', I guess. 🤔

I shouldn't have said anything, now I'm sure to get pulled over the next time I ride. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, betoney said:

Just got pulled over a week ago... "I pulled you over because you rocketed out of that traffic circle at 50mph".  I have my wallet and paperwork in my tank bag, I handed him my license and insurance and was all yes officer, no officer.  A few minutes later he let me go with a warning. 

I feel like traffic circles are designed specifically to tempt us 😂

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

I would add one other suggestion.....if you do get off the bike, do not walk back towards the officer as he/she is trying to watch traffic and you.  

• Thumbsup 1