MT-09 SP Logical Step-up from FJ09 & Tracer 900 (non GT)?

• Supporting Member

Hi guys,

I've owned a 2015 FJ09 since 2016, and I was looking at Yamaha's offerings for 2021. I'm not hurting to sell the fudge 9 as I love it. But I am interested in the revised CP3 engine, and cruise control for longer rides. Browsing the catalogue it seems like the MT-09 SP is the best monetary value for those of use who have our own luggage.

The MT-09 SP for 2021 (MSRP $10,999) has full adjustable KYB front forks, rear is fully remote-adjustable Ohlins, and comes with cruise control. In my opinion the single-screen TFT dash is more attractive than the 9 GT's split-dash, and of course it comes with slipper clutch and the quickshifter that have been standard on top-of-line models for a few years now. This is all the stuff people coming from an FJ09/Tracer 900 are probably looking at.

While initial reviews of the Tracer 9 GT (MSRP $14,899) are obviously favorable, I'd find it hard to justify $3,999 more for luggage, windscreen, heated grips, handguards, and electronic suspension. Especially since many of us already have our own Givi or SHAD luggage, and are not adverse to a few hundred $ for aftermarket windscreen, heated grips, and handguards. But you do get more passenger room on the 9 GT frame.

I'd personally like to see a review of the 9 GT's KYB semi-active suspension vs the SP's Ohlins + KYB combo. I have an Ohlins rear on my FJ09 and it completely transformed the bike.

Of course, I can always just install the slipper clutch pack and MC Cruise on my FJ09 for about $1,000 and call it a day.

Anyone in the same boat as me have opinions? I think the 2021 MT-09 oozes value, considering its current MSRP was that of the old FJ09/Tracer 900. It's got enough features I think it may cannibalize sales of the non-GT Tracers. EDIT: Just checked Yamaha's US website they no longer list non-GT Tracers so I guess that was the plan all along 🤪

Cheers.

Edited by jthayer09
  • Thumbsup 1

Maybe not in the same boat as you as I'm not thinking of changing my 17 plate Tracer, but always happy with an opinion. I didn't go  down the GT route and went for a base model Tracer pre-loved with luggage. I have been looking at the specs of the new MT-09, Tracer 9 and GT and if I was in the market for a new bike I would probably go for the less expensive Tracer 9 but trade my present bike in without the Shad 3 piece luggage. But whatever you decide is your decision so you can't be wrong. 

They way you put it, the MT-09 SP sounds like the better value proposition if you don't do a lot of touring.  If you only tour a few times a year and have your own luggage that you can mount to the SP for the occasional trip, I say go for it.  

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

While initial reviews of the Tracer 9 GT (MSRP $14,899) are obviously favorable, I'd find it hard to justify $3,999 more for luggage, windscreen, heated grips, handguards, and electronic suspension. Especially since many of us already have our own Givi or SHAD luggage, and are not adverse to a few hundred $ for aftermarket windscreen, heated grips, and handguards. But you do get more passenger room on the 9 GT frame.

I also am not yet sold on electronic suspension, though I admittedly have never tried it to determine its cost vs. effectiveness. 

According to the spec sheet press releases the Tracer 9 has 2 pre-set settings; sport or comfort/ standard, are those 2 settings as effective as properly setup aftermarket parts? do you still need correct springs for your weight? what happens if a servo motor malfunctions or a fuse blows?  

If the MT09SP meets your needs, the price difference sure makes it an attractive option. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

+1

I did them slipper assist and muck ruse

And have my suspension front rear nice nice

And all set up with shad panniers and top case and nice clip mount tank bag

Take it all off and put on a bikini screen and swap when you wanna Barn door

A Flash and phone GPS mounts Stomp grips if your old

The 15CP3 does just fine for me and I'm lardy

More Grunt would be nice and the 21 sp  Is the business why not have both??

Gotta try the 21 ktm 790 brat though not maybe Yami bullet proof 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

They way you put it, the MT-09 SP sounds like the better value proposition if you don't do a lot of touring.  If you only tour a few times a year and have your own luggage that you can mount to the SP for the occasional trip, I say go for it.  

Therein lies my problem, I do about 8,000mi/year but it's usually 1 or 2 long trips and just daily riding for fun or commuting. So I do benefit from the larger fuel-tank on the Tracer and occasionally the increased passenger space.

I think it's ultimately going to come down to the aftermarket for someone like me; if Givi makes the racks that fit my current luggage, and wind protection accessories I can just slap on the SP then there's my choice. If not, Tracer time. I'm not going to make a purchase this season but I'll be following the aftermarket closely. Who knows? Maybe Yami will bring the Tracer 700 over stateside at a later point in time and make this decision even harder.

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Gotta try the 21 ktm 790 brat though not maybe Yami bullet proof 

I was very close to buying a KTM 890 duke due to dealers in my area selling things $1,000 or more below MSRP from the lack of sales; bike has good reviews and a cruise control trim (or even just a $100 addon). I took a look on the 790/890 section on ktmforums.com to see the general consensus on reliability, big oof. Saying it's "not bad" would be extremely generous. Also all 890 Dukes come with quick shifter hardware installed but you gotta pay a dealer to unlock it via software. I'm not going to support a company that does that; quickshift was standard on a 2019 790.

It's a shame the base (non-GT) Tracer 9 isn't available here in the states, that may actually be the best compromise depending on how it was priced.

WRT KTM 790 and 890:

If you want to get to know your dealership on a first name basis, then enjoy.  They are fun to ride, I’ll give you that. 

BTW MT09 now has quick shift up and down, which (I think?) is a first for Yamaha.  No computer unlock $ required  

-Skip

Edited by skipperT

• Premium Member

Really the stuff that came standard on the 7 nineties is extra on the 890

Reliability was the bugaboo

I've got 2 bikes to swap back-and-forth on and don't have room for 3rd because the space for a 3rd is taken on a project bike, my 77RD 400

So nothing is happening this season

I just wanna ride while I can before my impending surgery

• Thumbsup 2