2017 FJ vs 2019 Tracer

• Premium Member

I liked the FJ more than I like the goo. Of course the running gear is similar and I do like the windshield adjuster better but I really hate the rear bodywork for trying to use a cargo net to haul loose articles.  I don't have and didn't want the luggage as it's just my mountain bike and I take it to the mountains in the bed of my truck.  On day trips I don't want luggage. And why oh why couldn't they have just left the whole bodywork alone?  My engine guards and the Corbin seat from off the FJ don't fit on the goo. I'd be tempted to trade someone for a 2017 FJ for my 1600 mile goo.  I took the goo to the mountains last week and it did ok, but I  don't like the narrower handlebars and if I had my druthers, I'd go with the shorter swingarm too.  It will come with 300 miles on the original tires some love but I won't tolerate. Either with a FJ or a goo I definitely need to update the forks and shock.  Thing is, I didn't think the FJ was that bad.  I did the deal over the phone and in person I don't think I would have gone through with the deal.  But, if I don't make any mistakes worse than that this year, I guess I have it good.  Rant over.

All the differences that you don't like definitely were intended to be improvements, just not for the canyon carvers.  And I'm sure you know that they can't update the bike without changing the bodywork.  That just isn't good business.  

I don't have any advice for you.  Sucks to be disappointed.  

• Thumbsup 1

43 minutes ago, fjray said:

I really hate the rear bodywork for trying to use a cargo net to haul loose articles.  I don't have and didn't want the luggage as it's just my mountain bike and I take it to the mountains in the bed of my truck.  On day trips I don't want luggage. And why oh why couldn't they have just left the whole bodywork alone?

Gotta say, this is one of my biggest complaints about the Tracer overall - the grab rails seem to be specifically designed to resist any attempt to attach straps/hooks/nets to.  It *LOOKS* like it'd be great for carrying stuff over the pillion seat, but it is not.  What I did was attached those tiedown eyelets: 

to basically every bolt around the rear of the bike, including the grab rail bolts.  It helps. (Edit: mine where dirt cheap Aliexpress/eBay knockoff versions of these, because WAY cheaper - got 10 for $5)

Seriously, though, WTF yamaha.  Yeah, I have a GT.  I have the full set of stock luggage, and it's great.  But you know what?  It's REALLY NORMAL to have to carry stuff on a bike either in addition to the stock hardcases or simply that won't fit in them (like, say, a second helmet when going to pick up a passenger), and having points in the bodywork that can accept hooks is both easy to hide and essentially free.  Just making the grab rails thinner in points would have helped volumes.

Heck, it's hard to just use regular bungie straps to tie something onto the rear of the bike.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

One perceived upgrade is I swear it seemed faster around here when I first got it. I mean I know every foot of the four or five miles of curves I have around here and I am sure looking at the speedometer that I was going 5 mph faster in the faster curves.  I have the name and number of a suspension guru who was THE guy to go to in the race paddock

Well it's all simple math. Shorter wheelbase equals less lean angle for the same corner.

Here in PA even our interstates aren't straight. The back roads I look for on rides are crazy curvy. You want a sportbike wheelbase.

It's sad to hear you're not happy with your new bike. Can the old swingarm be installed on the new one?

• Premium Member

I'm hoping but probably I'll just have to put up with it.  Wife has about been ready to shut down my bike purchases.  Can't say that I need anything more than upgraded suspension.  

• Premium Member

Oh and I love your Pennsylvania Turnpike on two wheels. I used to drive semi trucks and charter buses through there.  

1 hour ago, fjray said:

I'm hoping but probably I'll just have to put up with it.  Wife has about been ready to shut down my bike purchases.  Can't say that I need anything more than upgraded suspension.  

LOL know what you mean!  After I bought the Tracer GT I said something to the Mrs. about the new Aprilia 660 - instant negative reaction - you just bought a bike you can't be happy with anything ....

As for luggage when I bought mine had to load all my gear on the new bike and ride 1,400 miles home.  I used straps on the rear footage hangers and the pillion handgrips which worked well for me.

Kind of know how you feel.  Traded my ZX6R for a BMW F800GT and had some serous remorse over it but flip side for me was I did a lot of long trips on the BMW that have been incredible.  For me the Tracer GT captures some of the fun factor of the ZX6R but still able to do long solo trips.  Mrs won't allow multiple motorcycles.  Currently have the Tracer GT plus two scooters.  Scooters are used for carrying me and my photo gear around the track so need at least one.  

My GT seemed to really like dropping the front 7mm - I'm pretty sure I don't ride as hard as you but it helped along with setting the suspension.

4 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

LOL know what you mean!  After I bought the Tracer GT I said something to the Mrs. about the new Aprilia 660 - instant negative reaction

I got the same reaction last week when I mentioned now that dealerships have opened up I was going to test ride a BMW 900 XR. "what do you want to do that for" and Don't you like your bike were two of the comments. Mind you this was the Lady that wanted me to splash out on a new Tracer GT rather than the two year old one I eventually went for. I don.t want to buy it I just want to try it.

4 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

My GT seemed to really like dropping the front 7mm - I'm pretty sure I don't ride as hard as you but it helped along with setting the suspension.

I know I don’t ride as fast as he does, but I try to keep up as best I can.  I think he needs to get to the track with me this summer...no matter what bike he ends up with!  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

I know I don’t ride as fast as he does, but I try to keep up as best I can.  I think he needs to get to the track with me this summer...no matter what bike he ends up with!  

Oh I can see it would also be expensive hanging out with Jeff more.  Wampum Pennsylvania Superbike races I believe has a YCRS event if it wouldn't be sold out already. 

• Haha 1

I don't know that I buy that the wheelbase would make much of a difference in how far you lean, but it might make a difference for how stable and planted you feel while in a lean.  FJRay, do you get a sense of why you are slower on the curves in the Tracer?  Pucker factor with something not feeling right that keeps you from pushing it a bit more?  Seems like something that a better suspension would take care of. 

• Premium Member

Actually I didn't say and don't think I am slower on the Tracer.  Just feels harder to turn in but once I got used to it, it's good.  More a complaint about the body and the suspension and the brakes.  I've always just ridden around whatever shortcomings the bike had as that's all I had and could afford.  I did out Traxxion Dynamics AK20 cartridges in a set of forks on my 1800 Goldwing.  Nice, improved it but then after a few days, the feeling is just the new normal, not $1200 worth of suspension.  What can I say, I'm frugal. Also retired. Love the hours but the pay sucks. 

• Thumbsup 2

Yeah for sure, longer wheelbase is going to be less "flicky" feeling, just how it works.  Conversely, the Tracer is going to be more stable at high speed, and this can be seen looking back at issues with the FJ's getting headshake at high speed - both from shorter wheelbase and aerodynamic input from wide bars and such.  I'm pretty sure both have the same rake and trail though. 

Do you need to lean more with a longer wheelbase?  Honestly I don't know, that's beyond my motorcycle physics knowledge; but I'm genuinely curious now.  It can't see it being that significant though. 

• Thumbsup 1