New Owner 2020 Tracer 900GT

Bob K

Hi everybody I am here from the MT 07 forum, since I traded for a 2020 GT . I loved the 07 , but got it in my head I would like to do some longer trips maybe ? I have taken the GT out twice for a total of 211 miles so I am just getting to know it . I found the bike very easy to ride easier than the 07 at low speed , very balanced . Also all that electronics is not as daunting as I thought . I will post a pic I took on today's ride if I can get to the right size ? 

DSC0062102.JPG

• Thumbsup 7
  • Like 1

Congrats and enjoy. This is about the most helpful and non-judgmental forum you will find for a bike. So much to learn here and people answer questions without generally making you feel stupid for asking. 

• Thumbsup 4

Welcome to the forum @Bob K. I’ve deleted the member pin on the map that you reported so go ahead and make a new one.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

The more I ride my '20 GT the more I like it. Got 300 mi in yesterday in blustery wind. Just took off locally with no plan thru the Flint Hills. Handling is great, response too. So far avg mpg is 49.7. Before I order a seat I'm going to rework the rider with some memory foam. Dont think I can make it worse! I bought a Skwoosh seat pad which helped a lot yesterday. Search Skwoosh for info. The return policy is pay shipping back no questions asked. US made.

• Thumbsup 2

Welcome!  Good move to buy a bike thinking of taking trips.  3 years ago I wandered into a local dealership and saw a used BMW F800GT they had just marked down.  I was recently retired and after thinking for a week traded my wonderful Kawasaki ZX6R 636 for the BMW.  How many 60+ folks do you know who ride a ZX6R!  The BMW and I went on some wonderful long trips together.  First was to the Tetons and Yellowstone then went to Idaho and up to Glacier Nation Park and came back via Minot ND!  Last June went to SD then down thru eastern Wyoming to Moab UT.  We had some great times - I went with all my friends - me and the BMW!  All the time I was missing the power and sound of the ZX6R.  We set out for Idaho in August and made it to Nebraska and had a bearing failure - I did the logical thing, fixed the BMW and rode it to Sioux Falls SD and traded for a new Tracer GT!  The chassis and suspension of the Tracer GT are not quite as good as the BMW but the engine!!!!   It is magic :-)   I have not regretted trading for a minute.  As you mentioned the Tracer GT is easy to balance and I agree.  I expected it to be more difficult but was very pleasantly surprised.  I also found it easy to take off without stalling, something I had to be careful of with the BMW and my sport bikes.  

I see you are from NW Missouri, have been thru there several times.  For me coming from Alabama the hardest part of my trips out west are getting to Springfield Missouri - 560 miles in one day.  Day 2 I can be in Grand Island Nebraska - 500 miles.  The Tracer GT is a wonderful mid-weight sport touring bike.  At the unofficial speed limit in Alabama of 79 mph it gets around 42MPG.  I guess if you went faster it would get worse mileage but I don't know about that :-)   Slower speeds it get better gas mileage.  Think on one stretch of 60 to 65MPH I averaged 50MPG.  This is loaded with full sidecases, a 39L top case, a 58 liter duffle on the rear seat and a full tank bag + me.

Two weeks ago I made a quick trip to Topeka KS to get a Bagster seat from a forum member near Kansas City.  Was a nice trip and the bike was wonderful.  I bought it in Sioux Falls SD so already had some trip miles on it but in stock form.  Changes I've made include a MRA windscreen + cheap Amazon wing (should have bought the more expensive MRA screen which is the same thing), adjusted suspension including dropping ripples 7mm, changed front tire to Michelin Pilot Power 5 and rear tire to a Michelin Road 5, added a Yamaha luggage rack plus 39L top case and now the Bagster seat.  Yamaha does not recommend having a top case plus side cases but I've had no problems.  Believe their concern is overloading and too much weight too far back.  I only use the top case for helmet and rain gear storage - but stuff will creep in!  The bike will eat up the miles and the cruse control is super nice to have.  In addition have a Garmin XT which is nice even if not navigating it will show gas and food ahead.  It does a good job on long hauls but is still good in the curves.  I like a lighter bike and the Tracer GT is a sporty bike that has the ability to do long trips.  

If you have any questions about doing a long motorcycle trip just ask.  For me a long trip is not so much about the destination but more a number of days of motorcycle riding.  Some are wonderful and some less so (think wind and rain) but they are all fun.  I've ridden in temperatures up to 105F and in all kinds of rain from sudden summer showers to all day rain with strong gusty winds and rain down to 34F!  The cold rain was going over a pass in northern Utah and was one of the tougher rides - I was mostly dry but legs were damp and no heated gear - only heated grips.  Had to clinch my jaw to keep my teeth from chattering - 

• Thumbsup 2

I rode similar routes on my F800GT, but not as enjoyable. KC to Williston, ND, to Glacier, to Yellowstone, to Tetons, to Hells Canyon, and back. A riding companion turned to a arsehole which ruined the trip and the buzz of the GT was awful. Convinced that is what made 2 headlight bulbs shoot craps. Got my $ out of it though thanks to Jerry at Bentonville BMW (now OOB sadly. The best dealership EVER imo). I knew better but spent $$ trying to make it what I knew it wasn't! Never works no matter how much you throw at it, and I know that! Got close to 700K in my 64 yrs of riding. Still going strong on my new Tracer 900GT. Like it as much as 2 of my 3 BMW's, and several other bikes. Ride what you got, but be safe!!

LOL know what you mean about the headlight bulbs on the F800GT!  Mine always went out on the way home when it was raining!!!  I finally did a bit of research and discovered a "heavy duty" bulb popular with Suburu owners who apparently have a similar problem with some models.  Ordered two and one was in the tank bag when I traded.  I'll give a shout out the Vern Eide in Sioux Falls SD as they gave me a hassle free great deal on the Tracer GT and a good trade-in for the BMW.  My F800GT did vibrate but not too much - grip puppies plus a relaxed grip made it work for me.  

5 hours ago, TomTracer said:

The more I ride my '20 GT the more I like it. Got 300 mi in yesterday in blustery wind. Just took off locally with no plan thru the Flint Hills. Handling is great, response too. So far avg mpg is 49.7. Before I order a seat I'm going to rework the rider with some memory foam. Dont think I can make it worse! I bought a Skwoosh seat pad which helped a lot yesterday. Search Skwoosh for info. The return policy is pay shipping back no questions asked. US made.

Looked at their website and which pad did you go with, the classic saddle short looks good to me?

Edited by Ride365

Thats what I thought but I returned it and got the long. Its not perfect but helps lots. I got off the bike once in 5+ hrs, couldnt have done that without the pad. My arse was tired but thats from not riding much the past year. The seat is still hard, and why I will alter the memory foam.

• Thumbsup 1

I left out something. I called Skwoosh to see if return authorization was needed, it is. Customer Service emailed me all the needed infi,  just basic info. Promptly refunded my $, and shipped my new order promptly.

I left out something. I called Skwoosh to see if return authorization was needed, it is. Customer Service emailed me all the needed infi,  just basic info. Promptly refunded my $, and shipped my new order promptly.