New Owner 2020 Tracer 900GT

Bob K

I tried my seat modified having done it successfully before.

I felt it was a complete waste of time.

Having bought the bike in 2019, new, I was reluctant to spend on a Bagster thinking surely Yamaha can't have made it as bad as it seems.

Finally committing to the 300gb£ in 2020 improved enjoyment of the bike hugely and enabled use of the tank capacity, rather than enforced stops at 80miles or so.

It's dreadfull that a tourer should be sold with an awfull seat but it is what it is. The bike is still a bargain imho.

7 hours ago, flyfifer said:

Finally committing to the 300gb£ in 2020 improved enjoyment of the bike hugely and enabled use of the tank capacity, rather than enforced stops at 80miles or so.

Hi, what is a 300gb£ ? Is that a Bagster?

While the Bagster seat is the most comfortable seat I've had I've often thought about modifying seats on my bikes but have never taken the plunge.  Part of the problem is I don't know any seat or upholstery folks nearby and also not sure where to get materials like foam.  In addition the fear of taking my one seat apart and having a worse seat is a definite possibility so have typically not ventured there.  Now I have a "spare" stock rock seat so could experiment but am happy with my Bagster so not motivated but I want to hear about what others have done.

For those who have modified their seats it would be nice to have a seat mod thread with resources like where to get materials like foam, vinyl, etc.

Memory foam is available through most craft stores (Joann Fabrics, Michaels, etc), contact cement is at WalMart for $8/can, small upholstery shops are all over the place near me, I use my electric knife to trim the foam as well as a long window scraper blade, pneumatic staple guns are inexpensive, and I heat the seat skin with an old electric heating pad. Mark the seat pan and the seat skin to give yourself alignment marks. The warm seat skin will stretch more easily and a hairdrier will help with stretching during reinstall.  Press and Seal helped hold the memory foam on to the seat pan foam after contact cement spray, left it on overnight with bungee net holding everything together for good adhesion. 

It looks far more daunting than it is. Just go slow with trimming the new foam. Once you think you are close to final trim and ready to reinstall the seat skin, put the uncovered seat on the bike and sit on it to check comfort, fine tune trim before adding skin. 

• Thumbsup 1