My Thirsty Girl!

Did an oil change on the FJ and for the first time I let the oil drain overnight instead of for 15 minutes.

Filled to the top of the sight glass, ran motor for a few minutes and oil light came on.

Added more oil to top of sight glass until I completely drained the third quart container dry.

First time she took that much.  Thirsty girl with that overnight drain!

oil.jpg

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

42 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Hmmm.....this engine plus filter doesn't hold 3 full quarts, I believe it's 2.4 without filter and 2.7 with filter?

2.7 liters, so 2.85 quarts.  2.85 quarts isn't physically full, just the recommended quantity.  It'd be easy to get another .15 quarts in; and you've got to remember some of that is still going to be in the bottles too unless @nhchris is super religious about draining every tiny bit out of each bottle.

If the engine is fully disassembled, the manual asks for 3.4 liters (3.59 quarts).

So, his amounts do indeed check out.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

2.7 liters, so 2.85 quarts.  2.85 quarts isn't physically full, just the recommended quantity.  It'd be easy to get another .15 quarts in; and you've got to remember some of that is still going to be in the bottles too unless @nhchris is super religious about draining every tiny bit out of each bottle.

I drain the quart till the flow stops and it begins the drip drip drip.  At $15 a quart I figure it's good to the (almost) last drop!

2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member

I've thought about doing an overnight drain too, but I already change the oil and filter ever 3000-3500 miles anyway which is probably overkill.

• Thumbsup 2

I lean the bike over on the side as much as possible and that usually gets half a liter or more of oil. When its on the center stand there's only so much oil that can drain out.....

• Premium Member

My opinion is that there isn't much, if any added benefit in removing every last drop of the old oil when you do an oil change. Of course this doesn't do any harm, so if folks feel like waiting to get it all out, it's all good!

The procedure I use is as follows: 

Step 1: Warm the engine by running the bike at idle for a few minutes. I usually wait until the fan comes on before I move to the next step.

Step 2: Remove the oil drain plug and let the oil drain into my oil pan. Replace crush washer before reinstalling drain plug.

Step 3: While waiting for the oil to fall into the pan, remove the old oil filter and replace with a new one (putting a light coat of oil on the rubber gasket of the new oil filter) 

Step 4: Re-Install Drain Plug, being careful not to over tighten

Step 6: Fill with recommended amount of oil

Step 5: Start engine and check for leaks around the oil filter and the plug where you remove oil from the oil pan.

Step 6: Check oil level to ensure it is within tolerance 

Step 7: Go Ride

Yup, the riding is the important thing.

At the mileage I ride a year (5-6K miles) an oil change is an annual event.  So I live it up with expensive full synth Yamalube n filter and a new crush washer every time.

I read about folks buying less expensive oil and third-party filters, but I spring for the OEM stuff.  So far I've never had a seep, weep, leak, drip or drop under the bike.  May it always be so!!

@NormR-- My drain is on the bottom-front of the oil pan. When FJ is up on center stand all the juice flows in that direction.  No leaning required.  

• Thumbsup 1
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Not for me. I'm a bird watcher!!

• Thumbsup 1
2003 Honda ST 1300