Anyone else ride with heavy people on the back?

I'm skinny at 160lbs. but I started dating someone who has told me she weighs 300lbs. 

We were already planning on going for a ride at some point soon, but I'm wondering is 460lbs. too much? I also have a top box installed which she wants to use for the backrest aspect, but won't be loaded with anything. 

I see the max carry weight is just under 400lbs. am I pushing my luck? Wouldn't plan any big rides with her, but could we go around town reasonably safely or is this just a bad idea? 

• Supporting Member

..probably would feel more confident on the highway as opposed to around town.

But, I'd feel that way with any passenger, tbh.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, micah2074 said:

That'll overload the bike. I pretty sure 400 lbs is the weight limit

Yeah, I'd be hesitant to ride with a 300 lbs pillion for 460 lbs total weight especially if you don't have an upgraded rear shock.

I just got home from a 5-day trip. I think the total weight was 420 lbs: Me @ 180 in gear, GF @ 150 in gear + 90 lbs in side cases and top box. I've also got an Ohlins stx46 rear shock and had properly adjusted preload, and even then it was pretty squirrely at slow speeds and the moment right before coming to a complete stop was still iffy.

Your passenger is going to be 300lbs of concentrated weight at one point above and behind you.

Up to you though.

Edited by jthayer09
  • Thumbsup 2

It's not a passenger-friendly bike to begin with. The rear will be collapsed and the front wheel will want to go skyward. The geometry does not make for good physics. It's not a good idea. I don't see it ending well. 

• Thumbsup 1

I agree with the above replies, my girlfriend is 125 pounds and I wouldn’t want much more than that. The added weight on the back is very noticeable in terms of handling & performance.., of course not a problem for the engine.

• Thumbsup 1

I weigh 110kg and my wife weighs 65kg, we ride 2 up most of the time. That's 385lb nekkid. I'm not sure how much the gear weighs.

Tomorrow we are going on a trip with the big Givi topbox packed for the weekend.

The suspension is standard and the bike handles and rides fine.

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

Yeah, I'd be hesitant to ride with a 300 lbs pillion for 460 lbs total weight especially if you don't have an upgraded rear shock.

I just got home from a 5-day trip. I think the total weight was 420 lbs: Me @ 180 in gear, GF @ 150 in gear + 90 lbs in side cases and top box. I've also got an Ohlins stx46 rear shock and had properly adjusted preload, and even then it was pretty squirrely at slow speeds and the moment right before coming to a complete stop was still iffy.

Your passenger is going to be 300lbs of concentrated weight at one point above and behind you.

1 hour ago, Garybinnyc said:

I agree with the above replies, my girlfriend is 125 pounds and I wouldn’t want much more than that. The added weight on the back is very noticeable in terms of handling & performance.., of course not a problem for the engine.

As stated previously, the bike is taller and you are a "skinny 160lbs", with the extra weight up high you will literally have your hands full with balance and bike control issues. 

If you have never carried a passenger before it is surprising how even a small passenger can affect handling and make it prone to tipping.  While it sounds nice to carry a passenger for a day out on the bike you have to remember that their safety is 100% in your hands.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thank you for all of your replies.

I think with the weight distribution being the issue (with lots of weight behind me and slightly higher) it probably isn't the best idea unfortunately.

I'd find a thinner gf but this one is really nice :)

Solo riding for now I suppose...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My pillion is closer to 100 lbs and the stock suspension does not like slow maneuvering with her on there. This is an original 2015 FJ09 though but regardless if you’re adding weight to the back you need a new suspension. 

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, rclarkbow said:

Thank you for all of your replies.

I think with the weight distribution being the issue (with lots of weight behind me and slightly higher) it probably isn't the best idea unfortunately.

I'd find a thinner gf but this one is really nice :)

Solo riding for now I suppose...

Overloading your bike can damage things. I’d be worried about 60+lbs over the rated weight carrying capacity way out toward the end of the subframe damaging or breaking something. 

Let’s go Brandon

You haven't really mentioned your skill or experience level with passengers, or your passenger's experience. I have known some couples of similar dimension who rode all over the place. It can be done safely and motorcycles don't magically fall apart a few pounds over the GVWR.

One of my wife's friends was of a similar size, and she's asked for rides and I've toted her around several times on various bikes. Haven't seen her in a while (some mysterious falling-out between the ladies; I'm better off not knowing), so I have no idea how the FJ-09 would work, but I have every confidence that it would also be fine.

No, you're not going to set any speed records, but you can go putt around a bit and the bike isn't going to break.

I'm very experienced, and my wife's friend was also a pretty skilled passenger; there's a certain set of skills required from the passenger.

Another consideration is just plain fit; on bikes with trunks, the passenger may not fit very well 'twixt rider and top box. Also, it can be pretty difficult for ladies to clamber aboard, unless they have a lot of agility. I used to pull up next to a curb whenever possible so my wife would have less of a leap.

My wife is no longer interested in riding, so I don't know much about how steerage on the FJ-09 compares to other bikes.

One last hint: never, and I mean NEVER, let a lady see you adjust preload...

Edited by bwringer